Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
fossil...

delete one of your posts... they are getting annoying

now back on topic.

Including the land they have purchased from Lockheed Martin, they have more than enough room to do what they want. They already own Wet-N-Wild. 100 acres is HUGE for a waterpark (and actually, a good size for a theme park).. so lets do some math here..

100*2 for the waterparks = 200 acres

150*2 for more theme parks = 300 acres

20*12 for a dozen more resorts =240 acres

100*2 for the golf courses = 200

this equals 940...

1200 - 940 = 260 acres. This is MORE than enough room to build the additional timeshare units they want.

Universal has all the room they need.

Now that I'm done proving you wrong, will you please stop your incessant rantings?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by pheneix
I thought the land preserved for wildlife ended up becoming Celebration. :confused:

No......they haven't touched land set aside.

I'd get involved but this could get ugly, and I'm behaving now......

DisneyFreak721

The land that was purchased to be preserved isnt even on the property that is considered Walt Disney World. Its off to the side somewhere. It says so in "since the world began"

ghosthost13

:) Ladies and gentlemen, can't we all just get along and enjoy both companies theme parks. I work at Universal and I love Disney. I'm not concerned with who has the best or worst park, who has the most land to build on, or the best attractions. I love going to both parks equally. The way things are now, I wouldn't want to have one without the other. Let the BIG WIGS handle the whole competition thing. That's not for us. We should just enjoy having different entertainment experiences from who I consider to be the two most entertaining companies on this planet. Let's just enjoy the ride and as each company expands upon it's parks, that should push us all with excitement and anticipation to return and see what new fun awaits us.:wave:

Main Street USA

I'm not taking anyone's side here, but I will state my opinion.....

To those who think Universal will "win" because they have more thrill rides are missing the point. As stated above, Universal seems to be targeting the teenage crowd, which is why they are a COMPLETELY different kind of park then Disney. Disney is family oriented and their rides AND property show that.

Universal consists of 2 parks and a hotel or 2, while Disney consists of 4 parks, many resorts, 2 water parks, ITS OWN CITY, plus enough land to do whatever they can think up. MKTiggerman, your posts about acerage are a little off. The waterpark comment is about right, but saying about a dozen resorts can fit within 240 acres is absurd. You may have proved Fossil wrong, but the POINT made still holds up. 40,000 acres is WAY more than 1200.

As ar as guest service is concerned, I'm not down at either park enough to comment on my own, so I'm going to use MKTiggerman again. Assuming he's right about the way things are concerning attitude at the two parks, then I would agree that Universal is on the rise. Disney has declined in this area, but there are still CM's at Disney that will go out of their way for you.

Simply put, there is no fair comparison between these two places in ANY area. They are way too different to bother arguing back and forth about who's better. They're simply different. Very different.:)

JLW11Hi

Which ever park you think is better, I think that they are both great. I give Universal credit because they are the ONLY company that seems to be doing ANYTHING like Disney has been doing and doing right for the past 50 years since Disneyland opened. This goes for park clenliness, the ride types (not just roller coasters), the shows, and everything else that these theme parks have to offer that normal amusement parks don't have. Really, have any other parks been made up to these standards? Not that I know of, anyway. So since they are only 2 of these resort types out there, I think that they should both be recognized as great. (And I can see officials from both companies visiting the other company's park and giving them the same credit)

Anyway, that's my opinion.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Fievel

No......they haven't touched land set aside.

I'd get involved but this could get ugly, and I'm behaving now......

We can see that, you even have a happy couple avatar now! :lol: :D

WDWspider

Originally posted by Main Street USA
They're simply different. Very different.:)

I agree. I try to make this point all the time. If they weren't different then what would be the point. Universal Studios is a very different experience from MGM, Islands of Adventure is very different from all the other parks, Animal Kingdom is Different as well. They each fill a different target audience. Universal Studios seems to reach Adults more with older movie themed rides like Terminator, Jaws, Twister, and even the Halloween Horror Nights. Islands of Adventure makes up for the thrill seeker crowd. AK - Animals, MK - Family, EPCOT - Discovery, MGM - Youth version of Universal with push on shows rather than rides, Seaworld - Ocean Life. They are all on Multi-level platforms and can all survive on their own.

All Universal wants by this slogan is to make their parks more and more appealing than Disney. For each person who woud have stayed at Disney, but instead stays on Universal Ground (even for only part of their trip) it is a huge gain for Universal, but no major loss for Disney. When or if Universal can get big enough that people have to decide whether to stay at one or the other, then the battle gets major. Especially if Universal starts getting the people with those choices.

That's why I think Disney is looking at an Amusement type of park. It eliminates the need for people to venture outside of their property. Why do you think they have a Circus, a Luau Show, Putt-Putt, WWoS, Disneyquest, and everything else. But you can't compare the parks on a direct basis, not even a resort basis. The slogan is meant for Universal to strive and steal Vacationers time so it is spent at their park and not anywhere else. If they can do that, they DO win!! Regardless of who is better, older, newer, more thrilling, more family oriented, or whatever.

DanStat

Originally posted by pheneix

Considering that Universal's master plan calls for 4 theme parks, over a dozen resorts, two shopping and dining districts, two water parks, at least two golf courses, and an unspecified amount of timeshare units at total build out, that's not too bad at all for 2,000 acres.

Disney already has 4 theme parks, over a dozen resorts, two shopping and dining districts, three water parks, and three or four golf courses...and they still have room to expand!

JLW11Hi

Disney has about 6 golf courses, I think.

Palm, Magnolia, Oak, Osprey Ridge, Eagle Pines, and Lake Buena Vista. And I think they are making an 18 hole course near Celebration. I haven't got to golf at any of these yet!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by disneyprep50321

Disney already has 4 theme parks, over a dozen resorts, two shopping and dining districts, three water parks, and three or four golf courses...and they still have room to expand!

and they also had a 20+ year head start as well... am I the only objective person on these boards?????????

just curious

goofyfan13

Both Companies offer differant things. And as long as they do differant crowds will go to each one. I love Disney, but I'm not gonna come out and bash Universal, I enjoyed some of the rides they had at their parks and the theming is pretty cool too. Competition is a very good thing, it keeps the prices down and keeps quality up. Anyway Disney doesn't have a 20 plus year head start on Universal, Its only in the low teens since Disney opened in 1971 and Universal opened somewhere in the mid 80's.

jwbeck3

Now I'm ed Disney used 10,000 acres of their land for Celebration. I had thought it was extra land they purchased. They could have used that for theme parks. Damn

pheneix

>>>Universal opened somewhere in the mid 80's.<<<

Universal Studios opened in 1990, one year after MGM did. So yes, Disney has roughly a 20 year headstart.

>>>am I the only objective person on these boards?<<<

Maybe it's time to do a blinders check and find out. :)

>>>Now I'm ed Disney used 10,000 acres of their land for Celebration.<<<

In the end, I have a feeling that Disney will be too.

JLW11Hi

I wish Disney would have some sort of way to introduce the public to Celebration and keep them informed of what is going on there. That was the main focus of the original Epcot design: to let the public in on everything. I can understand that the people living in Celebration wouldn't want tourists looking in on them 24-7, but I think Disney should at least have some sort of place where they showcase the new ideas and technologies being used in Celebration, like at Epcot. I mean, wasn't that the whole idea of having a planned community in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom