"We Will Win" signs posted over Universal Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mktiggerman
From speaking to Bob Gault personally, I can tell you what "We Will Win" is about. It is a campaign aimed at improving guest service at Universal, and adding more entertainment for guests to see.

I go to both parks on a semi daily basis, and I can tell you that Disney's standards are definitely lowering, while Universals are going up. Yesterday alone I had CM's yelling (that's right.. YELLING) at me for putting my CM ID into the fastpass machine the wrong way, and parking lot CM's telling me I couldn't go to drop off at MGM to drop off my nephew. And when I told management about this, I got laughed at in one case (fastpass) and told there was nothing they could do about it in the other one (parking lot).

Yet on the other side of Orlando theme parks, at Universal, employees can now be terminated for not smiling in guest areas.

hmm... those of you who are bashing Universal may soon be proven wrong (not to mention that WDW only has 2 confirmed new attractions in 4 parks, while UO has 3 in 2 parks, as well as a new show... hmm)

I think WDW may want to be rethinking its strategy soon

Basically, you took the words out of my mouth. I never saw the whole thing as a "war". No rehab or change of show is gonna make me skip any of the parks. BUT the one thing that always set the standard was hygiene and CM behavior. Guests have been complaining more and more about both problems at WDW. If Universal is striving to finally put its image of bad CMs behind them, Disney really should wake up and realize that the great CMs, the ones that work with their heart because they love Disney and what it represents, are going to Universal, maybe because there they are better looked upon.

Again, it's not a war, but it is a matter of politeness, and as Rob said, Universal might come out on top on this one.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Disney has a huge headstart in central Florida. Disneyworld is a destination, Universal is not. Universal will never really be in a position to compete until they reach a point where people can spend their entire vacation at their parks. Once they reach that point, then they can be considered a competitor, rather than a parasite.

Fossil

Original Poster
Originally posted by dponisci
and universal is definitely trying to get people to stay at their parks for extended amounts of time by building new hotels and theyre all very nice and affordable including Portofino Bay, Hard Rock and the brand new Loews property. Theyre really making strides and i'm sure we'll see expansion again in the near future.

Expand?!? Where are they going to expand? THEY HAVE NO SPACE!

Sketch105

Re: Re: IOA

Originally posted by Rider

No, I think that title would go to Euro Disneyland.

First of all, Its not Euro Disneyland, its Disneyland Paris.

Second, its doing great now. Its one of Europe's most visited landmarks.

Everything thinks it failed, but that was back in the mid 90s!!!!!!!!!!!

Sketch105

Its not a war.

Its a competition. A never-ending battle to get more guests.

It seems like this "We Will Win" campaign is futile, because there will never be an end. Each park will have its ups and downs with hotel capacities and attraction numbers, etc. But there's no end.

Disney goes through bad times. Universal goes through bad times. Let's adopt a laissez-faire attitude: Business is Business.

I used to believe in that whole Universal vs. Disney crap. But the real underlying thing is supplying there own agendas. Disney caters to enchanting, magical, and fun-filled journies. Universal goes for the jugular, offering flashy spectacle and open scares and thrills. (and thats not a bad thing, thats a good thing!)

Of course, these are just by my definitions. Maybe you think Disney is flashy spectacle and Universal has more heart.

There will be no end. Disney and Universal will see both good and bad days.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by tenchu
But every company is trying to monopolise the market. If they are better than the opposition, people will go there. If people don't go to the other parks, they will close. If the other parks close, everyone will go to the victorious company!

(Or something like that.)

Disney better not be trying to monopolize the market! i know they're doing a pretty good job at staying one step ahead of the competitors. but if they're trying to monopolize, they'd better get their heads out of the clouds! if i have understood this correctly, monopolies are illegal. what do you think all that crap was with Microsoft a few years ago? they were monopolizing the market, so the government stepped in....not really sure what ended up happening, but Disney better watch themselves if that's their plan!
same goes for Universal

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: Re: Re: IOA

Originally posted by Sketch105

First of all, Its not Euro Disneyland, its Disneyland Paris.

Second, its doing great now. Its one of Europe's most visited landmarks.

Everything thinks it failed, but that was back in the mid 90s!!!!!!!!!!!

Right! and it is infact THE most visited attraction in the whole of Europe, and it has held that record for every single year since opening. DLP has been a major success.

Dwarful

We went to WDW from May 25-June3. We hit US for two days..one at each of the parks...but our tickets were soo much cheaper at US..they have an internet price of $79 for adults for 5 day passes, $69 for kids 5 day passes. We personally didnt need more than two days as US wasnt that crowded and we hopped over to IoA for teh last few hours of day one. Then Day two did IoA. The older boys in our group...12 & 15 and my husband all really liked the IoA rides even the 5 yr old loved Spiderman. We did notice they seem to be doing a better job of keeping the trash cans empty..not sure if they hire more people just to do that job or what. Still we spent the remaining days at WDW...minus one at Cocoa Beach/Ron Jon's~ But husband and I decided next year when we go with just our two girls who are now 2 & 5 we will skip everything but WDW and one day at the beach. Just our opinion that they are lacking in the area of small children...I mean Seuss Landing has three rides one is a "merry go round" so not alot for younger set! wouldnt go and pay the gate fee that is for sure..but the internet price is a great deal.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
IOA may not be a major attraction for toddlers, but I think they are targeting the consumers of tommorow, the teens. My kids think its excellent, and they dont give a hoot about how smiley a cast member is.

As for Disneyland Paris, It may get plenty of visitors but it would be interesting to see how many of them are repeat guests.
It is getting better but Id rather see an American style theme park in America.

Dwarful

You hit the nail on the head Happy Snapper...the teen boys and hubby were the happiest...the toddler and the younger girls had less to do. I probably should have just taken the girls to MK for an extra two days on my own but we did have fun. Still if your kids are younger I would avoid it...if they are pre teens or teens then its a must see if they are adventurous kids.

leeocean

Originally posted by Herbie53
Disney has a huge headstart in central Florida. Disneyworld is a destination, Universal is not. Universal will never really be in a position to compete until they reach a point where people can spend their entire vacation at their parks. Once they reach that point, then they can be considered a competitor, rather than a parasite.

I agree - does Universal even own enough land to compete with Disney in the realm of future expansion? I don't think they will ever be able to be a real threat. They are definitely more of a parasite.

pheneix

>>>It's true they don't have space to expand!<<<

As a matter of fact, that is completely untrue. Universal owns well over 1200 acres of land off Sand Lake Road (just west of John Young Parkway, I think). As I understand it, they had originally bought 2000 acres, but have sold parcels of it to the Convention Center and various resorts for development. For those keeping score, Universal Orlando currently sits on 840 acres.

In addition, look at the photo I got off Mapquest at the end of this post and look at all of the land ripe for expansion south of IOA (NOTE: Some of this has already been used for the Royal Pacific, about half of the land east of Adventure Way). There is also a GIGANTIC plot of land between MIB and BTTF that is unused. There is a thread on Theme Park Insider that details this much better:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=488

There's also some interesting speculation there about what Universal will be doing with the land along I-Drive.

I'm sorry, but any claims about Universal not having any land to expand are untrue.

Attachments

• uniorl.jpg
    uniorl.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 274

Fossil

Original Poster
Yes it is true! About 60%The Universal Orlando Resort fits into Animal Kingdom. They barely have space. You could fit about 50 Universal Orlando resorts into Disney World if it's true what u said about how big it is.

pheneix

>>>Yes it is true! About 60%The Universal Orlando Resort fits into Animal Kingdom.<<<

Over half of Animal Kingdom is composed of facilities to take care of the animals. 500 acres does not represent the total land avaliable for guest access, not by a long shot.

But then again, how much land you have can be offset by how well you use it. For example: Disneyland sits on only about 80% of the land that the Magic Kingdom does, yet it contains many more attractions than it's Florida counterpart. Similarly, Animal Kingdom, as you said, could make up 60% of the land at Universal Orlando. Yet Animal Kingdom only satisfies visitors for roughly half of a day, whereas Universal Orlando's two parks and easily fill two days for the average guest.

>>>They barely have space.<<<

I just told you that they have 1200 acres of land that has not even been used! I wouldn't say they "barely have space."

>>>You could fit about 50 Universal Orlando resorts into Disney World if it's true what u said about how big it is.<<<

Let's see, 2040 acres into 26,500 acres, um, that works out to around 13 times. If you take out the 10,000 acres or so that Disney used for Celebration, then Universal is going to fit in WDW 8 times.

Considering that Universal's master plan calls for 4 theme parks, over a dozen resorts, two shopping and dining districts, two water parks, at least two golf courses, and an unspecified amount of timeshare units at total build out, that's not too bad at all for 2,000 acres.

Fossil

Original Poster
Disney has about 40,000 acres and um... one more question... where is Universal planning to put those other 2 parks, waterparks and all that other stuff when they have NO SPACE?!?!?

Fossil

Original Poster
Disney has about 40,000 acres and um... one more question... where is Universal planning to put those other 2 parks, waterparks and all that other stuff when they have NO SPACE?!?!? If they want to be a resort it should all be included into one area... and like i have said before they have no space:hammer:

Fossil

Original Poster
and does it matter if a lot of Animal Kingdom is used for the services of animals...it's still part of the park! And the rest of the acreage you are adding to Universal's land size isn't even at the Universal location meaning there resort can't be big enough to add the other parks!

DisneyKrazed

Originally posted by Fossil
and does it matter if a lot of Animal Kingdom is used for the services of animals...it's still part of the park! And the rest of the acreage you are adding to Universal's land size isn't even at the Universal location meaning there resort can't be big enough to add the other parks!

Please just edit previous post in order to add new information. Do not spam. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom