We Survived Ian … in an RV. Another JenniferS Live Trip Report

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Copy and paste from FB:

Good morning Family and Friends!
Well that was a bumpy night. Zero rain though, so no flooding here.

We made the decision to pull in the slides before 11:00 when things got rocky, which meant we lost access to the tv. I’ve been reading on line though that some places got hit hard. Not here.

The only good thing about hurricanes is that you have days to prepare. When we decided to move here, it looked to be the PERFECT location. Then the storm track changed a bit and we ended up getting higher winds than we expected. Still a pretty good place to be though.

We lost power for about 40 minutes last night, but it was back on before midnight. Putting the slides back out shortly and making coffee. I need coffee!

These things are meant to withstand wind once parked. They bounce for sure, but with the outer band winds we received, we were fine.

If you’re old enough to get the reference - Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down.

Thank you everyone for the many messages. We are fine. Better, once we have coffee. I’ll post pics or a video later. Here’s one from the bedroom window for now.

6BF0DB07-93D1-418D-8FB3-B656EFF74CF1.jpeg

NYwdwfan

Copy and paste from FB:

Good morning Family and Friends!
Well that was a bumpy night. Zero rain though, so no flooding here.

We made the decision to pull in the slides before 11:00 when things got rocky, which meant we lost access to the tv. I’ve been reading on line though that some places got hit hard. Not here.

The only good thing about hurricanes is that you have days to prepare. When we decided to move here, it looked to be the PERFECT location. Then the storm track changed a bit and we ended up getting higher winds than we expected. Still a pretty good place to be though.

We lost power for about 40 minutes last night, but it was back on before midnight. Putting the slides back out shortly and making coffee. I need coffee!

These things are meant to withstand wind once parked. They bounce for sure, but with the outer band winds we received, we were fine.

If you’re old enough to get the reference - Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down.

Thank you everyone for the many messages. We are fine. Better, once we have coffee. I’ll post pics or a video later. Here’s one from the bedroom window for now.

View attachment 670054
I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say, "Phew".

John park hopper

Stay safe. Had the exact thing happen to my 9 year old LG just last month. Same compressor issue. Same 10 year warranty. But I was quoted $800 for labor. I got a Frigidaire. And mine was also delivered on a Wednesday. 🤣 What did you get?
We got a Whirlpool had good customer ratings --I wanted a Frigidaire have one in the garage been running for years got it from my Uncle he had it a long time. Wife wanted the Whirlpool since she's in the kitchen keep her happy. Wind is picking up here --no rain yet saying we could get 8" or more.

NYwdwfan

We got a Whirlpool had good customer ratings --I wanted a Frigidaire have one in the garage been running for years got it from my Uncle he had it a long time. Wife wanted the Whirlpool since she's in the kitchen keep her happy. Wind is picking up here --no rain yet saying we could get 8" or more.
Oh geez. Stay safe.

When I called for the repair the woman I spoke to said they get the least number of calls for Frigidaire refrigerators so that’s why I went with them. She also said they had been having issues getting parts for the Samsung and LG repairs so would recommend avoiding them. She said GE and Whirlpool were also less serviced by them. All just anecdotal recommendations but I took her as somewhat of an expert being she’s the one that schedules the appointments.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Oh geez. Stay safe.

When I called for the repair the woman I spoke to said they get the least number of calls for Frigidaire refrigerators so that’s why I went with them. She also said they had been having issues getting parts for the Samsung and LG repairs so would recommend avoiding them. She said GE and Whirlpool were also less serviced by them. All just anecdotal recommendations but I took her as somewhat of an expert being she’s the one that schedules the appointments.

I have a small pocket for a fridge so I had very few options when I had to replace mine. It had to be small and counter depth or whatever. I think I could choose between three fridges overall. I went with GE because of all three things you said. Less repair calls, specifically.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
when is moving day to WDW?
It’s been cancelled. 🙁

Was supposed to have been Sunday, but there is no re-opening date for Fort Wilderness at this time.

I just got off the phone with the call centre. They have no idea when it’s re-opening, and the CM agreed that it’s not likely to be by Sunday.

We talked about going back to the Keys, but now we’re thinking of just heading home. It will take two days to get to Pigeon Forge, and then a full day to clean it, pack everything, winterize, and then put it in storage. That would get us home by Thursday some time … just in time for Thanksgiving weekend.

Also, I have a tooth bugging me. Maybe I can get a dentist appointment for Friday before the long weekend.

Disappointed, of course, but we’ve had a pretty awesome vacation. No complaints. Disney will have to wait. Maybe Tron will be open by then.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
{{HUGS}} I'm sorry everything didn't work out as planned but thank you for one of the best TRs ever!
Does this mean you're hitting the road tomorrow? If so please be careful as Ian isn't quite done yet View attachment 670188View attachment 670189View attachment 670190
Thank you.

We’re here until Sunday, then two days to get to Pigeon Forge where we will clean, pack, and winterize. We won’t be home for almost a week.

Mike has said numerous times that this is the worst travelling weather we have ever encountered. Every time we hook up the trailer, the wind starts blowing, the lightning starts flashing, and the Heavens open up. Trust me, we’re going to give Ian a good head start before we hit the road.

We’re disappointed, but it’s been a heck of a trip! I just finished cancelling all ADR’s and transferred our one-day tickets to September 2023. They can be changed again, but I had to pick an arbitrary date and just do it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ll be crazy ticked if those campgrounds miraculously open on the 2nd after all. 😂😂

I’m kind of surprised, given that we’re supposed to be checking in in two days, that we didn’t receive some kind of communication from Disney. It’s pretty easy to send out an automated bulk email to everyone with a campground reservation.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thank you.

We’re here until Sunday, then two days to get to Pigeon Forge where we will clean, pack, and winterize. We won’t be home for almost a week.

Mike has said numerous times that this is the worst travelling weather we have ever encountered. Every time we hook up the trailer, the wind starts blowing, the lightning starts flashing, and the Heavens open up. Trust me, we’re going to give Ian a good head start before we hit the road.

We’re disappointed, but it’s been a heck of a trip! I just finished cancelling all ADR’s and transferred our one-day tickets to September 2023. They can be changed again, but I had to pick an arbitrary date and just do it.
The boys have better have a clean house, a new table and Thanksgiving dinner waiting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some creative solutions if they don't:angelic:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
The boys have better have a clean house, a new table and Thanksgiving dinner waiting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some creative solutions if they don't:angelic:
I have a cleaning lady; the glass will need to be custom ordered; and although I’ll get Spenser to pick up the turkey, I’ll be the one cooking it, to ensure no one gets salmonella.

John park hopper

Well it looks like Ian is headed right for us as a cat 1 supposed to make land fall about noon time on high tide. Raining hard now and windy Local weather is saying 4-8" rain saying a storm surge is possible I think we are OK weather is not saying how high. Still have power --got the generator set up started yesterday just to make sure it would run --got plenty of gas. My Golden Retriever senses something she follows me all around the house usually doesn't do that. It's going to be an interesting day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom