Pre-Trip We just couldn't resist the crowds (or lack there of!) - *Live-ish*

We are planners, I swear we are. I remember one time pre-kids, pre-marriage we got up and thought "let's be crazy and go to a basketball game", and that was spontaneous for us.

But this is going to take the cake:

image1.png

More details to come (as we figure them out!)

Spash007

Original Poster
Great report so far! I couldn't resist the lure of low crowds and DVC rental deals either, so I'm in a Poly studio starting next Wednesday.

My kiddos are all grown so I miss the magic of seeing everything through their young eyes, but this trip I'm going solo as a "post-divorce/2020 has been a crapshow so far" adventure all to myself :)

I was wondering about your experience in taking the bus from Poly to DHS. I only have one day at Studios, and as a die-hard Star Wars fan I'm determined to get a boarding pass for ROTR. I've been practicing daily on my phone, but have been debating whether to rely on the bus or get an Uber that morning. I've read where busses usually start running around 8:30, but I will be a nervous wreck if I'm still waiting for a bus at 9 or after. It sounds like you were able to catch a bus and be there in time to procure the precious boarding passes.....how did it go?

Your report is definitely getting me excited for next week......the lack of crowds and walk on rides sound amazing!

2020 hasn’t just been awful, and while there are clear reminders of everything going on here, it really is that escape still. Maybe we’ve just gotten used to masks and distancing, but I had been worried that those things would take away the magic and put some damper on the trip. I haven’t found that at all.

For DHS, we ended up not leaving until around noon, so we didn’t try for the 10 am pass and I can’t say how the buses were at that time. At noon we waited around 10 minutes, but in the mean time, there were 3 Epcot buses. Well be going to Animal Kingdom on Sunday morning, and I doubt we’ll leave before 8, so I’ll keep my eye out for any HS buses and let you know

Spash007

Original Poster
So happy your family was able to go to WDW!!! Sounds like you're having a great trip! I'm impressed with how well your little ones did on their first day! You got a lot done in MK that day!

The mask thing is frustrating, but I guess that will happen anywhere. I just plan on keeping my distance from those people. So glad you loved Galaxy's Edge and how'd your daughter like Slinky Dog? Or is she not quite tall enough yet?

For the most part there’s been ample enough of room to stay away from anyone who isn’t now wearing it well. The only time we had an issue was in the line for Splash today a dad and his son were behind us and not paying attention to the lines, and had their masks below their noses. They asked to meet up with the people in front of us so I get it to a point, but you bet we then left more than the required space between us.

She’s loved Slinky! She was able to go on it our last trip in 2018 too and liked it then, but now she has a real appreciation for coasters and thrill rides, so she said that was one of her favorites at HS.

Spash007

Original Poster
Good morning! Yesterday was hot, and even more so humid, so we definitely dragged a bit. Add in two kids going to bed later than usual and skipping naps (L apparently won’t sleep in the stroller as well as C did when she was his age), we’re glad today is a break day. Still though, it was a good day!

In the morning we did Astro Orbitor, Space, Buzz, Pirates and Splash. Other than Buzz and Pirates, the rest we’re firsts for C and she really enjoyed them. Especially Splash and Space, which we did Rider Swap on. We also saw Pooh and friends and the Goofy cavalcade, grabbed lunch at Pecos Bill, and L and I hung out on the boardwalk in Frontierland for a while watching the boats go by. One of the biggest differences for us this this trip as a combination of doing rider swap so much and the low crowds is that we’re taking time to just explore and find new areas to enjoy.

BFC7C84A-D20A-4EB9-8B4E-A2AF2A4E7797.jpeg

4E46A452-9B7F-4C43-93B9-1AFBFA1C91F1.jpeg

ABC231B9-FD2F-48C2-8A57-A5DA0D5718D1.jpeg

624A7908-6B54-4C7C-90B4-CDF06C76B1F3.jpeg

B4B68025-2A25-40CD-8E7F-BFDF2E52CE34.jpeg

After some naps and a thunderstorm cooled things down, we headed back to the park, and got on Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Peter Pan and C and K got on 7DMT right before closing. It had started raining during BTM, but we didn’t let that damper our fun! As K and C were on 7DMT, L and I raced over to Tomorrowland to pick up one of those personalize bricks with our names on it that we’re going to use as our big souvenir for this trip. We usually do something with autographs, but this is a nice substitute. We also got to see the Princesses that C loved (especially Merida) and Mickey and friends. Heading back, L and I stopped at Contempo Cafe and picked up some pizzas and salad, and we all met up at the room.

094EB931-F288-47A6-8F7B-156A9EE21BA8.jpeg

135AA84F-E207-4486-AA50-1B402DD2B91A.jpeg

A4A6D476-403A-49B9-AED7-1AA9B039AFC4.jpeg

5394B935-652F-4BF8-AF44-F9A224F02539.jpeg

Today the plan is hit up DS with lunch at Homecoming, and then drive around a bit which we’ve always wanted to do. We’ll probably get to the pool later, and try to get to bed early!

slipperalwaysfits

She’s loved Slinky! She was able to go on it our last trip in 2018 too and liked it then, but now she has a real appreciation for coasters and thrill rides, so she said that was one of her favorites at HS

The perfect age for Slinky!! Is she getting the hang of the pulleys on TSMM for shooting targets?

L and I raced over to Tomorrowland to pick up one of those personalize bricks with our names on it that we’re going to use as our big souvenir for this trip.

What a nice idea for a souvenir this year! Glad you all managed BTMRR and Seven Dwarves ---even with light rain!

We also got to see the Princesses that C loved (especially Merida)

Princesses. Princesses are magic. At that age, at every age. But especially that age. Anyway, I'm so glad she can see them and kind of interact with them even though it's most definitely not the same.

So sorry L isn't a great napper. I've heard amazing things about Homecomin', I hope you enjoy it! Off days are highly underrated!

DisneyGigi

I’m late to the live part but I am here now that things are calming down a little. So glad you are there and having a good trip. I could so go for a Cobb salad from Brown Derby right now! I love them. Have fun, great pics. :)

Minnesota disney fan

I'm late too! But I got to read 3 pages, LOL!
I can't believe how deserted the parks look! It must feel really strange, but also good to be able to walk on rides and to be able to just walk without dodging people.
Following along and living through your TR!

Spash007

Original Poster
The perfect age for Slinky!! Is she getting the hang of the pulleys on TSMM for shooting targets?

What a nice idea for a souvenir this year! Glad you all managed BTMRR and Seven Dwarves ---even with light rain!

Princesses. Princesses are magic. At that age, at every age. But especially that age. Anyway, I'm so glad she can see them and kind of interact with them even though it's most definitely not the same.

So sorry L isn't a great napper. I've heard amazing things about Homecomin', I hope you enjoy it! Off days are highly underrated!

She’s starting to get the hang of it, but let’s just say she takes after her dad and is not the best with athletic type coordination lol.

And it’s funny, when I would read Trip Reports of people with older kids, I would always be worried about the days she got older and how different things would be. But this trip, when she’s now riding all the big rides, she still lit up for Merida and the other Princesses. Merida is very much her favorite, and her mask has Merida on it. When Merida saw her mask, they had a real interaction, even if it was from further away. I feel like that’s the magic of Disney at play, to somehow take the current situation, and still give that magic.

I’m late to the live part but I am here now that things are calming down a little. So glad you are there and having a good trip. I could so go for a Cobb salad from Brown Derby right now! I love them. Have fun, great pics. :)

I’m so glad things are calming on your part! I’ve been saying prayers for your family every night here. And you should be able to have the Cobb salad soon right?

I'm late too! But I got to read 3 pages, LOL!
I can't believe how deserted the parks look! It must feel really strange, but also good to be able to walk on rides and to be able to just walk without dodging people.
Following along and living through your TR!

The first night the low crowds felt weird, and we just kept laughing like kids getting on rides or seeing how empty the park was. But I am afraid we’re getting a bit to used to it - the walk on Peter Pan even felt a bit too normal. And I’m afraid we created a monster in C - she said how long we had to wait for BTMM, when the wait was 15 minutes!

Spash007

Original Poster
Not a huge update here. This morning we spent some time on the beach, and I picked up a rental car so we could drive to DS and meet up with a friend who lives nearby. Lunch was at Homecoming which was great as always, although we got very full from it. We did a bit of shopping, but eventually called it quits a bit early just because of the heat, and L just being exhausted after having a weird nap schedule the last few days.

E73F7691-6D4A-4245-8127-5A84DA944946.jpeg

9903F520-18F0-49BB-B722-227538B8E618.jpeg

723C2D4A-0BDE-4926-8C2B-C258FF90C30F.jpeg

We met up with a friend who lives nearby who I think wants us to move down here, but although tempting, I still like Disney as a vacation from the real world.

We had been hoping to spend a lot of time by the pool this evening, but the rain started just as we headed down and was very intense all night. We grabbed dinner at Captain Cooks, and some Dole Whips helped to make C feel better since she was looking forward to the pool (even if we had to run back in the rain - at least we were in bathing suits!).

FD63AE7E-2426-40D1-AF8C-ED065385AE86.jpeg

B066B47D-4943-4D40-9C44-5D66CC518918.jpeg

After the kids went to bed, I picked up a couple to go drinks from Tambu, and K and I were able to enjoy a little date night on the balcony.

4F2E8578-35FC-4852-8560-6FE7E4E59DBA.jpeg

Tomorrow is an early day at AK. I hope these drinks don’t make me regret that :D

slipperalwaysfits

When Merida saw her mask, they had a real interaction, even if it was from further away. I feel like that’s the magic of Disney at play, to somehow take the current situation, and still give that magic.
YES! Moments like this make the Disney magic so worth it, even with all the unusualness currently going on at the parks! I'm impressed Merida could see the Merida mask from her horse! 🥰 🥰 🥰

She’s starting to get the hang of it, but let’s just say she takes after her dad and is not the best with athletic type coordination lol.

HAHA, at least she's enjoying it. TSMM is still a challenge for this adult!!

And I’m afraid we created a monster in C - she said how long we had to wait for BTMM, when the wait was 15 minutes!

Can you blame it on the heat with the plexiglass?! That's why she was complaining?:geek::joyfull::jawdrop::bored:

After the kids went to bed, I picked up a couple to go drinks from Tambu, and K and I were able to enjoy a little date night on the balcony.

Awwwwwwwwwwww, how sweet.

Tomorrow is an early day at AK. I hope these drinks don’t make me regret that

Yes, I hope these drinks settle quickly and you have a wonderful day at AK tomorrow!

Spash007

Original Poster
I can’t believe our last night is here already, but all good things come to an end. And getting kids back on normal sleep is something we’re looking forward to :D

Since I’m getting behind I’m going to continue in more detail in a full TR, but for a quick recap of the day we headed to Epcot around noon today. We took a bus to HS so we could take the Skyliner, which was a fun experience. We pretty much hotness all the rides done except Mission Space, and it was wild to see Soarin with a 10 minute wait. Having both the Land and Seas pavilions near empty was great because L could just wander around and explore, which he also did in Dinoland yesterday, and seems to be the most fun for him at this point.

CB2B4C1C-6A3F-4D3F-B6DD-AECA4B8121B0.jpeg

1F43A65A-ACF7-4578-8633-69BCF44936C9.jpeg

6DB5897B-BBB3-45C8-96E4-3D1119567880.jpeg

As far as the festival, I’m not going to lie, it was a bit of a let down. We enjoyed the Mac and cheese and Canada booths, and the tortellini from Italy was very good. Otherwise offerings were just very limited.

47291E2A-FF94-4B85-91D5-693A84372750.jpeg

The best part of the night though was we were the 5th to last group on Frozen, and when we got off at 9:10, the sun had completely gone down and Epcot was deserted. We were thinking of bringing our DSLR camera on this trip and ultimately decided against it, and on this walk out we really regretted it. It was so peaceful and beautiful.

F0C1305E-3DEE-4ECB-8A1C-4A94E34BBC2F.jpeg

45F98676-DDB9-4202-BC18-EB4E298D4817.jpeg

Tomorrow we’re back at the MK in the morning to hit up some favorites, followed most likely by some pool time to refresh, and not then the Tragical is coming for us at 4:30.

Songbird76

Slight update - somehow we went from considering 4 or 5 day tickets, to upgrading to 6 days 😄

It's entirely C's fault - she has fully admitted her crush on Kyle Ren (this liking for bad boys does NOT bode well) and really wants to go to HS, and then when talking to her about it, she said "why don't we just go the first day we get there"? Which got us thinking and realizing we can then do 6 day tickets (which are hardly any more than 5 days) and still get a true rest day.

Now we're just going to finalize our park days tonight, and start making some ADRs (granted we're probably going to wait until we're there to make most of them since there's a ton of availability and we have to see how L does at the parks/if he needs room naps)
Wait....how old is C again? You're in trouble, daddy!! You're going to have your hands full!

Spash007

Original Poster
The live portion is officially done :cry:

We landed about 10 pm last night (after flying next to some lightning which was fascinating but terrifying!), and we’re slowly getting back into things. AKA having a meet the teachers and chrome book pick-up for the virtual school year to start! At least when C told her new teacher that we just got back from Disney, she told us she follows a lot of Disney instagrams and was considering going for a few days. That has to be a good sign!

Yesterday was a great day in MK, seeing more characters, riding some favorites like Space, Splash and HM, and grabbing waffles for lunch. We stayed in the park much longer than planned and scrapped the pool afternoon which we planned, which also meant I ended up missing @Tuvalu in the lobby :banghead:, but our daughter asked to go in the Tiki Room, and can goin ever say no to that?

53F839A8-6DC1-4292-B612-E511438F0183.jpeg

D9C5CAB8-5DFE-4207-9190-6ABD44907875.jpeg

B863FB94-735A-4E49-8641-EABFA0189010.jpeg

3DAC7F72-E499-4DD3-82C1-D0FFF276243D.jpeg

Once we get a bit more settled down and get pictures organized, I’ll start a full TR. Thank you everyone for following along!

slipperalwaysfits

with C’s fearlessness continuing on Dinosaur and Everest.
Nice that C is tall enough to ride so many rides now! I'm guessing she's 5?

it was wild to see Soarin with a 10 minute wait. Having both the Land and Seas pavilions near empty was great because L could just wander around and explore, which he also did in Dinoland yesterday, and seems to be the most fun for him at this point.
A ten minute Soarin' wait is HEAVEN! Also, that's really special to have so much time to explore in the Seas without massive crowds...maybe I'll be lucky enough to take my kid when it's not so crowded. I'm so glad he got to wander around so much!

It was so peaceful and beautiful.

These are the magic moments I live for!

We landed about 10 pm last night (after flying next to some lightning which was fascinating but terrifying!)

We flew through lightning once in Southeast Asia, it was absolutely terrifying!! We kept going up and down in the plane and it was the longest hour of my life!

Spash007

Original Poster
Wait....how old is C again? You're in trouble, daddy!! You're going to have your hands full!
Nice that C is tall enough to ride so many rides now! I'm guessing she's 5?

A ten minute Soarin' wait is HEAVEN! Also, that's really special to have so much time to explore in the Seas without massive crowds...maybe I'll be lucky enough to take my kid when it's not so crowded. I'm so glad he got to wander around so much!

These are the magic moments I live for!

We flew through lightning once in Southeast Asia, it was absolutely terrifying!! We kept going up and down in the plane and it was the longest hour of my life!

She's 5, going to be 6 in 2 months. But with the way she acts, I swear she's 13 sometimes. The good thing is that we kept mentioning her crush on Kylo, so that kind of turned her off from him for now. This may be good training for us when the real boys come calling!

Songbird76

She's 5, going to be 6 in 2 months. But with the way she acts, I swear she's 13 sometimes. The good thing is that we kept mentioning her crush on Kylo, so that kind of turned her off from him for now. This may be good training for us when the real boys come calling!
Who knows....maybe she'll fixate so much on fictional characters that she won't be interested in real people for a while. My 14 year old daughter still shows no signs of being interested in having a romantic relationship. She has good friends, both boys and girls, but it hasn't progressed beyond friendship. She's much more into her education right now. She's excited for school this year because she finally gets to study chemistry.
Maybe if C gets the bad boy fascination out of her system now, she'll be good to go when she finally hits the age of real infatuations with real people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom