Trip Report We’re Breakin’ Free!

Helllooo friends!

It’s been a while. A very long while. I have followed many of your reports and lived vicariously through you so thank you all so much for all the time you put into your reports.

But now it’s my turn.

Or our turn.

We’ve earned this. We have all been through a lot. So what do you do when you’re planning your first holiday in 2+ years and you really truly need to relax and only look after yourself for once?? Answer: You don’t invite your husband and kids 😂.

Here are the players in this report:
36C627D6-8107-4A10-A095-E1F37B5C7040.jpeg

On the left we have my younger sister @AKemily (or I could call her dear sister “DS29” if you like @wdisney9000), myself, and my older sister Kaely (“DS34”) 🤪. Maskless pictures to come but this was our first airport selfie and you still have to wear masks in airports here. We hail from Manitoba, Canada.

As @Tuvalu likes to mention, the Canada pavilion in EPCOT is beautiful. This is what the real Canada looked like this month:

01CF092D-ED62-4D24-BD8D-64CD82148356.jpeg

Well, spoiler alert, it was not the storm of the century although in very non-Winnipeg fashion it shut down schools and everything else in the city for 2 days. But luckily it did not affect our trip.

So we continued to plan. Thankfully on April 1 they dropped the test requirement to return to Canada, however we still need a test to fly into the US. We would not need a test to drive into the US. So we booked our tests, @AKemily who has not yet had covid hunkered down and was not allowed to leave her house for 2 weeks for risk of catching covid, and me and Kaely slapped our masks back on and did our best to avoid a re-infection.

Yesterday afternoon we all did our virtual rapid antigen tests with our breath held and - all negative!!

We did a LOT of tests this week to prepare and try to calm our nerves. I have summoned the artistic skills of @amjt660 and I present to you this work of art:
9A860D8F-42D5-4A62-BD56-96614A7F5920.jpeg

That’s only a very small portion of the tests we did but you get the idea lol.

So the big question (maybe you didn’t even ask this question yet) - where are we going?!?

Well, in honour of @AKemily 30th birthday we are doing her first trip to - DISNEYLAND. California, that is. Kaely and I have both been in the past but each only for short 1 or 2 day trips. So it will be the first time we get to soak it all in.

We flew this morning from Winnipeg to Calgary and are now waiting for our flight to LAX. It’s delayed so far by almost 3 hours and we were thisclose to being able to switch to a flight to Santa Ana but it didn’t work out.

I don’t know how “live” I’ll be able to do this but stay tuned and I’ll try to provide some snapshot updates as we go!

Also, I fell off my suitcase this morning when we were waiting in line at the airport and if I don’t post this picture I know Emily will so here you go.
5771DB08-AB58-4DD1-8088-91D069C8E131.jpeg

AKemily

Emily led us down the sidewalk, past a large portion of the crowd and we merged (which is a word most Manitoba drivers don’t understand) further up the crowd. Me and Kaely kept our eyes on our shoes we were so ashamed but Emily just owned it! There’s no rules! Disneyland has proven again that they don’t believe in crowd control and we just took advantage of that! Sorry. I feel I owe you all a sincere apology. It won’t happen again. Probably. 🙈
No regrets.
However I was outvoted by my 2 super duper buzzed sisters who in the moment thought it would be HILARIOUS to ride fantasyland rides with a buzz.

Well friends. I did the research so you don’t have to. The 100% guaranteed best way to ruin a VERY expensive midday buzz??

Half an hour in a 30+ degree (that’s like 90 Fahrenheit) line for Storybook Land Canals. It was not hilarious. It was pure torture. (To be fair I think it was posted at 10 minutes. Which was a lie)
Looks like we also did small world
Confirmed: quickest way to kill a buzz. 0/10 would not attempt again. Also, we definitely did Small World first, but don't ask me to recall any other details about it.

Then Mr Toad… What even is this ride?? It’s bizarre. But I steered the car the whole time which made it more entertaining.
You should have seen how hard she steered when that train came straight at us 😂 All to no avail.
The perfect photobomb!!
To be fair, I thought Kaely was taking a pic of Main Street and not her churro, but hilarious all the same.
GoG #3 (I wanna say.. hit me with your best shot)
Def the Jackson 5:banghead:
Excellent TR - enjoyed following along
The photobomb was hard to catch- she was well hidden behind the group walking across

Gotta ask one question not that you have been on Mission Breakout

Do you prefer ToT or Mission Breakout?

Max
Thanks Max, I try. I knew she had no idea I was standing there and I jumped at the opportunity 😄

And thanks for asking! Here's my definitive, indisputable comparison of rides at DLR vs WDW:

Disneyland won in these categories:
- BTMRR (though it only has a slight edge due to smoothness and effects. The WDW version still has my heart❤️)
- Astro Blasters (easier to tell when you actually hit something, fewer gun troubles)
- Haunted Mansion (also a slight edge due to the actual elevator stretching room - just made the effect cooler)
- Railroad (cool dinosaur scenes????)
- Space Mountain (nice to sit next to someone, just a smoother ride in general. Also, similar but different was the Matterhorn, which I expected to be like WDW's Space but in a mountain, but it was actually terrifying - who knew there was a yeti??)
- Radiator Springs beat Test Track, no competition. Not a Test Track fan.
- Web slingers was fun but I don't think I'll miss it. I don't know what I was imagining but it wasn't just another shooting game. Still, I was better than my sisters were so...
- Overall travel (can't beat walking to the parks in 8 minutes)

WDW wins in:
- Dinosaur over Indy (Dinosaur all the way. Indy's too creepy)
- Philharmagic (screen and theatre were just not it. Coco was cute though)
- SPLASH. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That was traumatic. I LOVE WDW's Splash. DLR's flew through the scenes, so you couldn't really enjoy them. And even if they didn't, you get absolutely friggin' drenched and are unable to recover from the trauma before they send you down another drop. And you don't even get to sit next to someone and your sisters just use you as a human shield. Do we need to have another review of how wet I was BEFORE the big drop? Let's go over that again, shall we?
90BBC8E9-B68B-4511-AB95-BBE56A616C1F.jpeg

- Overall experience. As Teresa said, DLR feels more like a theme park when WDW is a whole experience. You definitely miss EPCOT and DAK.

Jungle Cruise was equal. Mater's is equal to A$$. Smuggler's Run is equal. We'd never done Rise at WDW so can't say there, I imagine they're the same. Soarin's the same but it was nice to do Soarin' Over California again. Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid were all equal. If I could remember IASW, I would review it, but alas.:hilarious:

As for Mission Breakout vs Tower of Terror, this is a hard call. I didn't realize (or forgot) that the DCA version doesn't go forward, just shoots you up right away. This takes off points for me as I feel it's a simpler ride. But Guardians is just so fun!!

In summation, even though DLR has a lot to offer WDW still takes the cake! But I was so glad to experience Walt's original park, and so glad to be able to do it with my sisters on my 30th birthday! Who'd have thought that would be possible? We had so much fun! Thanks for everyone who followed along on our adventures! I have a tentative WDW trip in the books for the end of October (which has already been cancelled twice due to COVID) and cannot wait as by then it'll be about 3 years since I've been "home" :inlove:

fractal

No regrets.

Confirmed: quickest way to kill a buzz. 0/10 would not attempt again. Also, we definitely did Small World first, but don't ask me to recall any other details about it.

You should have seen how hard she steered when that train came straight at us 😂 All to no avail.

To be fair, I thought Kaely was taking a pic of Main Street and not her churro, but hilarious all the same.

Def the Jackson 5:banghead:

Thanks Max, I try. I knew she had no idea I was standing there and I jumped at the opportunity 😄

And thanks for asking! Here's my definitive, indisputable comparison of rides at DLR vs WDW:

Disneyland won in these categories:
- BTMRR (though it only has a slight edge due to smoothness and effects. The WDW version still has my heart❤️)
- Astro Blasters (easier to tell when you actually hit something, fewer gun troubles)
- Haunted Mansion (also a slight edge due to the actual elevator stretching room - just made the effect cooler)
- Railroad (cool dinosaur scenes????)
- Space Mountain (nice to sit next to someone, just a smoother ride in general. Also, similar but different was the Matterhorn, which I expected to be like WDW's Space but in a mountain, but it was actually terrifying - who knew there was a yeti??)
- Radiator Springs beat Test Track, no competition. Not a Test Track fan.
- Web slingers was fun but I don't think I'll miss it. I don't know what I was imagining but it wasn't just another shooting game. Still, I was better than my sisters were so...
- Overall travel (can't beat walking to the parks in 8 minutes)

WDW wins in:
- Dinosaur over Indy (Dinosaur all the way. Indy's too creepy)
- Philharmagic (screen and theatre were just not it. Coco was cute though)
- SPLASH. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That was traumatic. I LOVE WDW's Splash. DLR's flew through the scenes, so you couldn't really enjoy them. And even if they didn't, you get absolutely friggin' drenched and are unable to recover from the trauma before they send you down another drop. And you don't even get to sit next to someone and your sisters just use you as a human shield. Do we need to have another review of how wet I was BEFORE the big drop? Let's go over that again, shall we?
View attachment 642354
- Overall experience. As Teresa said, DLR feels more like a theme park when WDW is a whole experience. You definitely miss EPCOT and DAK.

Jungle Cruise was equal. Mater's is equal to A$$. Smuggler's Run is equal. We'd never done Rise at WDW so can't say there, I imagine they're the same. Soarin's the same but it was nice to do Soarin' Over California again. Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid were all equal. If I could remember IASW, I would review it, but alas.:hilarious:

As for Mission Breakout vs Tower of Terror, this is a hard call. I didn't realize (or forgot) that the DCA version doesn't go forward, just shoots you up right away. This takes off points for me as I feel it's a simpler ride. But Guardians is just so fun!!

In summation, even though DLR has a lot to offer WDW still takes the cake! But I was so glad to experience Walt's original park, and so glad to be able to do it with my sisters on my 30th birthday! Who'd have thought that would be possible? We had so much fun! Thanks for everyone who followed along on our adventures! I have a tentative WDW trip in the books for the end of October (which has already been cancelled twice due to COVID) and cannot wait as by then it'll be about 3 years since I've been "home" :inlove:

I didn't know you could still do Soarin' over California at DCA!

AKemily

not even a single letter??

love you all work in progress GIF

Max
Not even one! Haha we definitely quoted that a few times in reference to this same event :hilarious:
I didn't know you could still do Soarin' over California at DCA!
It was just for a limited time during the Food and Wine Festival! It’ll be back to Soarin’ Around the World now :confused: Also, good news! I just saw that the Star Wars cold brew is coming to Hollywood Studios! And they’ll have a spiked version!:hungry:

LisaBelle

I finally got caught up! This was such a fun report! Sister trips are so much fun! I’m so glad those cold brews are now at WDW! They look amazing and I can’t wait to try one! Loved seeing the different rides that Disneyland has to offer. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

krause

Original Poster
I finally got caught up! This was such a fun report! Sister trips are so much fun! I’m so glad those cold brews are now at WDW! They look amazing and I can’t wait to try one! Loved seeing the different rides that Disneyland has to offer. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!
Thanks for reading!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom