WDW's Space Mountain is REALLY bad

Jrb1979

You can't do an inverted coaster with only a lap bar to hold you in. Way too much liability.
You definitely can. There is many coasters with inversions with only lap bar.
Which is a completely different park aimed at a completely different clientele. If you cannot grasp even the simplest of concepts here, there's no point in further discussion.
I do grasp it. MK is a family geared to littles. Its also why they got rid of the best attraction there in Alien Encounter

Lilofan

You definitely can. There is many coasters with inversions with only lap bar.

I do grasp it. MK is a family geared to littles. Its also why they got rid of the best attraction there in Alien Encounter
The violent themed AE was not a right fit at MK hence it was eliminated.

Smiley/OCD

First off, everyone bellyaching that it was so much smoother 20+ years ago were also 20+ years YOUNGER then…I’d hate to see all you “coaster purists” ride the old wooden coasters that I rode in the NE when I was younger…the way you’re talking, you would’ve been carted off on a stretcher…SM has ALWAYS been rough…half of the thrill is riding in the dark not expecting the dips and turns.
FWIW, RnRC beats me up MUCH more than SM does (and I’m 6’3”)
Hell, driving over the rumble strips on the highway feels different than it did 20 years ago…

You should’ve tried the old Thunderhawk at Dorney Park in PA or the old wooden coaster at Bertrand Island in Lake Hopatcong NJ or the Cyclone in Coney Island or even Rolling Thunder at SF Great Adventure…
THOSE OLD COASTERS BEAT YOU UP…AND you saw where you were going…sheesh…

Lilofan

First off, everyone bellyaching that it was so much smoother 20+ years ago were also 20+ years YOUNGER then…I’d hate to see all you “coaster purists” ride the old wooden coasters that I rode in the NE when I was younger…the way you’re talking, you would’ve been carted off on a stretcher…SM has ALWAYS been rough…half of the thrill is riding in the dark not expecting the dips and turns.
FWIW, RnRC beats me up MUCH more than SM does (and I’m 6’3”)
Hell, driving over the rumble strips on the highway feels different than it did 20 years ago…

You should’ve tried the old Thunderhawk at Dorney Park in PA or the old wooden coaster at Bertrand Island in Lake Hopatcong NJ or the Cyclone in Coney Island or even Rolling Thunder at SF Great Adventure…
THOSE OLD COASTERS BEAT YOU UP…AND you saw where you were going…sheesh…
Nothing beats up your body worse than the infamous Action Park Vernon Valley NJ. I still remember the body aches and skin scrapes in many parts of the body.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Steel Vengeance Iron Gwazi, Velocicoaster, Hangtime at Knotts. Many more than that.
Lap bar:
IMG_1590.jpeg

Way more than a “lap bar”:

IMG_1591.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

So you want them to go down the Six Flags route at the world's most visited theme park which also happens to attract more families with small children than any other. Gotcha.
More like the Disneyland Paris route.
You can't do an inverted coaster with only a lap bar to hold you in. Way too much liability.
I’ve ridden a few.
Launch coaster with inversions with a lap bar idea is a death waiting to happen.
Flight of Fear!!!

Lilofan

More like the Disneyland Paris route.

I’ve ridden a few.

Flight of Fear!!!
Flight of Fear is DHS Tower of Terror but a few months ago a guest squeezed out of the safety harness to experience a free fall. He hit his head on the roof of the ride and was hospitalized in critical condition. Stupid is as stupid does.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Inverted or inverting? Regardless, I'll give you both... Fianna Force in Ireland is an Inverted coaster (train sits below the track) that has inversions (goes upside down) and only uses a lap bar...

Manufactures are using deeper seats with lap bars that are more form fitting to properly and safely secure you just from the hips. Unfortunately, the restraints tend to make it tougher for guests of "non-standard" body sizes to ride and Disney tends to prefer to build rides that can handle as wide a demographic as possible. The lowest height requirement I've seen on an inverting coaster that utilizes just a lap bar is 48" which is a little high by Disney standards. (Edit... I guess all the old Schwarzkopf coasters have only lap bar, go upside down, and only have a 42" height requirement... but they really don't make um like that anymore...)

Launch coaster with inversions with a lap bar idea is an death waiting to happen.

There's one just up the road at IOA that has recorded zero deaths... (and many, MANY more around the world with similar track records)

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Flight of Fear is DHS Tower of Terror but a few months ago a guest squeezed out of the safety harness to experience a free fall. He hit his head on the roof of the ride and was hospitalized in critical condition. Stupid is as stupid does.
No, flight of fear is a launched coaster with inversions that doesn’t have shoulder restraints. It has a “lap bar” similar to the one Martin posted above. Indoor coaster, similar to rock n roller but much more intense - also super fun!

I think the old Mindbender trains at Six Flags Georgia had more basic lap bars, but those loops pull so many g’s ain’t nobody falling out haha

osian

Name them.
I've just been on a two-week theme park tour from Ohio to Texas. There were several inverting coasters on the trip with no over-the-shoulder restraints. Steel Vengeance, Flight of Fear, Mr Freeze, Poltergeist, Storm Chaser, Iron Rattler, Time Traveler, Silver Bullet, Shock Wave (SFoT). There are plenty more, specifically RMCs, Macks, Schwarzkopfs tend not to have them, and clones of the above ones.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What about Velocicoaster, it's the similar to Big Thunder except tighter.
It’s nothing like BTM. It’s for a single rider and engages with the sculpted seat. It’s also molded, and suspended from the seat - which also houses the locking mechanism which is very different to a “lap bar” lock. Velocicoaster has more in common with Mako, which you wouldn’t call a lap bar either.

A lap bar is just that - a bar that restrains the lap area. Newer coaster are far more than that, hence they can get away from the traditional horseshoe and still invert / offer manoeuvres a lap bar wouldn’t be suitable for.

Jrb1979

It’s nothing like BTM. It’s for a single rider and engages with the sculpted seat. It’s also molded, and suspended from the seat - which also houses the locking mechanism which is very different to a “lap bar” lock. Velocicoaster has more in common with Mako, which you wouldn’t call a lap bar either.

A lap bar is just that - a bar that restrains the lap area. Newer coaster are far more than that, hence they can get away from the traditional horseshoe and still invert / offer manoeuvres a lap bar wouldn’t be suitable for.
Then I should have said no over the shoulder restraint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom