WDW's Space Mountain is REALLY bad

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
How many other parks does she visit and how many coasters has she ridden to compare it to

Actually we are a coaster loving family.
We've been on all the coasters at WDW, Universal Orlando, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, All but the newest at SeaWorld Orlando, All but probably the last couple at Cedar Point, most at Six Flags Great Adventure, most at Hershey Park PA, most at Six Flags Great Escape, all at Six Flags Darien Lake, We've also been to DL/DCA and gone on the coasters there...

Some of our favorites have been Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster, Manta, Kumba, Gemini, Mean Streak, Top Thrill Dragster, The Comet, Mindd Eraser, California Screamin'...

DisneyFanatic12

At this point I’m interested. Are we arguing that the turns are sharper, drops steeper, or the speed greater on Space Mountain today compared to previous years?

Aside from the general shakiness that might occur when the coaster wheels need to be replaced, I don’t see how a steel coaster would become considerably rougher over time. I see various studies relating to wooden coasters, but maybe someone has some data relating to how a steel coaster may become rougher over time?

(Not a reply to anyone specific, but more so curious what previous members meant by “rougher”)

Jrb1979

At this point I’m interested. Are we arguing that the turns are sharper, drops steeper, or the speed greater on Space Mountain today compared to previous years?

Aside from the general shakiness that might occur when the coaster wheels need to be replaced, I don’t see how a steel coaster would become considerably rougher over time. I see various studies relating to wooden coasters, but maybe someone has some data relating to how a steel coaster may become rougher over time?

(Not a reply to anyone specific, but more so curious what previous members meant by “rougher”)
Shakiness is not always due to wheels needing to be replaced. I've seen many older steel coasters have a rattle to them. A good example is Kingda Ka at Great Adventure is a good example. Shakiness and rattle for me is rough. Look how smooth Velocicoaster and the Hulk after it being redone.

DisneyFanatic12

Shakiness is not always due to wheels needing to be replaced. I've seen many older steel coasters have a rattle to them. A good example is Kingda Ka at Great Adventure is a good example. Shakiness and rattle for me is rough. Look how smooth Velocicoaster and the Hulk after it being redone.
Gotcha, I can see how the track can warp a little to give it a rattle (or other things like the sand filling the track settling and stuff, for coasters that have it)! That sort of roughness I can agree with.

RoadiJeff

SM feels like they have slowed down the speed since I first rode it in 1975 and thus it is a little less exciting, except for the time the girl stumbled as she was reaching in to check that my seatbelt was secure and her hand ended up somewhere else. :D

Anyway, I like the special occasions when they operate the ride with the lights all on and during the MVMCP all the holiday lights that line the tracks.

SM is also one of the rides that does not give me motion sickness. I do not feel beat up at the end.

Tiny Tim!

The last time I rode it was on the day TRON officially opened, and rode it immediately after TRON. I thought it was quite rough, but I’m sure the contrast of riding it after a brand new coaster played into it. It was Matterhorn rough IMO, but I wouldn’t hesitate to ride the OG Space Mountain again.

C33Mom

Space Mountain in MK needs a new track, but the layout is superior to DL's in every way, in my opinion. I think I made a thread about this a month or two ago. No one successfully changed my mind.
I often ride the DL several times a day, I cannot imagine riding the MK version more than once a day (and my husband refuses to ride it at all) because it’s so jerky. I do prefer the MK hill sequence as you travel by the space shuttle and astronauts, but I can’t really focus on the actual coaster since I’m focused on keeping a strong core to brace against the track knocking us around.

Do you actually think the single row of riders is superior to DL’s side by side seating configuration? 🤨

Starship824

In the Parks
No
In my opinion there is a major difference between a coaster being "a little rough" and maybe uncomfortable and being downright painful. Current WDW SM is painful. Matterhorn is the same in DLR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom