WDW vs Universal - Convincing Arguments Anyone???

MagicMan17

Original Poster
Ok, here's the deal. I need to make an argument with a couple of family members on why we need to take our vacation to WDW instead of, gulp, Universal. So far, I've been relying heavily on the angle that the kids would enjoy it better. We have 4 adults & 5 kids in our group, ages 3-9. I'm running low on ammo and I need the help of the wisest trip planners in the world. Thanks.

wannabeBelle

Well The only thing I can give you at this point is that my best friend, DH and three kids went there last year, had a good time at the parks, but probably wouldnt do it again. On the other hand, we are toying with another trip to Disney with Auntie Belle!! I just dont think it is the whole immersive experience that is Disney but they wont know that until they have tried both at least once. I even went to Universal one time in 1999. it was OK but i havent gone back since despite doing multiple trips a year since then!!! Belle

Atta83

Well I think there would be more rides at disney for the 3 year old to do comapred to unicersal and islands of avd. There are more kid friendly rides at all 4 parks as well. I dont know Im not much of a universal fan, i mean I can finish there two parks in one day.......

Salty-

Does it really have to be a this or that situation?

I would suggest WDW of course, but I would most definitelytry to go to Islands of Adventure for at least one day of the trip.

I always get a day or two of Universal in an Orlando trip even if it is a "Disney vacation".
In fact, the WDW parks and the Universal Parks make it seem like a "whole" trip for me. I get a little bit of everything from some good coasters at IOA and the whole Disney experience.

I would say there is more to do on site at the Disney resort, but if you dismiss Universal (or vice-versa), you aren't getting a full trip in my opinion.

Testtrack321

Simple, just say it's easier to get around with Disney transportation (don't forget about their new bagage pick up option!) and you can go many more places on Disney transportation than if you stayed at Universal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I’ll try to help you out here. First at IOA if you are not into thrill rides this place is a waste of time. Depending on the height of those that are 3-9 most of them will not be able to get on any rides at IOA with the possible exception of the Cat in the Hat ride. Both parks carry much more of an adult theme to them. Alcohol flows pretty freely at Universal were as at WDW it is very well contained. Every time I have gone to Universal I always seem to run into a bunch of drunken people. Last but not least there is simply so much more to do at WDW. It would take 3 days tops to do every last thing Universal has to offer. I’ve been going to WDW 6 to 10 times a year for 4 years now and there are still things I haven’t done yet. The last thing can be simply summed up in one word “magic”. WDW has it Universal never will.

MichelleBelle

Well, if you're going with mostly small kids then WDW definately has more options of things for everyone to do. I went back in January and spent a day at Islands of Adventure and a day at Universal and LOVED both parks. I love them because they immerse you in a different sort of way. I loved the themed "islands" at IOA and loved the whole movie thing at Universal (I'm a huge movie buff).

But then again, they're 6 completely different parks. I would go to WDW if you have that many kids with you... maybe Islands of Adventure if you have thrill seekers in the group, but Universal seems more adult to me... there's more rides there to do with older movies than movies kids would associate with.

Plus you can't beat staying on the WDW resort property, but still, IOA is so close and I think it's a great park! Of course, I'm a roller coaster person, so after a day or two at the Disney parks I need a little more of an adrenaline rush. If you're going to be going down to Disney again in the near future after your upcoming trip, I would say leave Universal until the kids get bigger and spend your time enjoying all the Disney stuff!!

ImaginEAR

Well, to increase the adult's interest in WDW, tell them there is an Adult Only Area (Pleasure Island) and several Spas. Romantic Restaurants, hi-speed thrill rides you'll only find in WDW (Mission: Space) and much, much more.

Legacy

ImaginEAR said:
Well, to increase the adult's interest in WDW, tell them there is an Adult Only Area (Pleasure Island) and several Spas. Romantic Restaurants, hi-speed thrill rides you'll only find in WDW (Mission: Space) and much, much more.
The adult only argument isn't really valid anymore, and Universal also has a higher thrill-ride ratio than Disney so that wouldn't be the best argument either.

I may not be the best person for this discussion, considering how big a fan of Uni I am. However with the age of these children I will admit that WDW would be the better choice. Disney has the bigger variety, especially for the younger set. Universal doesn't really target below 8 years old. (It does have Barney and Woody's KidZone, but it's not a primary area.) Disney has more rides, bar none in Orlando. It might be best to get information on THE adult rides (Mission: SPACE, ToT, RnRC, Space Mountain, etc.) and show those to them. Hopefully they will be convincing enough to pull from Hulk, Spidey and Mummy.

For the kid's sake though, I would go with Disney.

For me Disney has never been just a vacation. I always have people ask me, "How can you go to the same place year after year?" It's all about the feeling you get when you're there. Sure, I have been to Universal and IoA, but they don't come anywhere close to carrying the same memory evoking feelings. Just like, I'll never forget the way I felt when I finally met Mickey, and I every time I see him at the park I get that same feeling. Just like this year in June I will never forget when my son meets Mickey for the first time. These are memories that are directly related to experiences you have every time you visit the park. Disney is more than just a vacation spot, it's a feeling. I, honestly, could goto Disney and never ride one thing and still be content. Going to Universal or IoA is all about the rides and shows. For me Disney is an experience. One that my family and I can enjoy!

MagicMan17

Original Poster
While Universal and IOA certainly have their good points, I don't think there's any substitution for the "Magic" that a kid gets from going to WDW, MK in particular. That's what I want my kids to experience. Based on your comments, it sounds like I've got a little support in that argument. I'll print these off and come out with both barrels firing tonight. Thanks to all for the input.

wdwmaniac

So much more to do. 4 theme parks, 2 waterpakrs, downtown disney's 3 districts, boardwalk, WWoS, and golfing.

Also hotels options are much better at Disney 27 vs. 3, yes portfino at Uni is very nice, Disney has plenty of options.

wannabeBelle

KaliSplash said:
As pointed out above, Disney is an experience.
Universal is going to a theme park.
end of discussion.
Absolutely!!! I couldnt agree more!!! When was the last time you ( or anyone you know) Planned a vacation around going to a Six Flags theme park? I have planned six trips last year (2004) alone around going to Disney!!!! It must be the Magic!!!!!!!! Belle

goofy mom

Need advice on IOA!

While we are on this topic, could someone who's gone to IOA with kids close to my kids ages (12 & 9) tell me if it is worth the trip? They neither one like roller coasters, so I didn't think it would be worth going. But after lots of reading~it does sound like there are some fun things to do there besides 'thrill rides'. All advice is appreciated!

SpectroMan

IOA is a great place to experience once. So, I would say go to WDW, but maybe take a day to discover IOA. It is a very interesting place, and then you will be able to see what you like better. Disney does environment much better, but if you just want thrill rides go to IOA. Love thrill rides, love environmeny. Give me WDW any day over Universal!

Legacy

KaliSplash said:
As pointed out above, Disney is an experience.
Universal is going to a theme park.
end of discussion.
Typically I would strongly disagree with that statement, but I'm too tired to argue right now.

shoppingnut

The biggest problem with Universal is that about 90% of the rides have height restrictions, so you will be dragging around the little ones who will become bored because they can't go on the rides. At least at Disney everyone can ride the majority of the rides there and if some of the group wants to go on space mountain or BTM, etc. they can and just meet up with the rest of the group later. Disney is a vacation for everyone, Universal is a vacation for older children 10+ and adults and that is provided they love thrill rides otherwise you will be paying for 4 kids admissions so they can ride the one fish two fish ride and see some shows. If I'm not mistaken even the Cat in the Hat ride has a height restriction. I've been to both IOA and Universal, I don't particularly like coaster rides, but go on Spiderman and MIB. I can get into both parks free (have a cousin who works there) but don't usually bother because there isn't enough for me to do, where in Disney, I never have a problem filling my day with things to do. When I took my 10 year old nephew this past July, we had no problem finding lots of rides that he didn't think were "baby" rides. Test track was his favorite and we went on it five times. He even enjoyed the fireworks, Fantasmic and Spectromagic. I agree Disney is a vacation, Universal is a day trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom