WDW travel article posted on Slate.com

Eyorefan

This may be shocking news to some of you....

Not everyone likes WDW.

I think there is a differance between not liking WDW and deciding that you are too smart and cool to like the place before you even get there. I mean, honestly, going out of your way to bash Celebration for being a cookie cutter Norman Rockwell community with deed restrictions? What does that have to do with Disney World anyway? It just seems like the guy goes out of his way to hate stuff.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Well, our overanalytical, nitpicky adventure comes to a close today, as Seth visits Magic Kingdom. I think it might actually be the best entry in the series. There's a bit more self-awareness tied in with all the criticism, so you get the sense that at least the guy recognizes he's chosen the part of Oscar the Grouch as Tour Guide.

The bit about Disney as church doesn't really strike me right.

A.) it's a little too self-satisfied an analogy for me, since Seth would clearly be playing the part of the confidently condescending Disney atheist as opposed to the doubtful, slightly-envious-of-what-they-have-even-though-you-aren't-entirely-sure-you-want-it Disney agnostic.

B.) I think it over-estimates the amount of thought a lot of people put into Disney trips (although that might actually make it a good analogue for religion, the more I think of it...)

and C.) It ignores what is perhaps one of the strongest of Disney's appeals, which is its ability to provide a feel-good, all-encompassing ethos that is entirely secular, without a single appeal to deity. As long as your religion is compatible with wishes and dreams and all the rest, it's not too hard to fit Disney right on top of it with few — if any — alterations required.

I did share a "moment" with Seth when he wrote about it's a small world. I've always liked that ride — and not in spite of its cutesy "can't we all just get along?" simplicity, but because of it. From a purely philosophical standpoint, if I had to pick one ride to sum up what's best about the Disney worldview, that would be it. Relentlessly optimistic, undeniably over-the-top cheesy, but I can't help thinking that if everybody embraced its message, we'd have a much better world. If Seth gets iasw, maybe he gets Disney a little more than he realizes.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
He's clearly a pretty smart guy, but he does need to take the foot out of his bum and learn to smile. Looks like one of my least favorite Disney attractions almost started him on that track.

And seriously, I don't know the full story, but I'm guessing that that lady was a bit out of line. Disney has a tight schedule to keep, so they can't stop, and they certainly can't let people jumping on moving vehicles. Their insurance provider would go nuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom