WDW: The Sights, Sounds, and ...Smells?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
We all know of the iconic sights of WDW. The Castle, or Spaceship Earth etc. And we also notice certain sounds of the world. The dog howl at the Haunted Mansion, or the train whistle, and so on.

But I've noticed over the years that there are certain smells of WDW as well.

Call me crazy, but indoor water-based rides like Pirates and Its a small world have distinct smells to them. It's a musty indoor water smell, but nevertheless, at least to me, I kinda like it.

Also the monorail to me has a smell to it. Maybe it's the A/C they use or something else, but either way if I smell that same smell outside WDW, I'm instantly transported to the monorail.

And some others I can think of are the Contemporary, Space Mountain and Spaceship Earth off the top of my head.

Am I alone in this? Perhaps I'm suffering from some sort of Disney withdrawal syndrome but I could swear these places and attractions have distinct smells that I've noticed over the years and grown quite fond of, if that's possible to enjoy musty water...

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the "Smells" of WDW?

Spikerdink

Sadly, a lot of the smells of Disney are disappearing...from the 'Christmas' smell in the Christmas store in MK and DD to the 'burning Rome' on Spaceship Earth and others....Disney seems to be cutting back on this small, but appreciated, extras.

I know when I smell something similar outside of Disney, I too find my mind drifting back to happier days.

Aurora1

We all know of the iconic sights of WDW. The Castle, or Speaceship Earth etc. And we also notice certain sounds of the world. The dog howl at the Haunted Mansion, or the train whistle, and so on.

Call me crazy, but indoor water-based rides like Pirates and Its a small world have distinct smells to them. It's a musty indoor water smell, but nevertheless, at least to me, I kinda like it.

Also the monorail to me has a smell to it. Maybe it's the A/C they use or something else, but either way if I smell that same smell outside WDW, I'm instantly transported to the monorail.

And some others I can think of are the Contemporary, Space Mountain and Spaceship Earth off the top of my head.

Am I alone in this? Perhaps I'm suffering from some sort of Disney withdrawal syndrome but I could swear these places and attractions have distinct smells that I've noticed over the years and grown quite fond of, if that's possible to enjoy musty water...

I brought a friend for the first time last week and she immediately called out the musty chlorine-water smell in IASW and POTC. I personally love it! I also love the smell of sunshine in the parks- that sounds weird, but coming from the Freezing Cold Northeast, it's great!

okw2006

We all know of the iconic sights of WDW. The Castle, or Speaceship Earth etc. And we also notice certain sounds of the world. The dog howl at the Haunted Mansion, or the train whistle, and so on.

I agree with you on the smell of the water on the dark rides. I dont know what chemicals they use to treat the water but the smell is different and I kinda like it too. Like the popcorn also!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom