WDW Taking a Hit Over Gator and Massacre ...

Dubman

For the first time in forever.. Wait, not the song or the ride, but the PIN code.. Got one in my email today and was able to use on our November booking (11/5-11/13) for Pop. Room for $99.00/night. Also got an ad in the email for free dining, but did not go outside of the dates already offered which was a bummer. But this does tell me they may be actively seeking a surge in bookings..

SAVE UP TO 30%*
on rooms at select
Walt Disney World Resort hotels.
For stays most nights 8/26–11/22/16 and 11/26–12/23/16.
Book through 8/31/16.

Last edited:

AEfx

WDW is trying to erase the fact that bad things can happen in life. Kind of like eliminate Mr. Toad. I think WDW is fearful of creating micro aggressions in those that are reptiliaphobic (apologies if I cite the wrong phylum).

There is a difference between "erase" and what is being done - and people are jumping to conclusions about anything being "forever".

I had a feeling that a lot of folks who scoff at this are projecting #SJW/Micro-Agression hate on this - and I completely agree that is all terrible stuff that is creating a world of pampered and disgusting kids - that said, this is not like that.

I honestly don't believe anyone who doesn't see why the joke and the float were removed, they are just projecting their feelings about other situations on it and not thinking rationally.

dizneycrazy09

See, that's where the disconnect is and why I just can't believe folks are typing what they are.

You don't see a giant lit-up-literally-like-a-Christmas-tree chomping alligator is in poor taste to display RIGHT OVER where a child died of an alligator attack?

Really? Would you say that in front of your mom, or just on the Internet where it "doesn't count"?

It's not about emotional distress - it's about good taste.

Why are you suggesting that people who have different views than you do on this topic are "tough guys" or "just saying it because it's the internet"? I see that it's hard for you to understand the other side of this debate, but you don't need to insult to fill your lack of understanding of the opposite viewpoint.

jrogue

Please excuse the long post (or skip!) but I've had some thoughts on my mind that I'm sure only those in the Disney community would get and I've been itching to talk about. Due to length, I put my thoughts under the spoiler code! (seriously, it's a very long post)

I'm not 100% surprised that WDW is getting several cancellations over the recent tragedies. My most recent trip to WDW happened to be from June 11 - 15th, and WOW was there a different tone around the resort, even overnight from the 11th to the 12th.

My sister and I happened to be arriving at the Magic Kingdom at approximately 10pm on the 14th. We heard the helicopter going round and round the Lagoon and had no idea what had happened. During bag check I overheard a cast member asking "Do you think they're going to stop the ferry service?" I asked him what he had meant and if it had to do with the helicopter going around, as my sister and I planned on taking the ferry over to the Poly to get those transportation cards. He just said "Oh, they're cleaning out the Lagoon" and waved me through. I knew he couldn't tell me what was really happening, but that was my first indication that something was up. We overheard a few guests in the park comment on the helicopter, saying they knew something was up but didn't know what.

It was really weird to see how things unfolded after that, and how all of us staying on the monorail line around the SSL would be affected. My sister and I stayed at the Contemporary with a view of Bay Lake. We got back to the room (walked from MK, so still no idea of what happened aside from the helicopter) probably around 11:30. I went outside on the balcony to sit and look at some of the pictures I had taken that day, not thinking anything of anything. I could still hear the helicopter. I was looking out into Bay Lake when I noticed two separate long barges floating by. I watched them for a while, not knowing what it was, when one of them had a single float light up. It was the Electrical Water Pageant, and the float that lit up was the chomping gator. It only lit up for about a minute, and then disappeared again. I figured they were removing the barges for storage (and it looked like there were two parades? maybe the one in half?) without thinking or remembering that isn't the storage near the MK? and not in Bay Lake? Where is the parade going, and why wasn't it fully lit?

Right after that, I checked my cell phone and saw the news article about the child from my mom who was at home. The next day at the Magic Kingdom was a somber one, as the helicopter was still flying round, but you could tell at that moment more people knew WHY the helicopter was there now. The helicopter became an ominous reminder on the 15th of what happened, as we could hear it up until about 1pm in its constant search for the child. My sister and I boarded the resort monorail around 1:30, when our monorail (and the express) suddenly came to a halt. After about ten minutes, a few families (including us) got off and started walking to the Poly. Someone was on their way to the monorail, and a dad let him know that the monorails were shut down temporarily. The guy asked why, and the dad responded with "Well, they probably found what they were looking for!" We found out later that day that the dad was right, and around 1:30 is when the body was located. I'm sure they halted monorail service so that no one on it would have to see anything. :(

My sister and I happened to have been at the Floridian earlier that day. Maybe we even ran into the family. The thought of that really, truly hit hard.

On the 15th we overheard a few people mentioning that after everything that went on in Orlando that past weekend, they were thinking of canceling their next vaca to WDW that they had already booked.

Personally, I had a very hard time looking at the Floridian and its beach that day. The fact that I was looking at the part that not only the child was taken, but now I know it's the area that the body still remained at that point was chilling. I've played in that water. I've swam there with my family as a child. I lamented when the beach was no longer open for swimming, and have stood there in the dark with my feet in the water once when watching the fireworks on the beach. It won't stop me from visiting the resort again, though. If I had another vacation booked, I wouldn't cancel it. It was a freak accident, and not something very common. You're far more likely to die in a car crash than from an alligator attack or in a shooting at WDW. (knock on wood)

After all of that, I still stand by my belief that momentarily removing certain things in respect for the family is understandable, but these things should not be permanently removed due to sensitivity. Where do we draw the line? Yes, the alligator joke in the JC is about an alligator taking/eating a child. That should be gone for however long it needs to be. But the float in the water parade? The alligator may be chomping, but it's not implying that it's attacking or eating a person. Take it out for a little, put it back later. I wouldn't be bothered seeing it, even after having been in WDW while the horrors were unfolding.

AEfx

Why are you saying that people who have different views than you do on this topic are "tough guys" or "just saying it because it's the internet"? I see that it's hard for you to understand the other side of this debate, but you don't need to insult to fill your lack of understanding of the opposite viewpoint.

Because the "opposite viewpoint" in this case is flawed if people cannot see why removing a joke about a child being eaten by an alligator or a float of a chomping alligator being right over the spot where a child was just killed by one isn't an appropriate measure. I honestly don't believe anyone actually thinks that, is why I have said what I have said.

Just because everyone has an opinion doesn't make them right, particularly when they are being so blatantly "too cool for school" over this.

FettFan

See, that's where the disconnect is and why I just can't believe folks are typing what they are.

You don't see a giant lit-up-literally-like-a-Christmas-tree chomping alligator is in poor taste to display RIGHT OVER where a child died of an alligator attack?

Really? Would you say that in front of your mom, or just on the Internet where it "doesn't count"?

It's not about emotional distress - it's about good taste.

Then you might want to close your eyes in every Florida or Louisiana souvenir shop ever built.
2835193362_0924f6827c_z.jpg

SorcererMC

I blame social media. If this was 1986 no one would know, and no one would care.

I sound bitter. I am.

Maybe you're right. In the past, a company would maybe be able to 'keep it quiet', but not anymore. I think they need to actively counter what is in the news - which means that they have to address the issues. I think that if they are banking on their reputation right now, it's a mistake. Everyone is going to watch how they handle this.

dizneycrazy09

Because the "opposite viewpoint" in this case is flawed if people cannot see why removing a joke about a child being eaten by an alligator or a float of a chomping alligator being right over the spot where a child was just killed by one isn't an appropriate measure. I honestly don't believe anyone actually thinks that, is why I have said what I have said.

Just because everyone has an opinion doesn't make them right, particularly when they are being so blatantly "too cool for school" over this.

No one is saying you're wrong...it's an opinion, the antithesis of being right or wrong. I understand your point of view, and I (as well as many others, perhaps the majority) are saying that the removal of the float was unnecessary.

I don't believe anyone is arguing against the removal of the joke on the JC.

JohnD

Who wouldn't let it fly? The press? Sensitive people? The average guest probably wouldn't think anything of it.

I'm not saying that Disney shouldn't have temporarily pulled the float, but that the reason they pulled it has less to do with people thinking about the incident and more to do with respect for the boy and family.

People are going to think about the incident because of all the changes to the beach area, as well as signage that actually says "Danger, Alligators and Snakes In The Area" on them and that's probably not going to change much from here on out.

Just my opinion, but after a while, they should either re-theme the float (maybe reboot the whole show in the process) or quietly sneak it back in as is. Some people might get upset by the float coming back, but those same people probably get upset about a lot of things, in my opinion.
And I agree with you. But to argue it's a croc instead of a gator is ludicrous.

jrogue

Then that includes you as well. It is just our opinion that the gator in the water pageant doesn't need to be removed, as it is your opinion that it should be removed. No need to be hostile.

I don't believe anyone is arguing against the removal of the joke on the JC.
agreed!

IanDLBZF

I wonder if Universal is also seeing reduced bookings. It would explain why I was able to get an AP discount at Cabana Bay for 4th of July weekend when none existed just a few days ago, and why even HRH, PBR and RPR have better AP discounts available.
The South American economy plays a role in this as well mind you. Not only did WDW see a dip in bookings, SeaWorld and UNI lost attendance as well!

JohnD

I didn't, just corrected the terminology.

So why are you arguing with me? At the beginning of this thread someone argued the JC joke shouldn't be removed because it's about a croc. Again, a distinction without a difference.

seabreezept813

How do you really feel? Glad no one with your lack of empathy is in charge of anything.

I did not read this in that way at all. I am a stepparent and I've walked the beaches at Caribbean Beach with my stepdaughter. My heart aches for that child and his family. What I think some people are taking as a lack of empathy is really just people who see that the changes made aren't necessarily effective. Sure the parade float and Jc line might be appropriate to remove for sensitivity purposes, but I think what many feel is that the actions being taken are more about sheltering people than implementing more ways to protect them. When Disney outlines a plan to handle the wildlife, such as actually enforcing not feeding animals etc. , then I think people will be more supportive. These other measures, some appropriate while other suggestions are more far-fetched, seem to be more about protecting Disney PR-wise and political correctness.

SorcererMC

@jrogue Thank you for sharing that thoughtful post here (I probably wouldn't have otherwise seen it).

Disney said that they were addressing their 'guest communications' - they really need to. Even a CM saying that there is an emergency is better than what that CM said...b/c it's not like you weren't going to find out what was happening.

jrogue

@jrogue Thank you for sharing that thoughtful post here (I probably wouldn't have otherwise seen it).

Disney said that they were addressing their 'guest communications' - they really need to. Even a CM saying that there is an emergency is better than what that CM said...b/c it's not like you weren't going to find out what was happening.
That's what I was thinking too. I took it as the cast member not wanting to cause panic, and also probably not knowing what to say. Perhaps their guest communications just didn't get rolled out yet when I asked and cleaning out the Lagoon was the closest thing (or the first thing) he could think of.

JohnD

There is a difference though. They're similar creatures, but not the same. It's similar enough to pull it temporarily, out of respect, but ultimately, it's not a gator and also represents a cartoon. If people get bent out of shape over it long term, that's an over-reaction.

Although I did expand my thoughts in my reply to you, it's an open discussion with multiple people, not an argument with you.

Okay. That's why I was careful to say "in this context". The JC joke says basically parents need to watch their children or the crocs will. While the joke is about a different species I don't think anyone here was against its removal because it's about a different species. Same with the chomping croc in the EWP "swimming" around SSL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom