WDW Taking a Hit Over Gator and Massacre ...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Not to sound cold or like I don't care but in time no one will even remember the gator incident. As for people cancelling reservations and stuff, GOOD, I'll be there in August and hopefully the lines aren't crazy bad. I go to Disney World every two or three years and yes the prices keep going up but honestly it hasn't been enough to make me reconsider my travel plans. I stay at a moderate resort and park hop all week and will continue to do so hopefully until I'm an old man.

This. I doubt people will remember the time someone died coming off a Mission:SPACE or ToT 20 years from now.

If a shark attack won't stop people from flocking to the beaches a month after it occurs, I honestly doubt people will stop going to Disney because of this incident.

AEfx

I do. Hypersensitivity. This society needs to grow up.

Another one...

Can you separate your feelings about the current state of culture wars from the issue at hand?

In many cases I would agree with you about "hypersensitivity" - however, in this case, it's nothing of the sort.

First, it's just in poor taste. I think you would find the majority of folks in the real world would find it in poor taste, at least at this moment.

Second, it's not about possibly sending some special snowflake into some psychiatric fit - it's about reminding them about what happened which IS NOT GOOD FOR DISNEY.

GF is already getting these mass cancellations/requests to move to other resorts. It's going to be difficult as it is.

Now I'll take my turn at making a comment about general society - at least on the Internet - people develop such knee jerk reactionary positions on things that they completely miss this little thing called CONTEXT. And in the context of a float on the Seven Seas Lagoon, one where pretty much everyone in the English speaking world (and I'm sure beyond) knows what just happened, it would be in INCREDIBLY poor taste to have a float of a munching alligator over the site of the kid's death who was just killed by one.

If that float goes out, photos would go viral immediately and I'm sure "real" news would pick it up as well.

jrogue

The Grand Floridan has seen a huge surge of cancellations and requests to be moved to other resorts.
I've been wondering this all day and I don't recall seeing the answer in any of these pages .. are people moving from the GF to other monorail resorts? Or are they moving away from all of the monorail resorts in general?

Had to step back a minute earlier and try and put myself in the shoes of those canceling. I realize that I wouldn't cancel because I live in NYC/a city where bad things happen literally every single day whether I see them or not. The Disney Store I used to work at was evacuated a couple of times due to bomb threats. We've had awful tragic events here ever since I was a little kid. Not saying I expect bad things all the time, but I could see the difference between someone coming from NYC and someone coming from a smaller area where things like that don't really happen. Maybe if I came from a smaller town I'd cancel too? Who knows. I wonder how long that will go on.

No Name

If you think I am full of feces, then why are you even reading? You're just a newbie who has come in here and been as passive aggressive about my posts as possible until now being full-on aggressive.

I have already explained why I am critical of them. Anyone with half a brain and an ounce of feeling for the family of this boy would get that Disney created an atmosphere where something of this nature was far more possible than it ever should have been.

And I ''typically exaggerate the truth''? That's a back-handed compliment if I ever heard one because at least you admit that what I post is the truth.

Either way, I'm sorta done with you. Have a MAGICal night!

I'm genuinely confused as to how I set you off.

I think my post was rather fair. Otherwise, did I do anything to warrant that reaction? Did I say anything bad about you? Everything else has been pure opinion or comment unrelated to you. Or it's even been positive! I don't see my posts coming anywhere close to yours in terms of insults and passive aggressiveness, so I don't know how you're able to dislike me for that. So I really would like to know what else I said, and that way, I can become a better poster for the future. Because the absolute last thing I want to do is seem like a you-know-what. To anyone.

If anyone reading this doesn't like something about me, feel free to PM me to let me know, or heck, just reply to what I say (like Spirit did). The worst thing you could do is not tell me.

But 74, to explain myself... It's all but fact that you do exaggerate, and I did not mean that as a bad thing. It is a small side effect of a very good medicine. You are the very good medicine. I know, I know, I'm so flattering when I'm not passive aggressive. :D What I mean is that you sell the story well, but sometimes make it sound like Disney is about to go out of business or begin some major downfall. So I just watch out for that.

I do wonder what the actual numbers are for people switching/cancelling their bookings. Though I understand if your source isn't able to provide that info.

Anyway, I hope you too have a good night, and I actually mean that. I hope you have a good night so that when morning rolls around, you can hold no grudges against me just as I will not hold grudges against you.

hopemax

So now do we add Brexit to the list of things that could have a negative effect on WDW going forward. Quite a bit of economic uncertainty coming the UK's way. Will it lead to UKers staying closer to home? Falling pound sterling and rising WDW prices aren't a great combo, or is WDW going to extend its special offers?

Shane7694

This is so stupid. I'm not downplaying the tragedy that happened but this is why we can't have nice things. This is why kids today get participation trophies for everything. People are TOO DARN SENSITIVE. get over it.

This is the reason you can't have nice things?

Tay

So a multi billion dollar company should take a massive pr hit in what has already projected to be a slow summer to satisfy most of you? I really thought it was a joke about most of you on here being crazy but they were right about that.

Seriously they should have an alligator float in the same area a 2 year was just killed by an alligator or a joke about children being eaten by alligators to satisfy you people?

I hate how PC the world has become but even I would at least be considerate of this situation. You people are nuts!

Shane7694

So a multi billion dollar company should take a massive pr hit in what has already projected to be a slow summer to satisfy most of you? I really thought it was a joke about most of you on here being crazy but they were right about that.

Seriously they should have an alligator float in the same area a 2 year was just killed by an alligator or a joke about children being eaten by alligators to satisfy you people?

I hate how PC the world has become but even I would at least be considerate of this situation. You people are nuts!

I agree.. There's some crazy people on here..

jrogue

@Tay @Shane7694 So what, you guys have nothing else to do but insult people on here at 1:30am for having different opinions? :rolleyes:

As was said before, everyone has different opinions on how this situation was handled. Everything is our own opinion, as yours is. For those people not getting it, OPINION: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. It doesn't make anyone more right than the other, and the whole point of an open forum is to openly discuss things, not tear each other apart. Most people on here agree that the event was absolutely tragic, and the entire weekend was shocking and sad. No one is saying "feed the child to the alligator" ... so please clarify where people are being inconsiderate. No one believes the families of the shooting or the alligator attack should have gone through what they did. Not sure where you guys are getting the "whacko" and "nut" insults from.

There's literally nothing Disney could have done once the child was attacked to avoid a massive PR hit. What was done was done, an awful accident on property. They can deal with that while having a slow summer every once in a while. Not like they or anyone else asked for it.

draybook

Nuts is thinking that removing a float will repair any physical or emotional damage that's been done. If you're weak enough that seeing a fricking alligator float would send you into hysterics then please keep yourself in the shallow end of the gene pool.

I'm far from being a robot. Heck, the thought of the parent's last few seconds with their son was spent hearing him scream for help saddens me beyond belief. However, turning the world into a big, soft piece of bubble wrap for everyone's feelings is ridiculous.

ThemeParkJunkee

Agreed, this could be a bigger problem than either of the other two incidents as it has longer term implications

I believe in an earlier post @WDW1974 put the UK as the #2 or #3 country for visitors to WDW. This could have an effect for a bit. How long will depend on the ability of the UK to re-negotiate existing trade agreements.

ParentsOf4

Agreed, this could be a bigger problem than either of the other two incidents as it has longer term implications
Arguably, the pound is being oversold at the moment but the vote will send economic shock waves thru Brits who might have wanted to vacation at WDW.

Obviously, markets throughout the world are (over)reacting at the moment. Where will they be in a week?

Will early signs of a U.S. recession already in the brew, an economic collapse in South America (WDW's 2nd best market), the tragedies in Orlando, and Disney's foolish decision to jack up prices all conspire to send WDW revenue down, something that has happened during the last several domestic recessions.

It does make you wonder if Teflon Bob is in for an ignoble finish to his tenure as Disney CEO.

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Arguably, the pound is being oversold at the moment but the vote will send economic shock waves thru Brits who might have wanted to vacation at WDW.

Obviously, markets throughout the world are (over)reacting at the moment. Where will they be in a week?

With early signs of a U.S. recession already brewing, the tragedies in Orlando, and Disneys foolish decision to jack up prices conspire to send WDW revenue down, something that has happened during the last several domestic recessions.

It does make you wonder if Teflon Bob is in for an ignoble finish to his tenure as Disney CEO.

A deliberate decision to cut costs and raise prices in an effort to "maximize per guest spending" and lower crowd levels.

ParentsOf4

A deliberate decision to cut costs and raise prices in an effort to "maximize per guest spending" and lower crowd levels.
It's an understandable strategy in a strong economy but, in business, timing is EVERYTHING.

Increasingly, it's looking like Disney jacked up prices just when its three largest markets are teetering.

With what's happening in the U.S., South American, and U.K. economies, the price increases could very well be the dumbest move in all of Iger's tenure.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Do you know where 80% of WDW's Guests come from? I'll give you a hint it starts with a U and ends with an A.And is full of rednecks drinking beer and being loud
Do you know the No. 3 (formerly the No. 2) market of WDW is? It starts with a U and ends with a K and is full of people wearing socks with sandals and not knowing what sunblock is.

My only point is the majority of WDW Guests (some would say VAST majority) come from places where freshwater doesn't equate with dangerous critters.
Fixed that steryotype for ya ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom