WDW Spirited Quickees

Cosmic Commando

It's very easy to be mistaken for a CM to many people, even those who should be trained.

Two decades ago, a member of my family was mistaken as a CM at the YC by Jane Eisner who was in desperate need of 'the facilities' after a shareholder's meeting because he was wearing a very pricey suit with a classy and subtle MM tie.

Everyone isn't like us geeks who get what a nametag and costume mean ...
I'm a delivery driver, and I often get mistaken for someone who works in the businesses that I deliver to. People see a uniform-- any uniform-- and assume. We all know the saying about how people "check their brains" at the gate at WDW, so I'm sure it's worse there.

lazyboy97o

I tend to think that no matter how the question is raised -- even if there is a preconceived point within it -- the answer is far more important. Otherwise, you end up going to the Sarah Palin extreme: Any question you can't answer is dismissed as "gotcha journalism."

Is it always fair? No. But if you're ready with a good answer, it shouldn't matter how the question is asked.
Those being asked questions are not always forthcoming with answers, but pressure can help get an answer if one is not immediately given. I think a big reason these types of discussion are not liked by Disney and those who get brought up is because its easy to avoid the questions when only a few are asking. Avoiding the question becomes more difficult as the question is asked more often by more and more people. But if too many of the questions are loaded and accusatory but without substance, it makes it easy for those being asked to dismiss the questions and the questioners. These types of questions likely will not be answered until this becomes a threat to Disney's image. This can either happen by scandal (somebody doing something unDisney and it being publicized) or by enough people becoming curious, but curiosity will be slower to grow if the questions can be dismissed as just negativity.

And here, I'd think that the vast majority of people reading a question that's set off with a disclaimer ("I don't know whether..., but...") would be far less likely to consider it a loaded question than the same question without a disclaimer, assuming that the question itself is concerned with an act or situation about which one could make some sort of judgment.
I think the disclaimers are probably what is most at issue with your post. To me it does not read as just an open admittance of a lack of full knowledge regarding profesional ethics amongst lawyers. There are plenty of cases where some activity is legal or within a prescribed code of ethics but still widely considered unseemly. To me your disclaimers present the conditions as this sort of scenario, something that is technically legal and falls within the code of ethics that New Jersey attorneys must abide by, but something that those unfamiliar with the technicalities would consider unethical.

Kuhio

There are plenty of cases where some activity is legal or within a prescribed code of ethics but still widely considered unseemly. To me your disclaimers present the conditions as this sort of scenario, something that is technically legal and falls within the code of ethics that New Jersey attorneys must abide by, but something that those unfamiliar with the technicalities would consider unethical.

Even if I were suggesting that Mongello's actions were "unseemly" or "unethical" in a colloquial sense (as opposed to a legalistic sense), how would that be different from the dozens of other posts on this thread, and myriad other ones, that talk about how inappropriate it is for him to conduct his business in the WDW parks in the way that he does?

And since I realized that I already addressed this issue before, I'll just quote myself rather than re-typing my thoughts:

Perhaps you simply take issue with my use of the term "ethical" as a means of framing an inquiry into how Mongello conducts his business. But nearly every comment on this thread (and others) that ponders why an individual like Mongello can run his blogcast and related Disney businesses in the way that he does -- and why he (and certain others) are allowed to do things that members of the general public, and even the media, are not allowed to do -- is an implicit inquiry into whether conduct of this nature is legitimate... or legal... or right... or proper... or ethical.

Clearly, the specific terms "ethical" and "unethical" just rub some people the wrong way. I'm just going to chalk it up to the fact that people draw all sorts of distinctions based on nuances of language, and move on.

Clever Name

You guys are pretentious and wierd.
That is the very nature of all Disney forums. I envison most forum members have serious medical issues that prevent them from performing real work and they burn up their idle time pontificating on Internet forums. I see it as a healthy outlet for them. There are also a lot of children on the Internet with idle time as well. Most children grow out of it.

M.rudolf

That is the very nature of all Disney forums. I envison most forum members have serious medical issues that prevent them from performing real work and they burn up their idle time pontificating on Internet forums. I see it as a healthy outlet for them. There are also a lot of children on the Internet with idle time as well. Most children grow out of it.
Are you speaking for yourself

Figment1986

As a blogger myself, I see that in my case as "if you got free admission into the park, you need to state that..." "if they bought you dinner at be our guest for a review, you need to state that" "if they gave you a 6 gig flashdrive for your video they shot of you.... don't mention that cause it's a nothing... carry on... (I have a lot of flash drives from SeaWorld Parks from their media events, never once said anything about them... but food or free passes I do)

wannab@dis

Even if I were suggesting that Mongello's actions were "unseemly" or "unethical" in a colloquial sense (as opposed to a legalistic sense), how would that be different from the dozens of other posts on this thread, and myriad other ones, that talk about how inappropriate it is for him to conduct his business in the WDW parks in the way that he does?

Just because others are wrong doesn't mean you have to drop to their level.

It's a shame the mods allow this type of defamation to go on and stand. I've come to expect this behavior from '74 but it looks like others are now trying to out-do his trashy behavior.

Put your names on your libelous posts if you want to attack others by names. Otherwise, you're simply ignorant cowards out to try to hurt others. Get a backbone and drop the anonymous attacks.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, if the mods allow you to call someone "ignorant," then I guess other posts will be allowed to stay as well...

TheBeatles

Have you seen The Newsroom on HBO? They proposed a debate format on that show that would be great. In short, it makes people accountable for things that they say.

Bringing this back to Disney, I actually think that from a PR standpoint Disney is too guarded for fear of having to be held accountable for such things. It seems everyone that speaks on behalf of the company does so as if they're a politician. The slant is made with whatever their audience may be. If it's Jay Rasulo, everything is about cost savings and effeciency. If it's an Imagineer it's about the magic. It's very rare that a pointed question gets asked and answered directly, it's always spun through some sort of filter.

or about "immersive" experiences that will create "lasting memories" at "magic kingdom "park" at the "walt disney world resort."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom