WDW Spirited Quickees

stevehousse

This thread has turned completely upside down! I understand why everyone is so upset, but if you think about it, what is so different from that guy leading a tour group around the park compared to a Brazilian tour group or other group? I believe this is why there is no ramification for his actions. I do think it is deceiving if he is trying to position himself as if heworks for the Disney company.

GLaDOS

This thread has turned completely upside down! I understand why everyone is so upset, but if you think about it, what is so different from that guy leading a tour group around the park compared to a Brazilian tour group or other group? I believe this is why there is no ramification for his actions. I do think it is deceiving if he is trying to position himself as if heworks for the Disney company.

Because the Brazilian tour groups aren't giving out history/fact tours that are competing with/similar to ones that Disney offers. They're just there to go to the park like everyone else. They just all wear the same clothes.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Because the Brazilian tour groups aren't giving out history/fact tours that are competing with/similar to ones that Disney offers. They're just there to go to the park like everyone else. They just all wear the same clothes.

Plus, they're paying for admission....:rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

What does that have to do with anything? My aunt is a licensed travel agent too, so does she get to run outrageously priced tours on Disney's property, coax/deceive other guests into interviews for podcasts, or operate her business in the Magic Kingdom?

The explanation that someone is a licensed travel agent has absolutely no bearing on whether someone else can operate their business on Disney property without (or with?) permission.
I'm guessing it would be on par with a tour group leading a group of people. You probably need a license to do that. Having said that, I don't really know all the details.

I think that's the actual comparison. Having never been part of a Brazilian tour group, I don't know the full details but I would expect that it's part of a package and they are paying a premium to their "guide". That premium isn't paid for information on the history of the park, but probably coordinating things on the vacation itself.

As for Lou himself, I listen to his shows - some are excellent and thoroughly researched, others are so sugar coated it's hard to listen to. I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again, Ricky isn't in the same class as Lou when it comes to sugar coating things. While he's publicly stated he doesn't like reporting on things that paint Disney in a bad light, that's not entirely true. He will attach his name to negative opinions about the company, and he will also acknowledge when he has been given a handout. If anything, I've found that his criticisms are more poignent when he's been giving something for free. I recall on at least one occasion when he has said, "I wouldn't do this if it wasn't free."

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was not commenting on your methodology, but Kuhio's. I would not even mind any of these Disney fan celebrities being attacked, but I do think it should be done with information of substance, not extrapolated out of rather little.

Ah, but sometimes there is little choice to be had when these online pseudo 'celebs' hide so much about themselves (usually with very good reason) ... and I'll again repeat that Kuhio wasn't attacking anyone. He raised questions and possible ethical issues. He didn't draw conclusions.

If I see an Imagineer or a priest or a football coach spending lots of alone time with a 12-year-old boy (or girl for that matter), I might raise questions that would be negative and accusatory in tone. But I wouldn't call them a pedophile just based on that. I think you're jumping to a conclusion because the quetions raised have been negative.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, I've got no dog in this hunt. But I am curious as to why
we all should care, why "this must stop"? Yeah, some people aren't
treated the same in different places. Some people get perks, all over
this great land of ours, in all sorts of public and private ways.
Obviously both he and Disney have "a thing", and it is what it is.
I don't get the pressing need to "expose" this and have it be over with?

That's fine for you. Some of us don't agree. Some of see the seedy relationship and believe it isn't right for a host of reasons from the fact he isn't (or is he?) a paid Disney spinmeister or that he is acting like an employee when in the parks to the fact as a shareholder, some of us don't feel that spending millions of dollars on social media whores is the smartest strategy.

'74, you make a point of saying that you hang out with 1 percenters.
I have, too. Perks and special gifts abound in that world and neither
they nor the perk-givers need to "answer to why that is". It just is, it
just happens to be something that they both find beneficial for some
reason. And it's never "fair" to "the rest of us", it just is.

That's totally different. Top 1%ers often are lavished with gifts and things we'd all have to pay for. Same as celebs getting bags of swag at the Oscars or athletes getting all sorts of free stuff from shoe companies etc.

Lou isn't top one percent (and he doesn't even hang out in those circles either) and he isn't an actor, celeb, rock star etc.

So, when he gets things, it's a little different.

So, they're cozy. So, he gets free stuff. There are always going to be
people like that, right? I'm sure there are a few comped Club 33 memberships
out there, too . . .

Ah, to my knowledge there are no comped memberships to Club 33. There could be, but if so it would be a handful of truly VIPs ... like say maybe Walt's daughter or grandkids etc.

I'm not hostile or anything, really. Again, I don't have an opinion about
Mongello aside from not enjoying his podcasts, and I think that all y'all posting
about this are great contriubutors here and seem like good people.

It's all good, I'm just curious as to why the sudden manhunt?

Cheers!

Not a sudden manhunt at all. I've been trying to figure out Mongello's (and others) games for the past year or two. Had no clue who these parasites (with a few exceptions) were before.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Mongello is a licensed Florida travel agent, apparently that's the loophole that's allowing him to do this.

That's no loophole at all.

That's some Internet leaked 'excuse' to try and take the heat off him.

If a Florida travel agent's license (or a NJ bar one) allowed someone to set up private businesses in the MK, then there would be a run on them. Doesn't take much to be a TA.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was the cool guy wearing a Radiator Springs Racers "Opening in 2012" shirt that said Walt Disney Imagineering on the side while walking around Carsland. I was approached by someone asking if I worked on the ride. I laughed and told them know. You'd be surprised what conclusions park guests draw on other park guests.

It's very easy to be mistaken for a CM to many people, even those who should be trained.

Two decades ago, a member of my family was mistaken as a CM at the YC by Jane Eisner who was in desperate need of 'the facilities' after a shareholder's meeting because he was wearing a very pricey suit with a classy and subtle MM tie.

Everyone isn't like us geeks who get what a nametag and costume mean ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am going to add my 2 cents here as well. Last year, he sat next to us at the contemporary quick service while my family attempted to have a nice quiet meal after a long day at the parks (attempting to fend off a meltdown from my youngest and her mercurial blood sugar). Acting like a bunch of boorish frat boys, he and his friends proceeded to do an extremely overly loud "podcast", ruining my dinner and nice time with my family. Others scrambled to eat and leave, since it was disturbing. If it were a bunch of college kids making the amount of noise they were, I am sure a cm would have intervened. I assumed they must have had permission, but I wondered why there was no sign warning us. We felt could not have a conversation at our table, since we have manners, and talking over someone else's recording just feels rude.
I know nothing of the politics or kickbacks, but I seriously almost punched the guy in the nose. :mad:

I'm going to suggest something here that probably should be done in private, but here goes: contact WDW guest relations, tell them what you are posting here, ask them if the man (who you know to be Lou Mongello) is an employee and, if not, why are they allowing him to infringe on the rights of guests who have spent thousands of dollars to have MAGICal WDW vacations. Ask why this is and is anyone allowed to act this way? Seriously.

If you must, or you actually get a person to speak to you (and get their name and position), tell them you've noticed many people asking the same questions on Disney fan sites -- but try and steer clear of this.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit when is Disney going to announce the Iron Man e-ticket for California? I just saw the Iron Man 3 trailer and im getting anxious. Disney needs to get on dat stat!

Construction will likely begin in early 2013 with a full announcement at next summer's D23 Expo in Anaheim.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well the groups you compared to are travel groups - groups traveling together as birds of a feather. Compare that too individuals already there, paying a guy to give a guided tour/commentary/history.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I see an Imagineer or a priest or a football coach spending lots of alone time with a 12-year-old boy (or girl for that matter), I might raise questions that would be negative and accusatory in tone. But I wouldn't call them a pedophile just based on that. I think you're jumping to a conclusion because the quetions raised have been negative.

If in that same situation you were to claim, suggest, or otherwise lead people to believe the guy was a pedophile as fact.. and in turn that lead to damaging their personal business because they could no longer operate as that coach/priest because everyone thought they were a pedophile -- you'd be welcoming a business defamation lawsuit. Winning/lossing is another level.. but that's a formula for being served.

WDW1974

Original Poster
[quote="RSoxNo1, post: 5185663, member: 12260 If anything, I've found that his criticisms are more poignent when he's been giving something for free. I recall on at least one occasion when he has said, "I wouldn't do this if it wasn't free."[/quote]

Most of them wouldn't ... most of them are, honestly, cheap bastards that come from either working class backgrounds or lower middle class ... with some wealthy lazy folks in there too.

What many share is that they are way too cheap to actually PAY for the things they are reviewing for their sites. So, they'll tell others how great the products are (like say a Disney Dream cruise) while not putting their money where their big mouths are.

Not to pick on Tom Bricker (and I am NOT and he knows it, so let's let this example stay mods, pretty please!) but he reviewed a Grand Cali studio for TouringPlans that was comped as part of his Cars Land junket. He did the right/legal/ethical thing and mentioned this in his review. The cost of said studio on a nightly basis was, I believe, $525 a night. Tom ain't gonna pay that and admitted it, even if he found the place lovely.

I think that's what needs to be done. The majority stay far away from telling their readers that, yeah the GC is lovely, but you can save over $400 a night and sleep quite well less than a mile away.

There's never any comparison either by most of the whores. Never any 'well you could save $5,000 and have a veranda if you opted to cruise with NCL instead of taking the Disney Fantasy.'

WDW1974

Original Poster
If in that same situation you were to claim, suggest, or otherwise lead people to believe the guy was a pedophile as fact.. and in turn that lead to damaging their personal business because they could no longer operate as that coach/priest because everyone thought they were a pedophile -- you'd be welcoming a business defamation lawsuit. Winning/lossing is another level.. but that's a formula for being served.

Yes, in the USA you can sue anyone for anything with no cause at all. Just one reason why we have fallen as a society.

But not sure what your point is, that someone should never ask negative or potentially damaging questions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom