WDW Spirited Quickees

flynnibus

Premium Member
What "leaps of faith" did I make? When did I "call out" anyone as anything, let alone as "criminals"? Per your own language, I "legitimately ask[ed]" a series of questions "looking for an answer"... that some people reading those questions may have inferred a certain motivation on my part does not change the fact that my questions were posed out of a genuine interest in seeing whether anyone out there could provide answers.

You post was acquisitional. Imagine if you stood up in a meeting room, faced a coworker of yours... mentioned what he does outside the office.. and lead in with 'This leads to a number of questions...'. Do you really think he'd look at you as simply curious?

Your questions like 'And how much law can someone really practice...' are again trying to call into question the association the labeling of the association claimed. These are acquisitional questions that are written to challenge publicized associations.

Imagine if I stood in your office and said to a coworker, 'How much work could Kuhio REALLY do here?'

You refer to lay definitions... but you are messing in an area and with a profession where ethics is not a loose term with inconsequential meanings. One should be careful.. because such posts could even be taken as defamation.

Cosmic Commando

I did note that "the website for Tricat has no content of any substance," and opine that "the website for Tricat almost makes it seem like an entity that was solely created as a shell for other purposes." But those statements hardly lead to the inescapable conclusion that Tricat is used for nefarious -- let alone criminal -- purposes. My own guess is not that Tricat is a money-laundering front or something similar, but is probably a means to "fluff up" Mongello's resume (and bolster his overall self-promotion) by providing him with titles and positions that sound impressive but that don't require very much (if any) actual work. If fudging or padding one's resume is tantamount to being a "criminal," then I suppose we can start sending the cops to round up a very large number of high school seniors with college aspirations...
This is the third time: Tricat is a real place! It's listed as "past" on LinkedIn, anyway; its website today has no relation to the amount of time he can spend on whatever he wants to do now.

Where I draw the line is simple: when people are (somewhat literally) camping out in the parks, bringing film crews, dressing as to appear like a CM etc., that's fair game. If you were talking about this kind of stuff that's actually related to Disney, I wouldn't have batted an eye. I probably would "like" your post and move on. Instead, you are drawing wild conclusions on a blank page. This is a Walt Disney World message board; we are not vetting a presidential candidate here! Some things I think are off limits. I cannot see how this stuff is even tangentially related to Disney. If some blogger is charged with a serious crime that's not related to Disney, then sure, it's worth discussing. That would bring up a discussion that Spirit has been mentioning about how TDO lets these people represent WDW in a de facto way. What are we even talking about here? He's listed on his (probably) dad's law firm website as a consultant? A place that he used to work for has a poor website today? Let's talk about how he goes to the park dressed to look like a CM and gives private tours when we know a more critical blogger has been booted from the park for doing the same thing. Let's talk about how Jeff Lange sells DVDs of Disney's IP. I can't be the only one who sees a difference...

Kuhio

You post was acquisitional. Imagine if you stood up in a meeting room, faced a coworker of yours... mentioned what he does outside the office.. and lead in with 'This leads to a number of questions...'. Do you really think he'd look at you as simply curious?

Your questions like 'And how much law can someone really practice...' are again trying to call into question the association the labeling of the association claimed. These are acquisitional questions that are written to challenge publicized associations.

Imagine if I stood in your office and said to a coworker, 'How much work could Kuhio REALLY do here?'

You refer to lay definitions... but you are messing in an area and with a profession where ethics is not a loose term with inconsequential meanings. One should be careful.. because such posts could even be taken as defamation.

OK... by "acquisitional," I'm going to guess you meant "accusational," because otherwise your post makes even less sense. But I honestly am not quite sure what you mean by "call into question the association the labeling of the association claimed," or what exactly "publicized associations" are. Yes, I'm sure those are simply typos born of haste, but I don't think correcting them would really change your post much, given that the parts I do understand barely merit a response.

If you seriously think that raising a series of questions on a message board about a public figure (something that happens countless times every single day with regard to pretty much any public figure you can think of) is similar in any way to the act of openly challenging a co-worker's productivity or work ethic in a shared professional setting, then... I really have no response. The analogy is so feeble that it conclusively indicates that any meaningful, substantive discussion on this issue is at an end.

This is the third time: Tricat is a real place! It's listed as "past" on LinkedIn, anyway; its website today has no relation to the amount of time he can spend on whatever he wants to do now.

What's your point here? I never claimed it wasn't a real place. I initially said that Tricat's website doesn't include basic information about the company, such as where it is located. Considering only that limited amount of information at the time, I mused that Tricat seemed like an entity that was created as a shell.

You responded later that you found a brick-and-mortar location for Tricat in New Jersey. That discovery is in no way inconsistent with any of my subsequent comments about Mongello's titles and positions with Tricat. Holding what is essentially a sinecure with a genuine, operational company would certainly be "a means to 'fluff up' Mongello's resume" (as I wrote in a later post).

If you were talking about this kind of stuff that's actually related to Disney, I wouldn't have batted an eye. ... I cannot see how this stuff is even tangentially related to Disney. If some blogger is charged with a serious crime that's not related to Disney, then sure, it's worth discussing. That would bring up a discussion that Spirit has been mentioning about how TDO lets these people represent WDW in a de facto way.

This is more than just tangentially related to Disney. The actions and conduct of any entity, whether a corporation or an individual, with whom Disney is affiliated -- whether expressly, such as a corporate partner, or implicitly, such as a favored podcaster -- is subject to inquiry because it isn't just things like serious crimes that can adversely impact the Disney company.

Disney picks and chooses its corporate partners carefully. There are companies with whom Disney is unlikely ever to be associated, simply because the companies' brands or images are not consistent with Disney's. That's not to say that these are corporations that are known to have defrauded the public or to have done anything "criminal"; they may be generally well regarded by the public, but are just not a good fit for the specific family-friendly image that Disney has carefully cultivated.

The Disney company ought to be similarly careful with regard to individuals with whom it may come to be associated in the public eye -- such as bloggers and podcasters who are ubiquitously present in the parks, and who have gear and attire that suggest to the general public that they are officially Disney-sanctioned. Disney ought to be vetting these individuals far more carefully than it has appeared to have done so far. Even if such individuals aren't doing anything close to criminal or even illegal, they may still be conducting themselves in a way that's not befitting an implicit affiliation with the Disney company.

In short, Disney has traditionally had very high standards (or at least projected the public image that it has very high standards) with regard to those with whom it associates. The fact that it seems not to be employing even a modicum of scrutiny as to a highly-specific segment of the population is a legitimate reason for inquiry, if not outright concern.

Goofyernmost

In short, Disney has traditionally had very high standards (or at least projected the public image that it has very high standards) with regard to those with whom it associates. The fact that it seems not to be employing even a modicum of scrutiny as to a highly-specific segment of the population is a legitimate reason for inquiry, if not outright concern.

I am not disputing your thoughts but that particular paragraph made me think of the number of "shady" characters Walt himself hooked up with in the beginning. People that stole his creations, stole his money and exploited his name for their own benefit. So traditionally is a loose word and depends on when traditionally starts.

Walt Disney World is just like any other product. It has its shills that are wined and dined on occasion. Look up just about any product in the world and you'll see a similar relationship, whether we're talking Apple products, body supplements, video games, or what have you. This kind of podcasting and blogging is in no way unique to the Florida theme parks.

Obviously some of you have identified certain people and websites as being unreliable because they accept whatever Disney is offering. That's fine. But calling these people's characters and personal lives into question seems a bit sad on your part. They have done nothing to you and you're belittling them anonymously on the Internet.

I have never met Lou. He bugs me too, particularly his Hollywood voice and "You can do anything today if you just believe" mentality. But I ignore him almost entirely. He runs what appear to be small, expensive historical tours of the Magic Kingdom. If Disney didn't want him conducting these tours, they would simply tell him to stop. There would be no lawsuit. No news report. He would just stop doing them. I have seen them being conducted on occasion and you would never have any idea that they're going on. It just looks like any other family walking around. As far as dressing like a cast member, which costume are we talking about? Or does he look like a management type? As far as I know he doesn't wear a name tag or walk up to random people and talk to them. He has a decent following that I think comprise whatever his in-park interviews and such are. I have honestly never watched one.

And really, WDWMAGIC is one of these creepy websites that is always in the park taking pictures of people etc. right? How do you think they get all the pictures of whatever's happening on a daily basis? I have no idea who actually takes the pictures (though I have some guesses) and visits the parks, but it's someone (or a few people) that appears to be there basically every day. Between that and posting news updates sourced almost solely from "The Hub," it seems like this website is in bed with Disney as much, if not more so, than any of the other "lifestyle blogs."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And really, WDWMAGIC is one of these creepy websites that is always in the park taking pictures of people etc. right? How do you think they get all the pictures of whatever's happening on a daily basis? I have no idea who actually takes the pictures (though I have some guesses) and visits the parks, but it's someone (or a few people) that appears to be there basically every day. Between that and posting news updates sourced almost solely from "The Hub," it seems like this website is in bed with Disney as much, if not more so, than any of the other "lifestyle blogs."

Wow.

bubbles1812

Yeeaaaah... I was about to say, possibly the most ridiculous post I've seen on here in a long line of silly posts that I have seen on here. Way to go dude. You not only insulted pretty much everyone on these boards but also the people who run this site. Why do you even come here?

lazyboy97o

Some of us are not just fans. As a shareholder I question why money is being spent to wine and dine podcasters and bloggers, especially since they would continue advocating without the special treatment.

Skyway

What's the difference between Lou Mongello going to Magic Kingdom every day and WDWMAGIC going to Magic Kingdom every day?

WDWMAGIC (and its followers) do the same things any visitor can do inside the park.

Mongello sells a Disney-branded product inside the park, in competition with the company's own product.

Not much different than me drawing Mickey heads on a bunch of balloons and selling them on Main St.

menamechris

Umm..yeah...just wanted to add a "yikes..." Ummm....Welcome to wdwmagic?

That's one way to look at it. I don't think Disney really offers a product like Mongello's. If Disney wants to do something about it, they certainly can. The fact that they know about it and apparently condone it makes me think they're fine with it. And because of that, I guess I'm fine with it. Like I said, all they have to do is ask him to stop. If you started selling balloons and Disney was fine with that, I guess I would have to be too. Like I said, the guy bugs me too. But this sort of anonymous piling on him personally seems mean and unnecessary. He is apparently doing nothing wrong.

Umm..yeah...just wanted to add a "yikes..." Ummm....Welcome to wdwmagic?

I think WDWMAGIC visits the theme parks more than any of the lifestyle bloggers. As far as I know, Brigante doesn't actually go to the parks that much. Attractions Magazine would be there a whole lot, but they cover a pretty wide range of topics and Disney continues to invite them to most events, so they must not have a problem with them doing so.

I think you guys rely on "social media whores" and websites like this, that visit the parks every day and source stories from Disney's internal website, more than you'd like to acknowledge. I got a kick out of all the positivity about Cars Land when it first opened. Those opinions would be based solely on the people Disney wanted to be in California Adventure before it opened to the public.

menamechris

I think WDWMAGIC visits the theme parks more than any of the lifestyle bloggers. As far as I know, Brigante doesn't actually go to the parks that much. Attractions Magazine would be there a whole lot, but they cover a pretty wide range of topics and Disney continues to invite them to most events, so they must not have a problem with them doing so.

I think you guys rely on "social media whores" and websites like this, that visit the parks every day and source stories from Disney's internal website, more than you'd like to acknowledge. I got a kick out of all the positivity about Cars Land when it first opened. Those opinions would be based solely on the people Disney wanted to be in California Adventure before it opened to the public.

I actually am missing your point here... I feel like you have just stated a bunch of assumptions and half-baked ideas. Maybe just state what you would like to say...

bubbles1812

Double yikes. I'm going to again ask why in the world are you even here if you seem to think this website and apparently the majority of the posters here as so sketchy? I wouldn't classify any of the people here who are trusted sources of info as "social media whores" that pull info from Disney's internal website (please don't make me laugh on that one. spin spin and more spin when it comes to anything Disney even tells their own employeees) but if you seriously think that, I challenge you to go tell Lee, Whylightbulb, Martin, Rudolf, 74', ect "to their faces" on that one. I could do with a good laugh.

bubbles1812

I actually am missing your point here... I feel like you have just stated a bunch of assumptions and half-baked ideas. Maybe just state what you would like to say...

Isn't it obvious chris? We are all part of a vast conspiracy to take Mongello and all Disney lifestylers down and ourselves out to Disney to be their little minions of evil. Our information that is posted here is suspect at best, and downright lies at the worst. And we're out to manipulate the masses of unsuspecting innocents. First Mongello and then...the world!!! Mwhahaha. :eek: o_O:cool:

nytimez

But you are correct. Real media has to park on over at the Crossroads just to do standups and report on Disney, yet somehow these unvetted (in many cases unbalanced) Disney Lifestylers can get free reign on Disney property.

When I was working in news, we had to jump through some pretty big hoops to shoot at Disney -- and they sent minders with us in the parks. It's a little like when the media visits North Korea, no kidding.

I'm not saying Disney shouldn't be protective of the property and restrictive about access, nor would I expect them to allow the media in to film wherever and whenever they want.

But it's definitely... um... suspicious how these bloggers and podcasters can get away with what they get away with. I'd guess that the approval with which they operate must go beyond tacit and into explicit.

Sorry. I'm saying there is not a big difference between this website and what you guys seem to identify negatively as "social media whores." WDWMAGIC is on Twitter with nearly 14,000 followers. That's comprable to Inside the Magic, Touring Plans, Attractions Magazine, Lou Mongello, etc. There were several posts about lifestyle bloggers that are creepy because they visit the theme parks all the time. But this website, WDWMAGIC, visits just as often if not more often. And takes just as many pictures, if not more pictures, than any of those websites. Just look at the news from the past three or four days. You've got videos, pictures, reviews, etc. from what must have been multiple visits. And most of the other stories (WiFi change, Candlelight Processional narration, Country Bear Jamboree addition to evening emh, etc) are directly from The Hub.

I'm not saying WDWMAGIC is bad by any means. It saves me from having to log in to the Hub to see if something's been updated. But I'm not sure why we're looking so harshly at other Disney news websites, when this one practices many of the same things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom