WDW Spirited Quickees

Atomicmickey

I suppose it would.

But I still don't see how others get around the rules ... the Ricky Brigantes and the Jeff Langes and the Rosebooms and countless others all use Disney IP as if it is theirs.

You know, the New York Times can't do that. Hell, WABC can do that. Owned by the same company too.

If WESH (Ch. 2 in O-Town) can't place a reporter on Main Street USA with a mic how is it that these folks have carte blanche to do what they do?

Very simple question and one I've now been asking for a few years ...

Isn't the answer pretty simple, though? The company gets free publicity,
the 'reporters' get free stuff?

Sure there are risks to such an arrangement, but I think both sides are enjoying
it right now. One Bad Apple WILL spoil the whole bunch, though. It's going to take
just one misstep for the whole house of cards to come crashing down.

Right now I think both sides are just whistling in the dark, and getting their perks out of the deal.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As a non-practicing attorney, the answers to your questions are - (1) of course, (2) plenty - there's these things called the internet and email and video conferencing, and... (3) sure, since clients are usually hired or brought in by specific attorneys, they are not going to worry about the other attorneys in the firm that have nothing to do with their file. Also, the fact that Tricat is a shell is probably because it is a shell - that's how businesses work these days. Good luck tracing any corporation or LLC back to actual members/owners/stockholders without going through a few "holding" companies. Tricat most likely has zero obligation to provide anything that you listed there.

And doesn't that all reek of someone trying to hide something (talking in general here, not any individual like Lou specifically)?

Why do you need all those holding companies (I think in the Godfather films they were referred to as 'buffers' ... or maybe they were the executioners) and levels of obfuscation unless you're doing something that is either illegal or would be cosnidered unethical by most folks?

Isn't it just a way to escape and hide from responsibility?

(make a Spirited mental note: start 16 shell companies this week!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Isn't the answer pretty simple, though? The company gets free publicity,
the 'reporters' get free stuff?

Sure there are risks to such an arrangement, but I think both sides are enjoying
it right now. One Bad Apple WILL spoil the whole bunch, though. It's going to take
just one misstep for the whole house of cards to come crashing down.

Right now I think both sides are just whistling in the dark, and getting their perks out of the deal.

I agree with it all, but what will be the cost to Disney when one of its favorite whores gets arrested for domestic abuse, child , prescription drug fraud ... I dunno ... setting up a charity to use as your family's personal piggybank?

I've been down this road for quite a while now and it isn't like Disney isn't reading every word I type on this matter. They just don't give a f--k YET .... but, one day, when it all comes crashing down (maybe one of their bloggers is a Jerry Sandusky type ... really hard to imagine, right?) and the company gets nailed for it, they'll be wishing they had someone like ... I would hate to be the only volunteer here ... running social media and vetting every loser with a blog/wesbite/podcast as much as they'll be datamining your value as a customer (and your children as well) with Next Gen.

And with that, I'm going to get some sunshine and some grub. Y'all have MAGICal days!:)

Cosmic Commando

Yes, they do. And tell me how most people, even those guests who actually have brains that function, wouldn't think he was a Disney employee? And tell me how that doesn't open up all sorts of potential ethical and legal questions for the company?

First, I don't like the use of the word 'attacks' here. It seems whenever someone brings up legit criticism of PUBLIC figures (and Lou has made himself one and any court would agree with that), that often is tossed out to get the discussion neutered or shut down entirely.

I think what anyone who makes themselves a public media figure in the Disney world does, is open to discussion. Where do so many of these folks get their money to spend 4-7 days a week at WDW? Who is backing them? And why are they getting special treatment? Just what is the deal with Lou that neither he nor TDO wants to talk about?

Since we know TWDC is NOT vetting these people, I'd advance the point that it is our obligation as members of the fan community to move these kinds of discussions to ensure the safety of guests to the parks. If we're not looking, who is? I think many of these bloggers are counting on the fact no one is, which is why when they start having their names discussed, they get very nasty and attempt to get the discussions closed down (many have not ever held a real job ... what does that tell you?)

Not being able to discuss them would be like going to a celebrity gossip site and being told Linday Lohan and Tom Hanks are off limits ... or a political forum where you couldn't mention Obama or Romney.
Because a guy has a blog about WDW, it's our "duty" to discuss why he's listed as "in counsel" on a law firm's (probably his dad's) website or why he designed a medical imaging website that doesn't have any content (at this very second)? When someone goes from "barebones website" to "As it stands, the website for Tricat almost makes it seem like an entity that was solely created as a shell for other purposes.", I'm sorry, but that's an attack. Taking innocuous information and using it to strongly imply that someone is involved in unethical or possibly illegal activity... that's not an attack? It's shady enough with the things that some people do on-property, we don't need to create non-existent things to pin on them! Not to mention the fact that after 30 seconds of Googling, I found an actual brick-and-mortar medical imaging place in Edison, NJ named Tricat and after 30 seconds more on archive.org I found out that there was a functional website @ tricat.com until relatively recently! No, we jump right to "shell company", but that's not a personal attack. The things that some of these people do on Disney property and get away with... let's discuss that. That's all I'm sayin'. I still love ya Spirit.

nor'easter

And doesn't that all reek of someone trying to hide something (talking in general here, not any individual like Lou specifically)?

Why do you need all those holding companies (I think in the Godfather films they were referred to as 'buffers' ... or maybe they were the executioners) and levels of obfuscation unless you're doing something that is either illegal or would be cosnidered unethical by most folks?
(make a Spirited mental note: start 16 shell companies this week!)

Well, to be fair, shell corporations are used for many reasons besides avoiding liability (which, like it or not, in and of itself is generally ok in American law). Holding companies are also often used for tax purposes. And of course it's not an ethical issue for lawyers, doctors, dentists, accountants or any other regulated professional to have another business. Many law firms use the "counsel" designation to demonstrate that they have someone with PR value attached to the firm. I don't see an issue with any of this. Where there is an issue is the guy holding himself out as somehow attached to Disney. But if Disney allows it, it's really Disney that should be blamed.

c-one

The thing I don't understand is how is it that Mongello doesn't need to require every guest he approaches to sign a release? Are rules different regarding blogs? Do they have the right to film anyone even without their consent? If guests are approached by this guy to be on his dog and pony show and refuse they should then go directly to guest relations. Its basically soliciting in a park that you pay nearly $100 after taxes to get into. The problem is that most guests are deceived into believing he represents the Disney company.

Also if I'm going to be solicited at Disney I'd prefer for it to occur in a luxury room at the wilderness lodge!
Journalists* don't need to get releases from sources if they're interviewing them for a story. And WDW is a public place (as in, no expectation of privacy) so folks can film away. Being privately owned, TDO could give Mongello and his ilk the heave-ho, as has been suggested... but if TDO doesn't consider them trespassing, I don't believe there are any sort of legal breaches here.

*Lumping bloggers and podcasters in with journalists legally speaking here... not suggesting any sort of ethical/quality comparisons!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never paid much attention to his podcasts, much less seen him in the parks. However if this is true, it is very fishy that it's allowed but the mainstream media must broadcast from outside the gates.

Mainstream is only limited only if they don't have permission from Disney to operate on property at that time. The only thing going on here is either

a) Disney isn't enforcing their own rules
or
b) Disney has given these clowns permission to operate as they are

flynnibus

Premium Member
When someone goes from "barebones website" to "As it stands, the website for Tricat almost makes it seem like an entity that was solely created as a shell for other purposes.", I'm sorry, but that's an attack

Maybe we should be asking if it's ethical to take someone's lack of information as a basis for them to infer illegal or unethical activity? :) :)

CBOMB

That.
They made Jim Hill stop his tours. Why not stop Mongello?
While they are at it, they need to go ahead and finally put a stop to all the live podcasting and interviewing on property. Real media couldn't get away with it.
But wouldn't that put an end to the Spirit Meet, Greet, and Grope Tour?

Kuhio

I think the "lifestyler" lifestyle is creepy, too, but isn't this veering towards personal attacks that don't belong here, delving into his personal dealings like this? I'm no ethicist, but why is it improper for a lawyer to also run separate, non-legal businesses? He could be listed on the firm's website for several reasons... I really don't see how that is our business. Trash the way that he has appointed himself to the position of Disney CM all you want, but what the heck does [what I assume is] his dad's law firm have to do with anything? There does appear to a really-for-real Tricat medical imaging center in Edison, NJ. The website is such a shell that maybe it is just that... a shell. I'm not even sure what you're implying by bringing up the quality of this website... if you're making a fictitious website for SPECTRE or KAOS, you'd probably do a better job of making it look functional. Archive.org shows what seems like a functional website there in the past, then it went to godaddy, now there's this.

I don't see how these types of attacks help our discussion of the problems in WDW, does someone care to explain?

With all of the things that are said on this message board every single day about countless individuals -- WDWMagic posters, politicians, people within the Disney company, bloggers, etc. -- you choose to single out my post as an example of a "personal attack"? Seriously?

Frankly, your use of the loaded adjective "creepy" to describe "the 'lifestyler' lifestyle" is more of an "attack" on an entire group of people than my posing a series of perfectly reasonable questions about someone who's both a public figure (as WDW1974 explained very well) and intimately involved with Disney theme parks and the fan community -- the precise focus of these message boards.

And I'm honestly baffled by why you feel it's acceptable to "[t]rash" someone for "appoint[ing] himself to the position of Disney CM" -- if the word "trash" isn't synonymous with a verbal attack, I'm not sure what is -- whereas you balk at the idea of posing a genuine inquiry into the manner in which a public figure conducts his public business.

I didn't dig up personal information about a private individual, such as another poster, that the person didn't wish to be made known. Rather, I simply looked at the self-promotional information that a widely-known public figure himself put on the internet for the entire world to see. In fact, the information at issue -- personal credentials, accomplishments, and titles -- is information that, by its very nature, can only have its maximum beneficial effect to the extent it's disseminated to as broad a segment of the general population as possible. As such, none of the things I addressed about Mongello are "personal dealings" that ought to be off-limits in any sort of public discussion.

Perhaps you simply take issue with my use of the term "ethical" as a means of framing an inquiry into how Mongello conducts his business. But nearly every comment on this thread (and others) that ponders why an individual like Mongello can run his blogcast and related Disney businesses in the way that he does -- and why he (and certain others) are allowed to do things that members of the general public, and even the media, are not allowed to do -- is an implicit inquiry into whether conduct of this nature is legitimate... or legal... or right... or proper... or ethical.

In the future, if I have questions about how a person like Mongello can legitimately do the things he does, I'm going to ask them. If someone out there has actual answers, I would love to hear them. And if nobody knows the answers... well, that raises a whole other series of questions, doesn't it!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes... I'd forgotten that, unlike you, I'm not an expert on every single subject in the history of the world.

How about.. sticking to solid ground before making leaps of faith that include calling out people as unethical or criminals. Your post starts off with the assumption of a problem here, rather than legitimately asking a question looking for an answer.

CBOMB

I agree with it all, but what will be the cost to Disney when one of its favorite whores gets arrested for domestic abuse, child , prescription drug fraud ... I dunno ... setting up a charity to use as your family's personal piggybank?
I know who you are talking about here. They just haven't been caught yet. It's just a matter of time.

Kuhio

How about.. sticking to solid ground before making leaps of faith that include calling out people as unethical or criminals. Your post starts off with the assumption of a problem here, rather than legitimately asking a question looking for an answer.
What "leaps of faith" did I make? When did I "call out" anyone as anything, let alone as "criminals"? Per your own language, I "legitimately ask[ed]" a series of questions "looking for an answer"... that some people reading those questions may have inferred a certain motivation on my part does not change the fact that my questions were posed out of a genuine interest in seeing whether anyone out there could provide answers.

As I said in my original post, "most of the above questions arise naturally as a matter of common sense." I imagine that most people would be extremely curious to know how a single individual can meaningfully operate a podcast/blog/website that requires spending copious amounts of time both online and in theme parks; practice law; and serve as a "Chief Technical Officer" and "Vice President of Operations" for a company in a field that's wholly unrelated to the first two endeavors -- as well as have any time left over for things like, say, family.

Although I raised several questions about whether Mongello's conduct is "ethical," I specifically took care to note that "what is 'ethical' from a layperson's point of view ... may not be ethical from the standpoint of a professional organization that regulates the practice of law." In other words, I clearly was not implying (let alone asserting explicitly) that Mongello's conduct is necessarily "unethical" in any general, colloquial sense -- only inquiring whether it might be "unethical" in a strictly formalistic, legal sense (i.e., whether it would be viewed as proper in the eyes of a bar association).

And, no matter how one employs the term "unethical" -- whether in the colloquial sense or a more specific context relating to the regulation of professional ethics -- it is in no way the same thing as an accusation of "criminality." Plenty of things people do every day are unethical in any sense of the word, yet would not subject the person to criminal prosecution. Likewise, I'm pretty sure that there is plenty of conduct that might be "unethical" in the view of the legal profession -- and might even lead to a loss of the right to practice law -- but wouldn't subject the offender to any risk of, for example, being thrown in jail. So even if I did "call out" Mongello as "unethical" -- which I didn't -- no reasonable person could extrapolate that as calling him out as a "criminal."

I did note that "the website for Tricat has no content of any substance," and opine that "the website for Tricat almost makes it seem like an entity that was solely created as a shell for other purposes." But those statements hardly lead to the inescapable conclusion that Tricat is used for nefarious -- let alone criminal -- purposes. My own guess is not that Tricat is a money-laundering front or something similar, but is probably a means to "fluff up" Mongello's resume (and bolster his overall self-promotion) by providing him with titles and positions that sound impressive but that don't require very much (if any) actual work. If fudging or padding one's resume is tantamount to being a "criminal," then I suppose we can start sending the cops to round up a very large number of high school seniors with college aspirations...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom