News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the contrary Disney as a privite corporation can charge whatever they want I accept that and I am not mad dissapointed in the nickle and diming-- yes. One would think if a rep is responding to someones email on a specific topic that they would be full informed on that topic. All I'm asking is the truth not a dificult question the rep could have easily said I don't know but I will find out and get back to you. My premise that parking fees have been there all along is not something I conjured up many others have voiced this same opinion.

Except Disney is 101% dictated by investor opinions/purchases/returns....which makes it completely “unprivate” in the most academic of senses.

disneyflush

I'd kind of chalk it up to a pretty weird question that the rep probably didn't know. So rather than provide to an answer that could unknowingly bind the rep to an indeterminate outcome I can understand providing a noncommittal answer.

Essentially you've just said "I have no evidence therefore I choose to believe facts of my own conjuring." And to what purpose? So you can figure out how to be mad about a tacked on fee? Isn't that a bit odd?

Not really that odd. I think a Disney rep calling a guest that sent in an email that they were unhappy about a new charge to discuss the new charge might expect to be asked if parking was previously included in the room rate. If they choose to be noncommittal on the answer then I'm sure the guests come up with lots of rational for it. The original question should be expected. However, I don't think its the rep's job to talk the guest off the ledge if they choose to believe something with no evidence either.

KrzyKtty

If Disney's goal is to get more in line with local industry standards, I guess that means they will be reducing their hotel room rates as well right? ;):hilarious:

Either way, I'll still be the sucker that forks over the ton of money to stay on site in 2021. So, guess I won't complain too much. However, considering you are already paying upwards of 800 a night for some Deluxe resorts in peak season, it is a bit ridiculous to pay another 24 just for parking IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you also believe there is a 'groundskeeping fee' in your rate? And a "Electricity Fee" in your rate? Maybe a "housekeeping fee" too?

The rate charged is not built up of individualized fees... but of course the rate charged is expected to cover their expenses and desired margins. Of course in free language someone says "yes, those services are covered in your rate" - but that doesn't mean you were being charged a per room fee as part of your stay. The fee wasn't itemized, it wasn't optional, nor was it applied in any varied way. It was a cost of business the properties absorbed as part of their capex and opex spending and offered it as an AMENITY to it's guests. Not all amenities are treated as 'fees you are paying'. They are part of the package of amenities the hotel offers as part of their offering for which they charge a rate for.

Is that "part of the existing fee?" - everything is as long as it's something the hotel needs to cover costs for.

Do you think that general managers don’t keep track of their itemized overhead and expenses...and can’t get a calculator out and divide by number of rooms/days in the year?

Hell, on the old resort system if you had the right login credentials you could go into the individual resorts and see all those figures, and decipher them on DOS based ledgers If you knew which columns to look for...

But you would never get a line Item “listing”...that is true.

Resort price long ago passed just covering fees...the big fee is always labor and it hasn’t kept pace with the increases since the 90’s. Prices are about pushing the boundaries and margins now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney's goal is to get more in line with local industry standards, I guess that means they will be reducing their hotel room rates as well right? ;):hilarious:

Either way, I'll still be the sucker that forks over the ton of money to stay on site in 2021. So, guess I won't complain too much. However, considering you are already paying upwards of 800 a night for some Deluxe resorts in peak season, it is a bit ridiculous to pay another 24 just for parking IMO.

And you just showed why it works for them. Especially 3 years away...implying some budgeting/saving for a product that is priced above its realistic value.

KrzyKtty

And you just showed why it works for them. Especially 3 years away...implying some budgeting/saving for a product that is priced above its realistic value.
I know I have a problem, but I'm ok with it lol. We only tend to go once ever 3-4 years, so we try to make it count when we do go. 2021 specifically because I want to make the 50th celebrations. :)

So while I do think that it is a bit money greedy, I also understand it is Disney. In all reality, I kind of expect it from them...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you think that general managers don’t keep track of their itemized overhead and expenses...and can’t get a calculator out and divide by number of rooms/days in the year?

And when they share that kind of insight with CSR phone reps... let us know ;)

Resort price long ago passed just covering fees...the big fee is always labor and it hasn’t kept pace with the increases since the 90’s. Prices are about pushing the boundaries and margins now.

Pricing is never about just covering fees... if you want to stay in business. Expenses need to be covered by revenues, but they don't dictate what you charge... just your minimums to cover with your pricing models.

It's just this whole "it was part of the fees" argument is so ridiculous. Of course it was part of the hotel's expenses, which in turn must be covered by revenues... but that doesn't mean what people are suggesting. And it's all a stupid argument that means nothing. Because no matter what, they can turn around and start charging for anything... regardless of how it was accounted for previously.. or even make it free of charge. The pricing binds nothing... pricing is something you control.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And when they share that kind of insight with CSR phone reps... let us know ;)

Pricing is never about just covering fees... if you want to stay in business. Expenses need to be covered by revenues, but they don't dictate what you charge... just your minimums to cover with your pricing models.

It's just this whole "it was part of the fees" argument is so ridiculous. Of course it was part of the hotel's expenses, which in turn must be covered by revenues... but that doesn't mean what people are suggesting. And it's all a stupid argument that means nothing. Because no matter what, they can turn around and start charging for anything... regardless of how it was accounted for previously.. or even make it free of charge. The pricing binds nothing... pricing is something you control.

Well I agree with you there.

The whole debates with the parking “fee”
Was always irrelevant. The “didn’t we already pay it?” Is naivety.

There was an easy way to combat the parking fee: don’t book...stay home...block it out for 6 months. That would work. All other talk is pointless.

jakeman

I feel like the “everybody has an opinion” is the biggest cop out argument...and you know what else Everybody has...
Especially you.

EDIT: I'm pretty adamant about opinions being supported by facts, but when it comes to people purchasing a product there is a certain degree of value sentiment that can't be ignored. Just because you can't see the value from your high horse doesn't mean you are the arbiter for others.

I find the bickering about complimentary/free parking included humorous. What does it matter? They did not break this cost out of there room rate. YOU ARE PAYING MORE! It is an increase to the room rate no matter how they phrase it. YOU ARE PAYING MORE! While we are at it, Disney is a resort – why should there ever be a resort fee..I AM STAYING AT A RESORT—I paid to stay at a resort! Ridiculous. Some hotels indeed charge a legitimate parking fee. These are usually in the city to cajole city folk to use public transportation so out of towners have a spot to park due to lack of space. Some hotels have a parking fee for the purpose of saying it’s waived so you feel like you are getting a deal. Make no bones about it, WDW is collecting more. YOU ARE PAYING MORE! This is a greedy company doing great business right now who can get away with this. But one day they will fall and I sincerely hope a great number of folks will have found other great places to vacation and continue to patronize those places when WDW prices fall in an attempt to attract them back. I hate government stepping in but resort fees are ridiculous unless you may opt out of paying them by not using say the gym or what not. If you cannot opt out of them essentially its part of the bill and should be included in the price. Ditto with parking at the parks..ridiculous..put it in the price of the ticket. Shame on WDW. It’s so much different now than the 80’s..and I am not talking about the outdated parks either. It seems they finally decided they must upgrade but like so many other companies did not sock money away for this so now prices go up to pay for it. I wonder how many folks will leave with a WDW experience of feeling as though they HAVE to return someday...I bet repeat business suffers. The magic is gone. Now taking your cash is blatant. Folks will patronize but its not the same. Its all about the $$$$ now. I honestly think there was a point when, so long a cash was coming in, it was about more than that. I am guess I am naïve.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Especially you.

EDIT: I'm pretty adamant about opinions being supported by facts, but when it comes to people purchasing a product there is a certain degree of value sentiment that can't be ignored. Just because you can't see the value from your high horse doesn't mean you are the arbiter for others.

It’s where the consumer has let it go...the “I think it’s worth it TO ME” is the weapon Disney uses against the population.

One day...that river of money will get so high my horse will drown. And it will suck. And your horse will die next to mine.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What I find ironic is that....Disney is so cunning that you don't even notice.

Last year I got the POR for about $180 a night. This year (for my May trip) I wasn't able to break $230. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the discounted rates, know more or less when they are coming out, don't go during what would be considered "peak" times.......Generally, I do my homework.

This will be the third trip this year and it's been a good 18-20% increase each time compared to last year.

Look over here (parking fees).....................then they start bumping the room rates. Plus -- now the parking.

21stamps

After reading the past few pages with a ‘wth’ look on my face, I’ve finally come to the following realization-

People think Disney owes them way too much.

The parking fees are annoying, but a new parking fee does not entitle a customer to demand financials of the resort. Sorry, but this is beyond crazy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I find ironic is that....Disney is so cunning that you don't even notice.

Last year I got the POR for about $180 a night. This year (for my May trip) I wasn't able to break $230. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the discounted rates, know more or less when they are coming out, don't go during what would be considered "peak" times.......Generally, I do my homework.

This will be the third trip this year and it's been a good 18-20% increase each time compared to last year.

Look over here (parking fees).....................then they start bumping the room rates. Plus -- now the parking.

The increase in “moderates” is the story nobody is drawing enough attention too...

Because now the defenders are pushing the “location based pricing” narrative.

As here’s the thing: those were built as $50 motor lodges and they simply aren’t good enough for $300 a night.

“Follow my magic flute, little children”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
After reading the past few pages with a ‘wth’ look on my face, I’ve finally come to the following realization-

People think Disney owes them way too much.

The parking fees are annoying, but a new parking fee does not entitle a customer to demand financials of the resort. Sorry, but this is beyond crazy.

I don’t think disney owes anyone anything...I think people should mature and think when they buy.

21stamps

I don’t think disney owes anyone anything...I think people should mature and think when they buy.
I completely agree.

Being mature would be purchasing something if you see value at it’s current price, or choosing not to purchase if you don’t see the value.

Demanding financials, or continually ranting and raving about current prices is Not mature. The former is false entitlement and ludicrous behavior, and the latter is crying over something that -
A. You can’t change.
B. Is ridiculous to be fiercely angry about when you are making the choice to purchase it in the first place.
C. Isn’t owed to you.

**The “you” in this post is a “general you”**

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom