News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

jakeman

Until proven other wise I still believe WDW has all ways charged a parking fee buried in the in the room rate. They have not lowered the room rate to reflect the up front parking fee. Seems to me it is a double charge for parking.
Just to make sure I'm tracking here.

You're claiming an undocumented parking fee in the standard room rate. So until someone can produce documentation that there is NOT an undocumented parking fee in the standard room rate your assumption is that there are now two parking fees?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

You're claiming an undocumented parking fee in the standard room rate. So until someone can produce documentation that there is NOT an undocumented parking fee in the standard room rate your assumption is that there are now two parking fees?
Well, I think the more fundamental question is: what's the difference between "complimentary parking" and "parking included in room rates"?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

To be fair - A lot of people for many years have assumed there is/was some kind of parking fee included in the room rate. And a "resort fee". And a fee for DME once it started, because TANSTAAFL.

And, FWIW, I simply figured they raised room rates and separated the parking fee out so only those who park pay the fee now.

jakeman

Well, I think the more fundamental question is: what's the difference between "complimentary parking" and "parking included in room rates"?
In this case, I'm not sure it matters unless one is attempting to go into some weird rabbit hole for a reason to get extra mad about the parking fees.
To be fair - A lot of people for many years have assumed there is/was some kind of parking fee included in the room rate. And a "resort fee". And a fee for DME once it started. TANSTAAFL.

And, FWIW, I simply figured they raised room rates and separated the parking fee out so only those who park pay the fee now.
I'm not defending the parking fees, but I find the notion of extra aggravations because of an incorrect (or non-provable) assumption not to be particularly valid.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In this case, I'm not sure it matters unless one is attempting to go into some weird rabbit hole for a reason to get extra mad about the parking fees.

I'm not defending the parking fees, but I find the notion of extra aggravations because of an incorrect (or non-provable) assumption not to be particularly valid.
I think it matters depending on which side of the argument you're taking. Clearly, there is no difference between "free" and "included" which lends some credence to the view that charging for parking is a de facto room rate increase.

And where does it stop? Resort fee "for the use of hotel amenities" (that you already get to use for free)? Reservation fee? Housekeeping charge? Fees for water and electricity use? Door-unlocking "convenience" fee? Resort security fee? And my personal favorite, a fee to collect fees (don't laugh -- cable providers and utility companies cracked that code a long time ago)?

jakeman

I think it matters depending on which side of the argument you're taking. Clearly, there is no difference between "free" and "included" which lends some credence to the view that charging for parking is a de facto room rate increase.

And where does it stop? Resort fee "for the use of hotel amenities" (that you already get to use for free)? Reservation fee? Housekeeping charge? Fees for water and electricity use? Door-unlocking "convenience" fee? Resort security fee? And my personal favorite, a fee to collect fees (don't laugh -- cable providers and utility companies cracked that code a long time ago)?
I guess I didn't realize there were actual sides beyond "This is bad"/"I don't care/"This is good". I wasn't aware I then had to pick a side on exactly how it was bad. That's a little bit too much discussion board meta for me. :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair - A lot of people for many years have assumed there is/was some kind of parking fee included in the room rate. And a "resort fee". And a fee for DME once it started, because TANSTAAFL.

WDW compartmentalized accounting is more complex than you think.

Property maintenance/upkeep/operations overhead (labor) always was accounted for...so while there may not be an easily ascertrainable line item cost...the fee was there in some capacity.

This is really more like a selective rate increase...more of a user fee. From that perspective...it’s not the most terrible act. You at least have the option of traveling a different way.

Wait till resort fees...paying for things you may not use...like lifeguards and bartenders.

That’s actually much worse. And then the rates will go up.

John park hopper

I sent an email to WDW concerning the parking fee and was called by WDW rep, we had a plesent discussion. However when I asked was the parking fee all ways included in the room rate the rep was very vague and did not answer my question yes or no. Now you are free to interpret that either way yes it is no it was not. Thus my statment untill told (proven was my term) otherwise my choice is to beleive the fee has all ways been there

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I sent an email to WDW concerning the parking fee and was called by WDW rep, we had a plesent discussion. However when I asked was the parking fee all ways included in the room rate the rep was very vague and did not answer my question yes or no. Now you are free to interpret that either way yes it is no it was not. Thus my statment untill told (proven was my term) otherwisw I choice is to beleive the fee has all ways been there

They’re not gonna tell you anything...most don’t see the books.

The other strong possibility is that the “rep” had no clue what the answer was. WDW employees are not well trained or knowledgeable (anymore)...and are always treated “need to know”

jakeman

I sent an email to WDW concerning the parking fee and was called by WDW rep, we had a plesent discussion. However when I asked was the parking fee all ways included in the room rate the rep was very vague and did not answer my question yes or no. Now you are free to interpret that either way yes it is no it was not. Thus my statment untill told (proven was my term) otherwise my choice is to beleive the fee has all ways been there
I'd kind of chalk it up to a pretty weird question that the rep probably didn't know. So rather than provide to an answer that could unknowingly bind the rep to an indeterminate outcome I can understand providing a noncommittal answer.

Essentially you've just said "I have no evidence therefore I choose to believe facts of my own conjuring." And to what purpose? So you can figure out how to be mad about a tacked on fee? Isn't that a bit odd?

John park hopper

I'd kind of chalk it up to a pretty weird question that the rep probably didn't know. So rather than provide to an answer that could unknowingly bind the rep to an indeterminate outcome I can understand providing a noncommittal answer.

Essentially you've just said "I have no evidence therefore I choose to believe facts of my own conjuring." And to what purpose? So you can figure out how to be mad about a tacked on fee? Isn't that a bit odd?

On the contrary Disney as a privite corporation can charge whatever they want I accept that and I am not mad dissapointed in the nickle and diming-- yes. One would think if a rep is responding to someones email on a specific topic that they would be full informed on that topic. All I'm asking is the truth not a dificult question the rep could have easily said I don't know but I will find out and get back to you. My premise that parking fees have been there all along is not something I conjured up many others have voiced this same opinion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
One would think if a rep is responding to someones email on a specific topic that they would be full informed on that topic

And thus your problem. Customer Service know what is documented and provided to them - not the interworkings of philosophies and pricing strategies of the leadership. You are trying to use a CSR's response which is about specific policies and actions... and extrapolate that into business strategy and pricing philosophy decisions.

That's not now it works.

The Parking fee is not some 'bundled' fee - it's been advertised as a complementary service for ages. How the business choses to monetize and what they decide will be charged or not is not written out in their price sheets or CSR training.

Parking was not an 'included line item' - it was a complimentary service... just like your housekeeping is/was.

USofA scott

And thus your problem. Customer Service know what is documented and provided to them - not the interworkings of philosophies and pricing strategies of the leadership. You are trying to use a CSR's response which is about specific policies and actions... and extrapolate that into business strategy and pricing philosophy decisions.

That's not now it works.

The Parking fee is not some 'bundled' fee - it's been advertised as a complementary service for ages. How the business choses to monetize and what they decide will be charged or not is not written out in their price sheets or CSR training.

Parking was not an 'included line item' - it was a complimentary service... just like your housekeeping is/was.
I have been searching and have not found a single advertisement for complimentary resort parking. I have for free theme park parking, and oh yeah, that is still there.

nickys

Premium Member
I have been searching and have not found a single advertisement for complimentary resort parking. I have for free theme park parking, and oh yeah, that is still there.

How about this:

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Walt Disney World, Florida
V Rating: 3+Star Rating: 5
Hotel rating

Based on 7847 reviews
Disney Quick Service Dining Plan
Early access to Disney FastPass+ planning
Complimentary Parking
Extra Magic Hours available
Complimentary use of the Walt Disney World Resort Transportation
£1698
PP
Total for 2 people £3397
Holiday price includes:flights, 1 room, car
Secure now for £175pp

This from the Virgin Holidays site. The link didn't work when I tried it.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Are you trying to argue language here? smdh...

If you insist...

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 1.39.41 PM.png

http://web.archive.org/web/20130613012827/https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Andy_0410

Yes I noticed this as well as our free dining offer has started for the uk booking in 2019
I wasn’t sure if I would go due to parking as always get a rental
But virgin holidays are offering us brits complimentary parking at resorts with no obvious increase on what I have paid for 2018
Since I go in October have been watching prices in case there was an increase with galaxy’s edge opening around here as well

flynnibus

Premium Member
However when I asked was the parking fee all ways included in the room rate the rep was very vague and did not answer my question yes or no. Now you are free to interpret that either way yes it is no it was not. Thus my statment untill told (proven was my term) otherwise my choice is to beleive the fee has all ways been there

Do you also believe there is a 'groundskeeping fee' in your rate? And a "Electricity Fee" in your rate? Maybe a "housekeeping fee" too?

The rate charged is not built up of individualized fees... but of course the rate charged is expected to cover their expenses and desired margins. Of course in free language someone says "yes, those services are covered in your rate" - but that doesn't mean you were being charged a per room fee as part of your stay. The fee wasn't itemized, it wasn't optional, nor was it applied in any varied way. It was a cost of business the properties absorbed as part of their capex and opex spending and offered it as an AMENITY to it's guests. Not all amenities are treated as 'fees you are paying'. They are part of the package of amenities the hotel offers as part of their offering for which they charge a rate for.

Is that "part of the existing fee?" - everything is as long as it's something the hotel needs to cover costs for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom