News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

larandtra

Made reservations for Coronado in a few weeks because of a great rate and then Beach Club in a couple of months for a couple of short trips. Normally I just do it online but had to call because something was up with online reservations. They made it a point to ask me if I was aware of the new parking fees and reminded me of what they are. I was like yeah yeah I know, Ive already sent a strongly worded complaint to management and spoken with a "representative" of management fielding calls about this and other issues. Im pretty sure even cast members who are having to spout off the prewritten lines on why they implemented this are wondering why they just didnt increase prices and bury it there rather than opening themselves to more complaints..Valid ones at that. Like others, I am ok with "optional" upcharges because they are a choice, or a charge that provides a value. This provides nothing except paying for pavement I am already paying for. When I mentioned to the "representative" everyone is pretty sure this is just a precursor to "resort fees" he quickly changed the subject to other complaints I stated in my email. So beware because I think resort fees arent far behind these parking fees. And it is charges like these that make many fans rethink their travel plans and the money they spend at WDW. If it werent for convenience due to work having me in Orlando, I wouldnt make special trips anymore. At least not for a while. All the extra charges with no value and no choice, less benefits to AP holders(which is why I let mine lapse), parks in messy states and without enough to do, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Made reservations for Coronado in a few weeks because of a great rate and then Beach Club in a couple of months for a couple of short trips. Normally I just do it online but had to call because something was up with online reservations. They made it a point to ask me if I was aware of the new parking fees and reminded me of what they are. I was like yeah yeah I know, Ive already sent a strongly worded complaint to management and spoken with a "representative" of management fielding calls about this and other issues. Im pretty sure even cast members who are having to spout off the prewritten lines on why they implemented this are wondering why they just didnt increase prices and bury it there rather than opening themselves to more complaints..Valid ones at that. Like others, I am ok with "optional" upcharges because they are a choice, or a charge that provides a value. This provides nothing except paying for pavement I am already paying for. When I mentioned to the "representative" everyone is pretty sure this is just a precursor to "resort fees" he quickly changed the subject to other complaints I stated in my email. So beware because I think resort fees arent far behind these parking fees. And it is charges like these that make many fans rethink their travel plans and the money they spend at WDW. If it werent for convenience due to work having me in Orlando, I wouldnt make special trips anymore. At least not for a while. All the extra charges with no value and no choice, less benefits to AP holders(which is why I let mine lapse), parks in messy states and without enough to do, etc.

The reason they didn’t “bury it” in rates is that they are likely to do all three:
1. Parking (done)
2. Resort fee (coming...they’ll blame everyone else)
3. Rate increases (always...but we’re gonna get a shocking jump soon)

This is not something new to discuss...the canaries have been there for going on a decade building...you just have to look at it in the Longview.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They will probably quietly add resort fees in September. That will give them 10 months of complaint and the best Star Wars land will open and all will be forgotten.

The sudden, shockingly poorly handled dog fees died down in a week...

Parking lasted about 2...

Ten months would cover something truly ridiculous...I can’t even wrap my ganglion around what that could be.

It’s all about the buyers mentality - that’s the root cause of everything we see in pricing.

Lensman

A number of people have questioned Disney's assertion that they feel forced to charge for parking because their competition does. Other posters have speculated about whether Disney will start charging resort fees since some of their competition has as well. I found the following Federal Trade Commision analysis of resort fees to be very helpful in educating me on the economics of resort fees. Note the bottom line:
In sum, the literature suggests that separating mandatory resort fees from posted room
rates without first disclosing the total price is likely to harm consumers by artificially increasing
the search costs and the cognitive costs of finding and booking hotel accommodations. Unless
the total price is disclosed up front, separating resort fees from the room rate is unlikely to result
in benefits that offset the likely harm to consumers.

Also note that the authors find the following about a hotel trying to buck the trend of separate fees vs. all-inclusive pricing:
This means that it would be difficult for a firm to use transparent pricing in a market where other firms use drip pricing.

Here is the original FTC paper:
ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF HOTEL RESORT FEES by Mary W. Sullivan

YorkshireT

Parking fees and resort fees are well known bait and switch. That’s why Disney shouldn’t be participating.
Parking is entirely different in a city like London, NYC, Chicago or whatever. In those locations people are not only visiting the hotel and it’s services, they are staying in a hotel normally to do something else. The land is worth thousands of dollars a square metre. If that hotel closes up and is shuttered, it’s still worth thousands a square metre. In Disney, people are parking on ex swampland which cost pennies which is only worth anything because they are visiting the hotel and park where. So the visitor visiting is the only reason there is any real value in the real estate.
Here in the U.K. we had credit card fees put on flights, train tickets etc. Just been banned as another bait and switch.
Next in the legislators sights are airlines and their bait and switch tactics re seat payments, always come at the end when you’ve invested time searching because you saw a good headline price.
Fortunately I’m yet to see this scam of resort fees here in the U.K. or Europe on anything I’ve booked at least, but hopefully it won’t get a foothold.
US doesn’t have as good consumer protection as Europe, but hopefully one day someone will attempt to tackle these dubious methods.
Given I did a Disney survey about resort fees about 20 months ago, I fully expect them to jump on another dubious bandwagon to nickel and dime the customer.

fngoofy

I just can't figure out how this is going to truly be enforced. Who's to stop someone from telling the guy at the security gate a lie? "No sir/ma'm, I'm not staying here, just meeting some friends at the pool for the afternoon." This is going to be interesting to see it all pan out.(Also why the HECK aren't AP holders exempt from this?!? :() The perks of staying on-property continue to dwindle a little more...
When you go through the gate initially (checking in) they will note your plate. They are / have installed tech to read the plates of the vehicles parked there overnight. You will then have the charge added to your bill at the end of your stay. So, you will only be charged for the nights you parked there. If you stay with an old/new friend one night away from the resort you will not be charged for that night.

Clamman73

When you go through the gate initially (checking in) they will note your plate. They are / have installed tech to read the plates of the vehicles parked there overnight. You will then have the charge added to your bill at the end of your stay. So, you will only be charged for the nights you parked there. If you stay with an old/new friend one night away from the resort you will not be charged for that night.
The gate without the guard won't work on a check-in day unless you've initially stopped at the guarded gate and they've taken down your license plate number?

twilight mitsuk

No charge for leaving car at ds overnight?

fngoofy

The gate without the guard won't work on a check-in day unless you've initially stopped at the guarded gate and they've taken down your license plate number?
I believe that is the case. I have yet to read any trip reports of people's experience with the new system, but that is how I heard the process would work.
Funny, now that you mention it, seems like we always hit the attended gate on the first time in, even though we have our bands and are prechecked in. Must be muscle memory from the old days. Just as well I guess if they are wanting you to hit the gate for the car check the first time in.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Saw a Facebook ad this morning about free parking at the Trump hotel in Chicago. Made me think of this....... that Disney is likely charging for something that they then plan to give you for free, and you'll feel like it's now a benefit/perk instead of the same old thing you used to enjoy, also for free.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Saw a Facebook ad this morning about free parking at the Trump hotel in Chicago. Made me think of this....... that Disney is likely charging for something that they then plan to give you for free, and you'll feel like it's now a benefit/perk instead of the same old thing you used to enjoy, also for free.
Good point. Free parking is a lot cheaper than free dining...

John park hopper

It's funny how they say they are just getting in line with hotels and resorts with parking fees yet fail to implement a frequent guest rewards program.
Yes and a quick check on line of hotel chains 14 offer some sort of breakfast be it a complimentary cooked breakfast or a continental breakfast. Now some will say it is charged as part of the room rate so it is not free but the room rates are still far below what WDW charges. Until proven other wise I still believe WDW has all ways charged a parking fee buried in the in the room rate. They have not lowered the room rate to reflect the up front parking fee. Seems to me it is a double charge for parking. Reflecting the industry --think not --money grab--- yes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom