News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

matt9112

And Disney is still a better value.

not really. unless you value theming and immersion ect. the things that make disne t better but how do you quantify that? a generic child will love meeting the Looney toons just as much. as adults and fans we see the details we see the effort and in some cases lack there of but the regular person looking for fun?

I also take lines into account with "fun" I avoid the MK like the plague even with an AP because it's just awful I mean who wants to be crammed in there like that? I'm sorry but it's absurd. admittingly I rarely get to go on week days but according to smarter people than me on these boards it's still packed than too. my passes are up in a month and I might let them lapse...really on the fence my uni passes work well and have no block out dates for less money.

a better argument would be a day at Williamsburg or knotts because that would be a great value.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's related to bonds used to pay for them?

Think about most major stadiums in the country... built with local government dollars, leased to private companies to operate.

Bonds are the attractive way to finance such construction because government bonds can raise money at much lower cost vs private financing.

I just don't recall at the end who is operating the garages... RCID or Disney. Too lazy to lookup. But just because they were RCID built, doesn't make it universally off limits for Disney to charge. It would depend on the circumstances.

GrammieBee

Pay, or don't pay.
Go, or don't go.
That is your choice. If you want the experience, you have to be willing to pay for it; whatever it costs.

We will not be going, but not because of this latest fee. We decided last year we would not be returning anytime soon because of what we call the big four "C's"
1. Crowds. Closer to gridlock at times.
2. Construction. We prefer not to pay thousands of dollars to look at a myriad of construction walls. Something new is coming----wonderful=== but it isn't here yet and you have closed attractions which are here now.
3. Cutbacks. From little things like logos on napkins and resort toiletries to shorter hours, fewer cast members and missing parades. Especially the evening parade in the Magic Kingdom.
4. Cost. We expect cost increases, but Disney keeps (at an increasing pace) adding fees for that which used to be free and finding new ways to charge you for "an enhanced experience". We see an erosion in value received for the amount of money spent.

Yes, change is necessary and inevitable and you can still go to the Disney parks and have a fun time, However, we have been visiting the parks for over forty years and know first hand how they have changed over the years. Some ways for the better, and in many ways, not so much. Newer generations have no way of comparing the way the parks were with what they are currently experiencing. As someone said: "You don't know what you don't know."

For those of you still going----enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! May your visit be everything you expect.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Pay, or don't pay.
Go, or don't go.
That is your choice. If you want the experience, you have to be willing to pay for it; whatever it costs.

We see an erosion in value received for the amount of money spent.

For those of you still going----enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I've been going for 46 years and still am continuing to visit without hesitation. We see value still in our visits.

1. Crowds, yes there are more, but that's due to the natural increase in population and the growth in disposable income.
2. Refer to number 1
3. Nothing is free so businesses have to decide where to spend their money as its a limited resource. Floats and asphalt wear out, companies expand their reaches into other ventures both foreign and domestic.
4. Refer to number 3 again.

Maintain, Sustain, and Evolve to meet the market.

Mainahman

Was doing some looking at places we have gone as a family over the years, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg still has free parking for guests there. I priced tickets for 4 ( in case we take our niece too) and it would cost me under 600 for the tickets. Free Parking, i know a cheap nice hotel around the corner that we stayed at back years ago, and thats 3 parks, Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country, and Busch Gardens for that cost. Granted they are owned by Seaworld these days, we have been and its a really beautiful park, and with 7 days, would cost maybe 1500 with food and hotel.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've been going for 46 years and still am continuing to visit without hesitation. We see value still in our visits.

1. Crowds, yes there are more, but that's due to the natural increase in population and the growth in disposable income.
2. Refer to number 1
3. Nothing is free so businesses have to decide where to spend their money as its a limited resource. Floats and asphalt wear out, companies expand their reaches into other ventures both foreign and domestic.
4. Refer to number 3 again.

Maintain, Sustain, and Evolve to meet the market.
1. I think any growth in attendance is due to the widening perception that if people ever want to visit WDW, they'd better do it now before it's just too expensive. Why else would they be going NOW as opposed to waiting until current construction projects are finished?
2. Failure to add capacity over the past 10 years exacerbates the crowding in number 1.
3. This is a business that compensates its CEO at roughly 1,180 times the average worker salary -- that's how they've decided to spend their money, and not to the benefit of the consumer or employee.
4. Costs of enjoying WDW have outpaced inflation in each of the last 10 years.
So, to sum up, Disney didn't maintain WDW, so we see sustained price increases, and the parks have evolved into a Disney executive ATM for bonuses and pet projects.

Did you want to talk about WDW and value, or did you just want to throw out pixie-dusted platitudes?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Was doing some looking at places we have gone as a family over the years, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg still has free parking for guests there. I priced tickets for 4 ( in case we take our niece too) and it would cost me under 600 for the tickets. Free Parking, i know a cheap nice hotel around the corner that we stayed at back years ago, and thats 3 parks, Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country, and Busch Gardens for that cost. Granted they are owned by Seaworld these days, we have been and its a really beautiful park, and with 7 days, would cost maybe 1500 with food and hotel.
yeah but...Busch Gardens :joyfull:

Mainahman

yeah but...Busch Gardens :joyfull:
Its no Disney, but it still gives family time. Isnt that really what a vacation should be about? Spending time enjoying things together? We went to williamsburg back in 2010 or so, and had a fabulous time. To me a Vacation should be about doing things eachother likes, at the same place, and spending time together. Plus as a coaster lover as well as a thematic lover, its a win win for me. Although ill miss Curse of DarkCastle... for us its the same amount of mileage to drive, for far less.

Nubs70

Pay, or don't pay.
Go, or don't go.

We will not be going, but not because of this latest fee. We decided last year we would not be returning anytime soon because of what we call the big four "C's"
1. Crowds. Closer to gridlock at times.
2. Construction. We prefer not to pay thousands of dollars to look at a myriad of construction walls. Something new is coming----wonderful=== but it isn't here yet and you have closed attractions which are here now.
3. Cutbacks. From little things like logos on napkins and resort toiletries to shorter hours, fewer cast members and missing parades. Especially the evening parade in the Magic Kingdom.
4. Cost. We expect cost increases, but Disney keeps (at an increasing pace) adding fees for that which used to be free and finding new ways to charge you for "an enhanced experience". We see an erosion in value received for the amount of money spent.

Yes, change is necessary and inevitable and you can still go to the Disney parks and have a fun time, However, we have been visiting the parks for over forty years and know first hand how they have changed over the years. Some ways for the better, and in many ways, not so much. Newer generations have no way of comparing the way the parks were with what they are currently experiencing. As someone said: "You don't know what you don't know."

For those of you still going----enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! May your visit be everything you expect.
Love the post.

Just one minor change. The remark on "charging for what was free." I think it would be betrer phrased by " new charges for existing inclusions"

After all, nothing is free. Resort parking, for example, was always charged but was included in the room fee.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Oh I get that. I still enjoy Busch Gardens Tampa from time to time. I guess the point I was trying to make (sorry if it seemed snooty haha) is that you get a premium product with WDW (of course this can be debated for years) so you should expect to pay much more than say a Busch Gardens.

Monorail_Red_77

Think about most major stadiums in the country... built with local government dollars, leased to private companies to operate.

Bonds are the attractive way to finance such construction because government bonds can raise money at much lower cost vs private financing.

I just don't recall at the end who is operating the garages... RCID or Disney. Too lazy to lookup. But just because they were RCID built, doesn't make it universally off limits for Disney to charge. It would depend on the circumstances.

Disney Springs garages are owned/operated by RCID. The pedestrian walkways and associated elevators/escalators are in this also.

Mainahman

Oh I get that. I still enjoy Busch Gardens Tampa from time to time. I guess the point I was trying to make (sorry if it seemed snooty haha) is that you get a premium product with WDW (of course this can be debated for years) so you should expect to pay much more than say a Busch Gardens.
Havent done tampa, only williamsburg. I like the small park factor sometimes. no hour wait lines, no faspass, no constant upcharge. good Coasters, good family fun.

Dont get me wrong, we love our WDW, but for what i pay to go once now, i could go there 3 times, and experience all their season offerings.
Id expect to pay for parking, especially as they are owned by Seaworld these days, much larger corporate mindset than the Busch family, but still free... Doing well to keep themselves relevant and keep attendance up admist competitors like Kings Island just hours away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom