News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Phil12

And the problem is that once you pass that point, its a lot harder to win back that loyalty. Disney is walking a slippery slope.
The problem is that the MK has more guests than it needs. People here complain all the time about the massive year round crowds at the MK. Disney has tried multiple things to reduce its popularity with shoddy attractions such as CBJ and Stitch's Great Escape. They've let the overall physical plant of the MK deteriorate with poor maintenance. The monorail has been allowed to degrade to the point that the doors fly open while the trains are in motion. The ticket prices and special event prices have soared to new highs. Yet the guests just keep on increasing at a rapid pace.

Hopefully with the new resort parking fees and the soon to be implemented resort fees, it will slow down and reduce the ever expanding crowds. And of course, the DVC sales pitch will get easier too. It's a good way to control their visitation and make a significant profit at the same time. Sounds like a win, win to me

kylewr86

I will now be staying offsite for much less money
I cannot justify this latest cash grab. I sent an email with zero reply other than an automated response saying they got my email. I love Disney but the company is being led by only greed. It would be nice if it was stil run by a Disney relative. I miss Eisner.

jsand99

I will now be staying offsite for much less money
I cannot justify this latest cash grab. I sent an email with zero reply other than an automated response saying they got my email. I love Disney but the company is being led by only greed. It would be nice if it was stil run by a Disney relative. I miss Eisner.
I wrote an email, and got nothing in return, not an email or phone call or letter

Who did you email? I emailed guest services, Iger, Chapek, and Kalogridis Friday. I received a phone call and an email from someone responding on their behalf Saturday morning. Missed the call and haven't called back yet. The same person called and left another voicemail yesterday evening.

Calmdownnow

The problem is that the MK has more guests than it needs. People here complain all the time about the massive year round crowds at the MK. Disney has tried multiple things to reduce its popularity with shoddy attractions such as CBJ and Stitch's Great Escape. They've let the overall physical plant of the MK deteriorate with poor maintenance. The monorail has been allowed to degrade to the point that the doors fly open while the trains are in motion. The ticket prices and special event prices have soared to new highs. Yet the guests just keep on increasing at a rapid pace.

Hopefully with the new resort parking fees and the soon to be implemented resort fees, it will slow down and reduce the ever expanding crowds. And of course, the DVC sales pitch will get easier too. It's a good way to control their visitation and make a significant profit at the same time. Sounds like a win, win to me

I think your conclusion is out of step with the evidence. Disney is building more on-site hotel rooms (the new Riviera, the tower at Coronado, a rumoured front of EPCOT hotel, a rumoured new Wilderness hotel or DVC) and there appears to be plans for a new Swolphin hotel. They are planning for more visitors to be attracted not less.

jimbaker84

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with CBJ, it's a decent attraction that uses it's small footprint in frontierland very well. The main problem with the parks generally and not just the Magic Kingdom is that not enough money was invested in new attractions over the course of the last 10 years while at the same time continuing to jack up ticket/hotel prices, which is why we have so many construction projects ongoing at the moment. This failure to add capacity has led to the current situation where crowds are massive and wait times are ridiculous (100 minute standard wait for SDMT when i was there in August 17). Pandora is great but much more of a similar standard is needed.

Regarding the monorail, the instances where parts have fallen off and doors have opened mid transit are completely unacceptable, Disney make a fortune from the parks and one would think that the least they could do is maintain their vehicles to a proper standard. This will probably continue to happen until someone either falls out of a monorail or is hit on the head by a piece of falling debris.

The addition of car parking fees is ridiculous as this is something that was always included within the extortionate price of a Disney hotel room. This isn't Disney trying to regulate crowds in the parks, it's just a cash grab, plain and simple. Now im just wondering what other room inclusive services they're going to charge for now.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with CBJ, it's a decent attraction that uses it's small footprint in frontierland very well. The main problem with the parks generally and not just the Magic Kingdom is that not enough money was invested in new attractions over the course of the last 10 years while at the same time continuing to jack up ticket/hotel prices, which is why we have so many construction projects ongoing at the moment. This failure to add capacity has led to the current situation where crowds are massive and wait times are ridiculous (100 minute standard wait for SDMT when i was there in August 17). Pandora is great but much more of a similar standard is needed.

Regarding the monorail, the instances where parts have fallen off and doors have opened mid transit are completely unacceptable, Disney make a fortune from the parks and one would think that the least they could do is maintain their vehicles to a proper standard. This will probably continue to happen until someone either falls out of a monorail or is hit on the head by a piece of falling debris.

The addition of car parking fees is ridiculous as this is something that was always included within the extortionate price of a Disney hotel room. This isn't Disney trying to regulate crowds in the parks, it's just a cash grab, plain and simple. Now im just wondering what other room inclusive services they're going to charge for now.

Soap judging by another thread ...

John park hopper

I think your conclusion is out of step with the evidence. Disney is building more on-site hotel rooms (the new Riviera, the tower at Coronado, a rumoured front of EPCOT hotel, a rumoured new Wilderness hotel or DVC) and there appears to be plans for a new Swolphin hotel. They are planning for more visitors to be attracted not less.

Disney's secret plan is to built more and more DVCs and resorts so the parks reach max capacity from those alone. When that happens they will rename It WDW private resort for the rich and famous (get all your money) thus excluding all off site hotel guests and day visitors. I am being sarcastic. You are correct they have done nothing to limit the crowds if anything they have exacerbate the problem with more and more DVC and resort construction.

LSLS

You mean, minus the mounting evidence that Disney is inflating wait times on attractions and getting people with less cast members, lots of ride breakdowns, and less than optimal rider throughput (leading to less people being in lines and those in lines having much longer waits), right?

Monorail_Red_77

You mean, minus the mounting evidence that Disney is inflating wait times on attractions and getting people with less cast members, lots of ride breakdowns, and less than optimal rider throughput (leading to less people being in lines and those in lines having much longer waits), right?

Normally for wait times I assume there is about a 10 minute difference in real time vs wait time. Meaning if the wait time says 30 I assume it would really be about 20 minutes, on average. I know that other factors can make it longer, like maybe slower load times for some guests. However, on my last visit to EPCOT on March 10th I was very surprised at the wait time for test track. The stated wait time as I entered the regular stand-by line was 90 minutes. I took at picture just before this point. I also took a pic while waiting in the hold point for our car. After the ride I was kinda shocked. Wait time was 90 minutes, but real wait time from entry of queue outside to load gate at the ride car was only 37 minutes. Now that's a big difference.

As a comparison Spaceship Earth stated wait time was 25 minutes and our real wait time was 21 minutes.

larandtra

The call I received in response to my email was from a guest relations cast member in Orlando who I guess they have tasked with responding to emails sent to Bob and George concerning the parking fees. Im sure there is a "script" they are going by but when you bring up something off script I think they have a hard time responding because they dont have an answer for it. Thats when they get good at diverting. Do I feel bad for them? A bit, but, it is their job and unfortunately they deal with the crap the bosses dont want to hear when they implement policy.

LSLS

Normally for wait times I assume there is about a 10 minute difference in real time vs wait time. Meaning if the wait time says 30 I assume it would really be about 20 minutes, on average. I know that other factors can make it longer, like maybe slower load times for some guests. However, on my last visit to EPCOT on March 10th I was very surprised at the wait time for test track. The stated wait time as I entered the regular stand-by line was 90 minutes. I took at picture just before this point. I also took a pic while waiting in the hold point for our car. After the ride I was kinda shocked. Wait time was 90 minutes, but real wait time from entry of queue outside to load gate at the ride car was only 37 minutes. Now that's a big difference.

As a comparison Spaceship Earth stated wait time was 25 minutes and our real wait time was 21 minutes.

I actually have experienced very similar on 7 Dwarfs a few weeks back. Line said 100 minutes, we waited 25 minutes, person behind us had a red card, line said 120 when we got off. Different thread for that discussion, but point is Disney sure seems to be making the rides seem longer and is working to make the parks seem a lot more crowded than they actually are.

Bocabear

So if we accept the parking charges, how long before they install a "Seating Charge" in the restaurants... You may stand outside and enjoy your $45 entree, but if you would like to sit inside it will be an extra $10 per person...
Sounds crazy, but in a sense that is what they are doing with this charge...
I am surprised that no one has really fought this across the board for all hotels (with the exception of urban hotels)...It is a blatant ugly money grab...nothing more. Look for additional charges for daily housekeeping and extra towels....

DisAl

I sent an email too. So far have only received the automated response and will be surprised if I get anything else.
One thing we are missing here is that the people who make these decisions are making millions of dollars a year already, and if they meet financial goals they will be paid millions MORE. If they can pocket an extra few million by charging for parking they are going to do it.
They simply do not care about those of us who have to save up for 2 years to take the grandkids to WDW.
I fully expect my letter to have all the impact of a porpoise passing gas in a category 5 hurricane, but at least I sent it.

disneygeek90

I said “more” of my money. Like most people, we’re tired of getting nickel and dimed by Disney.
By staying offsite, Disney is getting less of my money.
Is that difficult for you to understand?
It's just funny that people are willing to throw Disney money for park hoppers, dining packages, souvenirs, drinks, events and hotels but when money for parking is asked, people act like Disney is "losing" money if you boycott. I think the parking rule is dumb, but people still going to Disney and staying offsite really isn't going to impact them in the long run. After all, it's only added revenue now. At the end of the day, you're at their park for 4-7 days spending lots of money. And I'm sure there will be a ton still willing to pay for the parking to fill up the hotels just as much as they always have been.

draybook

It's just funny that people are willing to throw Disney money for park hoppers, dining packages, souvenirs, drinks, events and hotels but when money for parking is asked, people act like Disney is "losing" money if you boycott. I think the parking rule is dumb, but people still going to Disney and staying offsite really isn't going to impact them in the long run. After all, it's only added revenue now. At the end of the day, you're at their park for 4-7 days spending lots of money. And I'm sure there will be a ton still willing to pay for the parking to fill up the hotels just as much as they always have been.

If you keep bending over and taking it, eventually you'll have a tummy ache. It's okay to question things and raise concerns.

Oh, and hey everyone. Have I mentioned that you can rent a 3+ bedroom house with a private pool for the same cost or less as a value room? Just saying...

disnyfan89

So if we accept the parking charges, how long before they install a "Seating Charge" in the restaurants... You may stand outside and enjoy your $45 entree, but if you would like to sit inside it will be an extra $10 per person...
Sounds crazy, but in a sense that is what they are doing with this charge...

When that becomes a standard practice at restaurants worldwide im sure Disney will consider it. Until then its just hyperbole of the most ridiculous kind.

Donal Duck

I’m done wasting my time with a troll.
Moderators, please take some kind of action with this user.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When that becomes a standard practice at restaurants worldwide im sure Disney will consider it. Until then its just hyperbole of the most ridiculous kind.

I think the point behind the hyperbole is this: hold the line.

Stop buying extra tickets on the same days...stop flooding repurposed food and wine booths all year...stops paying $45 a person at low quality character buffets multiple times per day.

Use some common sense before you price yourself out of the whole place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom