News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

matt9112

You're missing the point. Charging for DME would actually make Disney LESS money. Charging for DME makes people more likely to rent a car, meaning they're going to dinner at Golden Corral and buying merch at the giant wizard shop on 192. That's exactly the opposite of what they're going for.

if parking fees are higher they could charge for it....pay 50 bucks to use MDE or 26 a night? see where it goes. theres wiggle room.

Scuttle

The parks aren't dilapidated. We were just there in Sept. and everything looked fantastic (and I have a critical eye.) Our resort was fantastic, all the parks looked great, and the transportation was fine. The problem I have with this fee is that parking your car is like flushing the toilet, you don't have to, but it is nice to be able to. Putting a meter on it doesn't make you feel good about the experience.
I will say they have improved maintenance of late but it's still not where it was pre recession.

UncleMike101

My post from another web site with an update;
OK........
Is the WDW website screwing up again or is this for real??????
The Parking information page now (3/16/18 11:10 Eastern) states:

Resort Hotels
Standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for
Resort Guests. Valet parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts for $25 per day.
I have it up on two separate taps from two different links and It's the same on both.
Edit: I closed both tabs and re entered the WDW web site.
I searched for "Resort Parking" and under the heading of Resort Hotels is the following;
Resort Hotels
Standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for Resort Guests. Valet parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts for $25 per day.
Can anyone confirm or deny??????

Last edited:

Phil12

...I so missed out on your party...

Damn! I hate being old!!
But being old means you qualify for the senior discount at Knights Inn Maingate in Kissimmee. You and a friend can stay for $45.13 per night and you're right at the doorstep of DAK. And they don't charge a parking fee for your car! Plus you get a free breakfast every morning. See, there are alternatives to staying on property.

Dizknee_Phreek

I will say they have improved maintenance of late but it's still not where it was pre recession.
I'm actually surprised to hear that it was worse a few years ago. I went in 2016 after an 8 year hiatus (after going at least once a year, every year since 92). I was shocked and disappointed to see how some things were allowed to fall into disrepair. It seemed like they just focused on the areas where they refurbed/expanded and forgot about everything else. The monorails. The buses. The disorienting rotating red light effect on Buzz Lightyear not working. Rust in Tomorrowland. Don't get me wrong, I still love Disney and they're still miles above most other theme parks. But so many things have started feeling a little...janky. That wasn't the Disney I grew up with in the 90s. They were able to expand AND maintain. It's just crazy to me to think that things have been worse. But we keep getting charged more and more and getting less in return. The horrible relentless cycle of corporate greed.

UncleMike101

I wonder why they chose to go the parking fee and not just raise the room rates that same amount? Seems like there would have been less backlash and still had that one and done price.
They still may raise the room rates instead.
The WDW Parking site now (3/16/18 11:50 PM) states;
A variety of parking options are available at Walt Disney World Resort, including preferred or standard parking at the theme parks and complimentary self-parking at Disney Springs, the water parks and all Resort hotels (for registered Guests). All parking fees include applicable tax.

UncleMike101

Yup their website removed t he parking again for resorts. Either there is a webmaster who is messing with us or Disney can't make up its mind and is testing the reactions.
Thanks for confirming that!!
I was beginning to think I'd slipped into The Twilight Zone and was seeing a WDW page from the past.....
I'm on three other Disney web sites and no one seems to have noticed the apparent reversal but me...
I say "apparent" because Disney's IT dept. may have had a major stroke and doesn't know what's going on.

Sonconato

I'll agree with that from a per trip perspective. I'm not dropping 5k per visit. But I do spend a lot more than that over the course of the year. Those dropping the 5k might be back in a year or so, while I'm there every couple of months.

But you are correct that those are the type of guests Disney values most and targets with things like this.

I think a lot of AP's who have the free parking benefit for the parks, are really going to think twice before staying on property. Palm Parkway, Hotel Blvd. and Bonnet Creek are looking better and better everyday. And that's really sad coming from someone who stays "on property" 70% of the time.

You’re right on everything you said, however, that wasn’t the case a few years back. Not that long ago, most of the AP’s had to pay for parking in the Parks then that was lifted. From Disney’s standpoint, that was lost revenue which I’m sure was noticeable, so I would venture to guess this is their answer to that change. I’m sure you’re right in that most will head down the street or off-site. I also believe that Disney wanted to get this implemented before the Star Wars Hotel opened because I could only imagine that that Hotel will forever be at capacity…no matter what.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder why they chose to go the parking fee and not just raise the room rates that same amount? Seems like there would have been less backlash and still had that one and done price.
In the case of deluxes...the quietly can't sell them. Their room rate increase have not been as steady as the others because they jacked them really hard 10-20 years ago

yensid67

Are people mad about the parking fee or the fact free parking is going away? It’s a revenue stream that a public company has to look at. Every downtown hotel I have stayed in has parking fees and every sports venues have parking fees - paid $50 just for basic parking at an NFL stadium. I hope this fee makes some stay away from the parks because they are just crazy packed anymore.
No, people are mad because the over-priced room rate included parking and now the room rate is the same but with a parking fee!

NelleBelle

Magical Express is not a service, it's a marketing expense. Disney is closer to paying you to use it than they are charging you for it.

Honestly, have people never put five minutes of though into where WDW's profit comes from?
If you're taking a Disney cruise, they charge you for basically the same thing...quite a bit, actually!

tonymu

Premium Member
So are they now charging this for sure? I saw there was some confusion where some of the fees were removed from the website.
As of 11pm CST If you look on a resort page it lists a fee. If you click the link below the fee for more parking info that link goes to a page that is back to showing it as free even though yesterday it also listed the fee.

UncleMike101

I just checked their Facebook page. Wow!
I don't do Facebook but I've heard that people are expressing their anger over the parking fees.
As of 11pm CST If you look on a resort page it lists a fee. If you click the link below the fee for more parking info that link goes to a page that is back to showing it as free even though yesterday it also listed the fee.
Either 1. They can't make up their minds, 2. They haven't synched the resort pages with the main page yet, or, 3. Someone is messing with us because of all of the backlash over the parking fees.
I'm hoping for #2.....

jbeechuk

Disney is most likely realizing they are undercharging for this new parking fee. Most likely, the fees will reappear next week in higher tiered pricing of $25/$50/$75.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom