News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you're underestimating the backlash. This has hit the mainstream. My Facebook feed is full of this from people who aren't Disneyphiles but go every 2-4 years....

I agree he's underestimating the backlash to an extent...

But Facebook hate isn't gonna reverse this...only mass cancellations (not an option) or soft bookings for an extended timeframe would...

CaptainAmerica

My first instinct was to completely agree with you...

...then I remembered they just decided to charge for something they wholy own, have ample land for, and cost near nothing to operate.

All frontiers are eventually crossed
You're missing the point. Charging for DME would actually make Disney LESS money. Charging for DME makes people more likely to rent a car, meaning they're going to dinner at Golden Corral and buying merch at the giant wizard shop on 192. That's exactly the opposite of what they're going for.

NearTheEars

I think you're underestimating the backlash. This has hit the mainstream. My Facebook feed is full of this from people who aren't Disneyphiles but go every 2-4 years....

I think there will be plenty of backlash, but they will weather the storm without skipping a beat. They do not care. And they will have all kinds of new revenue from this to cover any short term effects from angry longtime customers. Then eventually they will be replaced by new customers already used to forking out parking money on other vacations. And a few years from now it will all be forgotten.

We already transitioned to staying off site for our weekend staycations. This move pretty much guarantees that we won't even consider a stay on property now.
In the end staying in OTown is really unnecessary for us when we could just drive back and forth from home every day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're missing the point. Charging for DME would actually make Disney LESS money. Charging for DME makes people more likely to rent a car, meaning they're going to dinner at Golden Corral and buying merch at the giant wizard shop on 192. That's exactly the opposite of what they're going for.

They number of people staying onsite who would choose to go to the Golden Corral in Kissimmee is vhastly diminishing and will soon be gone in the long run...

They're "price conditioning" people to not care what they dump on property...not exaclty a new trend...

If they eliminate rental car usuage...what's to stop them from charging...or doing minnievans as the "personalized, best option"

Dumber things have caught on...have you ever heard of "after hours magic"?

Admiral01

Premium Member
This decision is greed pure and simple.

We already pay a premium to stay on property. A major premium. And it shows dedication to the brand and to the experience.

Amenities at the resorts have neither increased nor improved as time has gone on. Nothing has occurred which warrants a sudden charge for parking.

What additional benefit are we getting for this additional charge? None. Is the WDC hurting for cash flow? Hurting for profit? Did their taxes go up? No to each.

I recognize their job is to make as much money as possible, and I respect the ways they do it. But this is just greed. Dishonorable greed.

I let my AP expire at the beginning of February, and did not renew in the window. I don't think I'm going to be getting a new one after this disgraceful decision. I can accept their creative decisions. I don't like them all, but they are creative decisions. With this decision, however, I am disgusted with the Walt Disney Company.

Goofyernmost

My first instinct was to completely agree with you...

...then I remembered they just decided to charge for something they wholy own, have ample land for, and cost near nothing to operate.

All frontiers are eventually crossed
The thing is I don't think it is going to generate that much money but offsite hotels, if their management is awake have a perfect opportunity to get back a lot of the business they lost because of Disney Resort building. It will take awhile for the local areas to get new hotels opened or remodel the ones that are just standing idol now, but, they will be able to take advantage of it. If I were younger I would invest in a hotel and advertise the crap out of free parking to get the car people to stay there. If they are going to have to pay to park their car anyway they might as well just pay to park on a daily basis at the parks and give themselves a lot more flexibility and save a huge amount of money in the process. Having stayed onsite and offsite I can, without hesitation, say that nothing is missed, no magic, nothing when your eyes are closed and you are sleeping. It is a ginormous waste of money to stay in those highway robbery resorts or use the "Imaprisoner" bus ride from the airport. And you are missing out on a lot of good stuff that happens offsite. This past week alone was the Strawberry festival in Kissimmee.

DTD_Parking

Maybe they are missing it, but I hear you loud and clear and can still believe there's a reason to fear DME charges one day. If Disney pushes hard enough, they can build up a strong reliance on DME by a large core. If management strategies don't alter course, Disney will deem a small fee to use DME as a safe bet to squeeze this core group. No, not anytime soon, but one day. And nowhere near the 50 years this parking charge took to come into existence.

fngoofy

Get your groceries from Garden Grocer and dump the Dining Plan. You'll save several hundred dolars.
I hear ya, but we always go when we get the Free Dining Plan spiff. Plus, we dig going to the different restaurants. But if we were staying at a DVC, it might be a different story. Though I wouldn't want to do dishes and cook on vacation, I get enough of that during the year ;-)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing is I don't think it is going to generate that much money but offsite hotels, if their management is awake have a perfect opportunity to get back a lot of the business they lost because of Disney Resort building. It will take awhile for the local areas to get new hotels opened or remodel the ones that are just standing idol now, but, they will be able to take advantage of it. If I were younger I would invest in a hotel and advertise the crap out of free parking to get the car people to stay there. If they are going to have to pay to park their car anyway they might as well just pay to park on a daily basis at the parks and give themselves a lot more flexibility and save a huge amount of money in the process. Having stayed onsite and offsite I can, without hesitation, say that nothing is missed, no magic, nothing when your eyes are closed and you are sleeping. It is a ginormous waste of money to stay in those highway robbery resorts or use the "Imaprisoner" bus ride from the airport. And you are missing out on a lot of good stuff that happens offsite. This past week alone was the Strawberry festival in Kissimmee.
There are 450
Offsite hotels...most built or completely rebuilt after the bulk of wdw hotels were constructed...

It's not a matter of "getting business back"...that's more the dynamic in the lack of space Anaheim market.

Disney hotels aren't really competing offsite...never have. Ruling their own domain.

fngoofy

On top of ticket price increases, food price increases, soda price increases annually... all while the parks remain delapitated.

Can you Imagine the good press that they'd get if say they didn't increase ticket prices one year while Universal did? That's assuming TDO cared about the goodwill of the company of course :rolleyes:
The parks aren't dilapidated. We were just there in Sept. and everything looked fantastic (and I have a critical eye.) Our resort was fantastic, all the parks looked great, and the transportation was fine. The problem I have with this fee is that parking your car is like flushing the toilet, you don't have to, but it is nice to be able to. Putting a meter on it doesn't make you feel good about the experience.

RobbinsDad

Global demand for IP is why TWDC will get away with cash grabs like this now and for the foreseeable future. As long as Disney studios keeps cranking out movies and television adored the world over, demand for Disney vacation experiences will be high. I don't know about you but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So email, post, stand on soap boxes and curse the gods. Just know that every time you watch a Disney movie or turn on the Disney Channel for your kids you're justifying TWDC actions. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just as guilty and I'm not apologizing. But I also see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

tirian

The parks aren't dilapidated. We were just there in Sept. and everything looked fantastic (and I have a critical eye.) Our resort was fantastic, all the parks looked great, and the transportation was fine. The problem I have with this fee is that parking your car is like flushing the toilet, you don't have to, but it is nice to be able to. Putting a meter on it doesn't make you feel good about the experience.
The parks are arguably in better shape now than five years ago.

But

At the same time that newspapers are reporting how Disney underpays its frontline Cast, and as Touring Plans has floated the idea that Disney has been purposely understaffing its parks and undermining the Guest experience to save money, and as CMs have come forward and confirmed that their hours have indeed been cut and that’s why many food and attraction queues are long even on slow days...

...Disney drops the parking lot news.

matt9112

Are people mad about the parking fee or the fact free parking is going away? It’s a revenue stream that a public company has to look at. Every downtown hotel I have stayed in has parking fees and every sports venues have parking fees - paid $50 just for basic parking at an NFL stadium. I hope this fee makes some stay away from the parks because they are just crazy packed anymore.

we are not downtown....were on tens of thousands of acres....

asianway

Nothing is going to break the camel’s back. Disney will not revert this policy because over time outrage will die and this will become the norm. It’s the same logic behind how the parks are run into the ground. Over time the less and less becomes the norm and standard, and then that standard becomes all that people have ever known. It just takes time. Disney knows and operates off of this idea, and it works wonderfully for them.
Like how many times I've been called a liar about life mugs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom