News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

slappy magoo

We did confirm today that, for the time-being this wil not affect DVC renters who use dvc points at dvc resorts. However, we are wondering if this may become a perk for those who buy through Disney direct in the future, as so many of the other perks have become.
They can't charge DVC members to park. We pay for the upkeep through our dues, so this is not a "perk". So not something they can restrict to certain categories of members.

I guess their thinking on renters is they are using points on which dues have been paid; to make them pay could be tricky.

Right, even if you're buying resale, your maintenance fees will include the upkeep on the lots so unless Disney were somehow legally able to "Buy back" the lots from DVC to itself (which would in theory reduce the maintenance fees we currently pay), I don't see how they can start charging DVC members to park at the lots...

What I CAN see is them attempting to start charging DVC members who use their cars to drive to the parks. Sure, overnight parking at the resorts is covered under your dues...but your dues don't cover the lots at Epcot, Sparkles.

Will it happen? Dunno, hope not. But I suppose it could

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The Disney Transportation System is severely taxed. Monorails that are bordering on disrepair, a bus system that is so overcrowded during peak times that Disney must outsource to third party operators to increase their fleet. Not to mention that reliability, while good, still not magical, especially if one of said transports suffers a mechanical issue. The boats are slow, crowded, and have their own issues.

I don't think Disney's goal here is "hey let's get more people on Disney Transportation". As for keeping people onsite, sure that's a goal, but for $20 bucks I don't think many people are going to give up the freedom of taking a ride to the outlet malls, Uni, SeaWorld, or I-Drive attractions and restaurants.

If the goal was to get rid of cars and move people to DT, Disney wouldn't have spent a boatload of money building parking garages, widening Buena Vista Drive, and constructing a new off ramp for I-4.

mmssbrg2

What do you suppose the parking fee for the immersive Star Wars resort is gonna be? $100 a night?........Maybe they'll have an Ewok park your car in valet.

Attachments

• 26eqx7.jpg
    26eqx7.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 43

ELG13

Ok..so what I'm taking is that people think the main reason behind this is so people won't bring cars??? I'm a Disney fanatic but don't pretend to know the business side of it all...but...that being said...it seems like a very poor attempt of that truly is the reason. We drive 7 hrs...we would never consider flying. Once we arrive we park and we avoid driving our car again until we leave. I don't see this small fee (small in the grand scheme I mean...but a bs move ) being enough to make people not drive. ..or is it more for the people who fly in...to not RENT a car...still seems like a poor attempt at that. It still feels like nickle and diming. Enough make people mad but not quite enough to push 98% of people away. I was on another forum a few days ago where they were talking about topping at Pecos being minimal now...no more guac, cheese sauce etc. It's these little annoyances to us that seem to just make their profits continue to rise. Business is business. Little fees and take aways here and there really add up. If they are going to do the parking and resort fees, what will be added. I stay at hotels often enough but never have been charged a resort fee for in room coffee or been charged for parking overnight. I get that the whole Orlando area is a tourist trap, but I live on a beach that is also a large tourist trap, but I've never paid a resort fee or paid to park...even when I'm staying during peak and holiday weekends.

mmssbrg2

Ok..so what I'm taking is that people think the main reason behind this is so people won't bring cars??? I'm a Disney fanatic but don't pretend to know the business side of it all...but...that being said...it seems like a very poor attempt of that truly is the reason. We drive 7 hrs...we would never consider flying. Once we arrive we park and we avoid driving our car again until we leave. I don't see this small fee (small in the grand scheme I mean...but a bs move ) being enough to make people not drive. ..or is it more for the people who fly in...to not RENT a car...still seems like a poor attempt at that. It still feels like nickle and diming. Enough make people mad but not quite enough to push 98% of people away. I was on another forum a few days ago where they were talking about topping at Pecos being minimal now...no more guac, cheese sauce etc. It's these little annoyances to us that seem to just make their profits continue to rise. Business is business. Little fees and take aways here and there really add up. If they are going to do the parking and resort fees, what will be added. I stay at hotels often enough but never have been charged a resort fee for in room coffee or been charged for parking overnight. I get that the whole Orlando area is a tourist trap, but I live on a beach that is also a large tourist trap, but I've never paid a resort fee or paid to park...even when I'm staying during peak and holiday weekends.

It won't necessarily dissuade people who would drive down anyway. What it will do is make those who fly and either rent a car at the airport or take DME and rent a car on property think twice about renting that car.

gdrj

Oh, the horror of it all. I just hate having to pay money for things on my luxury vacation. Seriously, I could have sworn that Disney already charged resort fees.

I don't see the big deal and the other resorts do this for a reason. So, why not Disney?

Two different issues.
1- In regards to parking fees, no matter where I stay, no matter what I am paying, I despise parking fees. Especially when its just parking lot. I understand a bit more if it is a garage, especially in a n urban environment.

2- In regards to resort fees. Not a fan again, but many of the Disney Hotels are resorts, and if you think about the transportation, boats monorail, busses etc. Not to mention the grounds etc it makes sense EXCEPT they are already charging outrageous room fees. When you are paying over $200 for a construction zone or $400-$500 for a "Deluxe" Hotel the fees is just another money grab. The hotels are not comparable to true "deluxe hotels", and you are already paying a premium price because its on Disney, so the resort fee is for...a bottle of water and wifi?

ELG13

It won't necessarily dissuade people who would drive down anyway. What it will do is make those who fly and either rent a car at the airport or take DME and rent a car on property think twice about renting that car.
That makes sense i guess...I just feel like if that was the REAL reason, they would have charged more ya know? But that being said, I didn't realize how many people visit for weeks at a time. I guess since we live so close anything more than 5 days is unnecessary. Thinking that someone is staying at a moderate resort for 2 weeks that's an additional $250. I still just can't see people giving up the ability to drive if need be for such a small amount compared to the total price. I don't know....it just feels like a quick money maker.

bunnyman

You've already been paying for "free" parking for years via their higher than market rack room rates. Quite frankly if they had just raised rack rates (again) to cover the parking fee it would been overlooked by many. Just using the word "fee" on top of already high rates just smacked everyone in the face (think Monty Python fish slapping dance skit).

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
To all the questions about how people might game the system, my suspicion is that eventually, even with guards and magic bands that open gates to let cars in, there will also be tickets, just like most parking lots in urban areas or at airports or other mass transit stations. The ticket will have the time you entered the lot and a bar or QR code that translates that time in computer-ese. Even if you have a magic band or a resort card, you'll have to wave the band/card AND take the ticket in order to enter a lot (unless your band has the data that proves you never have to pay the fee or the guard raises the gate for you in order to exempt you. When you're ready to go, you'll have to use you ticket to determine if you pay and/or how much. Were you planning to pretend you were going to Contemporary to eat and shop but you're really walking over to MK? Well unless you're going for a super short amount of time, you'll still wind up paying (especially because you used your magic band to get entrance into MK). And when you try to exit the lot, whether they make you pay at the car or they'll be a payment station with a 15 minute window to leave or you can make the payment on your phone, there won't be much way to get around it...except keeping it honest, going to Contemporary (in this example) dining and shopping and leaving. The bands will do quite a lot to prove where you're going or staying and by tracking your movement, they'll be able to determine what if anything you should pay at the resort lots.

Crap. There goes my loophole to park at CR and go to MK LOL. Having a band requirement to enter and exit the self parking would prevent the loophole of telling security I'm going to Valet and then just driving right through to the (very empty) parking lot. Drats!

John park hopper

You've already been paying for "free" parking for years via their higher than market rack room rates. Quite frankly if they had just raised rack rates (again) to cover the parking fee it would been overlooked by many. Just using the word "fee" on top of already high rates just smacked everyone in the face (think Monty Python fish slapping dance skit).

Double charging for parking plain and simple. Blatant money grab, a new low for Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom