News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

slappy magoo

Again... this logic leap has no basis. Just because you are paying for stuff in your fees doesn't mean they can't change or charge for it. Next fiscal they just change what your fees do or do not cover.. and boom.. you start paying out of pocket. I mean, your fees pay for staff and services... that doesn't mean all services are free.
Not sure you're right. And I'm not sure parking is a service per se (unlike valet parking). But I did theorize earlier than DVC could theoretically concoct a scheme where the ground the lots are on gets sold back to WDW...which allows WDW to charge for parking...I'd assume such a scheme might have to get some say from the "owners," and it would rightfully entail at least some kind of small rollback for maintenance fees because there would be less ground to maintain, but it would give WDW the ability to charge DVC members to park at the resort. I also theorized WDW not charging DVC members to park at their home resort or the resort they're staying at...but then charging them for theme park parking, in an attempt to persuade members to not use their cars as much, minimizing the need for a car.

Your fees pay for the DVC lounge at BLT... that doesn't mean it must be free to eat there.
Bad example. Because your fees do not pay for the food they serve. A better example probably would have been that fees cover the grounds and electricity used at the arcades but you still pay to play the games, or the bike rentals. (And my guess on those things, on paper, DVC leases space to WDW to provide those amenities as part of the deal to "sell" the property from WDW to DVC for the timeshare in the first place)

But to pay for parking on property you technically own would be like a townhouse or condo association making you pay for the maintenance of a parking lot or garage...AND paying for the right to use the garage, and since condos (and timeshares) are supposed to be revenue neutral, they'd have to be able to prove the extra fees were necessary for the upkeep of the lots or garages.

Stylesrocks

We are staying for the first time on property in May. I’m just floored at the parking fee. It is such a scum bag move. The cost of a deluxe resort, the cost of food, my valuable time to wait in Line after line, the stress to get your desired fast pass or dining reservation, hold times when calling reservations during a frequent “busy” time, the restriction by Disney to provide stay options and costs without first divulging all my personal demographics info, the resort fees, bus hold ups, rising admission costs, etc etc. make this place the epitome of capitalism NOT magic. I’m disgusted with myself for even taking my family. Glad it’s the last time we have to go ... I’ll be traveling overseas, the Caribbean , out West or taking a cruise for my future trips. It’s time to get back to nature and bury the ears!

DisneyparkFreak

Not sure I agree with the move, but it makes sense. Disney wants to keep you captive on property and car = freedom. By not having a car you are forced to use their transportation and not leave property so from a strategic position it makes sense. The resort fees I'm not on board with, but they will do it none the less because millions of people go there and they know that the large majority only go once, so they need to drain as much out of you as possible since they will only have access to your wallet one time.

On the flip side Disney is like a 4 year old child. They will continue to push the envelope until they are either told NO and punished or a bigger kid takes their toy away.

Our trip is April 27th. It may be our last for quite some time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not sure you're right. And I'm not sure parking is a service per se (unlike valet parking). But I did theorize earlier than DVC could theoretically concoct a scheme where the ground the lots are on gets sold back to WDW...which allows WDW to charge for parking...

They don’t need to go that far. Owning the lots and still charging for their use is perfectly valid. The bigger issue is the precedent- not ability to do so. And we just saw what Disney did with decades of precedent at the resort :)

Bad example. Because your fees do not pay for the food they serve. A better example probably would have been that fees cover the grounds and electricity used at the arcades but you still pay to play the games, or the bike rentals. (And my guess on those things, on paper, DVC leases space to WDW to provide those amenities as part of the deal to "sell" the property from WDW to DVC for the timeshare in the first place)

But to pay for parking on property you technically own would be like a townhouse or condo association making you pay for the maintenance of a parking lot or garage...AND paying for the right to use the garage, and since condos (and timeshares) are supposed to be revenue neutral, they'd have to be able to prove the extra fees were necessary for the upkeep of the lots or garages.

Or say... splitting the cost of the spa... for access to it... but that doesn’t make them owe you the spa for free. a
As for neutral, that’s true, but you’ve added another false constraint that it has to be neutral on the line item level. The association can charge for things to raise funds to pay for other elements of the budget. A budget that includes Services’s and fees completely controlled by Mickey.

Dvc has lots of extra visibility due to being a timeshare, but not true open market or transparency since the relationship is so incestuous with Disney.

Last edited:

ThatMouse

The room rates have steadily increased and "parking" is just another way to increase the price. Your $1000 vacation this year will be $1500 next year. I'm so glad we aren't DVC members locked into having to spend our money here. We go 4 times a year and we enjoy the resorts more than the parks really. I'm glad we can still park at the resorts for the day apparently, but we will probably be looking at offsite options and going less and finding something else to spend money on.

HauntedMansionFLA

The more I think about it, everything points to staying offsite unless it's a special occasion.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn at Disney Springs last August. We didn’t go to the parks this trip but were pleased with the hotel. We saw busses taking people to the parks, guest service was great, excellent room rate. Plus, we watched three sets of fireworks from our room each night. MK, DHS and Epcot- very enjoyable.

drp4video

What’s next no outside food in the parks
And of course, eventually they will charge for passes to ride the buses, and MDE won't be free anymore.

I fly in and always rent a car as it is faster to get to the resort to and from the airport, and to and from the parks...especially when the parks close and the lines to get on the buses and buses themselves are so crowded. We also go to Universal, sometimes the ocean, and shopping or visit family who live north of Orlando. I assume I won't be charged for my May visit as I have already made my reservation, but I also assume this will be my last resort stay. I love the atmosphere of staying on property, and the free parking in the parks was a perk. Lets face it, the resort rooms themselves aren't that great. For less than what I am paying at POFQ I can stay elsewhere in a great hotel with no parking fee, take a shuttle to the parks and save money.

mololy

Can anyone clarify if the cabins at fort wilderness would be charged a parking fee? i would think they'd be similar to the campsites but they weren't specifically mentioned in the announcement as exempt

DisneyDaver

I have never seen a company so hell bent on pushing its loyal customer base out the door with fees.

I don't know the answer for sure, but I suspect the "loyals" aren't WDW's main target. Many, many resorts and hotels charge parking fees so to those who aren't avid WDW like us, they probably wouldn't be surprised at all by the parking charge. I have many friends who have been to WDW once or twice and think they will likely make another trip or two back while they still have young kids. They won't even know/remember whether the parking fee is new or not and won't care much about it. That market of WDW customers is huge and I suspect those people are WDW's main target.

USofA scott

I know you are new here and I hope you stick around and learn from the posters but don't make your 6th post ever a series of 6 'facts' where 5 of these are pretty clearly opinions and the other is restating the purpose of this 100 page thread. I'm sure you're capable of better.[/QUOTE]
Actually, there are no opinions listed there. just non-judgmental facts. Just because the facts do not support your hypothesis does not make them invalid.

The parking charges don't apply to me personally but is obviously shows what Disneys intentions are even for onsite guests.

I think I may just not bother with investing in DVC and just stay at the Whydum by Disney Springs, get all the 60 benefits, better hotel and some cracking rates in January/September when we tend to go

Except the Wyndham charges 15.00 per day for parking and 25.00 per day resort fee.

omg!!! what is the their problem. their “value” resorts are not values anymore at prices almost always or over $200. omg i am kicking and screaming. greedy greedy greedy and their customer service lately is real poopy! arggggggg
Let's see, we are in the middle of Magic Season. The only time it is more expensive to stay at Walt Disney World is Easter and Christmas weeks. The rate at AS Sports is 162 for a preferred room. The Motel 6 on Idrive is 82.00 for a double room with refrigerator. it is 5.98 additional for internet access in rooms and public areas. The room does not include any transportation to Disney. So, you better have a car. Parking at Disney will add 22.00 per day. Motel 6 rooms average 225 sq foot per room. All Stars rooms are 260 sq foot.

The room is 25% larger.

This is the IDrive Motel 6 pool: pool picture
Does not quite live up to the All Stars Pools.
I guess the real question is, Is it worth 50.00 for the experience?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Welp, further validates my decision to just continue staying at Swan and Dolphin.
I second this.

Swolphin charges for parking. And has a mandatory resort fee, which they say covers paying for WiFi. And they run specials where you can get WiFi "for free", even though you still have to pay for WiFi by way of the mandatory resort fee.

It's still cheaper to stay at a Value and pay for parking there than at the Swolphin.

We have not made any reservations yet though will be going in May-June and stay either at the All-Star Resort's, Pop Century, or Art of Animation. We will have our car parked at the hotel and using the busses to go to all the parks. Will we have to pay a parking fee? 3 years ago Summer 2015 we were a family of 4 was able to go to all the parks and stay at the hotel for $4,000.00.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom