News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

ELG13

It’s kind of funny to step back and realize everyone’s complaining about a $25 on a $400+ PER NIGHT ROOM. I mean I get it I don’t stay at the resorts anymore it’s just too expensive. By contrast though the parking fee is negligible. The problem isn’t the parking fee but the room rate. The fact is though Disney will still fill the rooms and it won’t matter if people are upset.
I think that's the point that most people are trying to make. If they are paying $400+ a night, there shouldn't be an additional fee to park. Is it that a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things? No. Does it feel like a cheap move? Yes. We stayed at the cabins last year @$360 a night and it was amazing, but the additional fee of parking probably would have made us reconsider because it would have been an additional night in cost practically. It probably would have forced us off site. We just booked a trip yesterday and were considering off site but between resort fees and parking fees and some places charging for shuttle use, it was easier to stay on property. This additional charge for on property would have probably put us back off property since we had a budget we wanted to stay in. They will always sell out hotels but it's getting harder for middle class families to afford. Does everyone deserve a Disney vacation? No...and I know plenty of people will say "if you cant afford it too bad"etc but it's Disney and so many people would lov to be able to take their kids and experience it. Again...i know it's luxary regardless of where you stay...but for me it's just the idea of it all. I know we will probably still go a few more times, but I also know people who probably won't be able to go with it getting so expensice. I do agree that the rates are getting crazy. I just the the nickel and diming is tacky and takes away from the magic.

George

Liker of Things
I think the pricing has been very fluid. I was told different (higher) numbers earlier this week.

You have to remain flexible and yielding at first. Find out exactly how much someone can take, make them feel safe and comfortable. Listen to them, try and meet their needs in such a way that they think you care about their satisfaction. It is only then that you can really give it to 'em.

CaptainAmerica

People are upset at the perception vs. the reality. That's why I would tend to agree that there is a behavioral response that Disney is looking for. If this was merely a cash grab, they could have simply increased the price of value resorts by $13/night, moderates by $19/night, and deluxe resorts by $24/night and hardly anyone would have batted an eye - at least compared to the response we're seeing now. The perception of paying for something that used to be 'free' is more painful to the guest than an extra $24 on an already $400/night resort rate, even though the end result is the same.
This. EXACTLY this. Priority 1 of this change is to get resort guests to stop renting cars. The actual cash associated with the fee is a distant second.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Welcome news and smart business. Get people onto the busses and out from behind the wheel. Should cut down on traffic and congestion across property.

Except for all those people who live within 1-2 days worth of driving... who would rather drive then fly. How dare they!

If congestion on property was the real problem to be solved, Disney could have made moves to DISCOURAGE churn by making it more costly to LEAVE the parking lot... vs arriving, parking and just staying. Simply making you pay for in/out privledges, etc. Instead, they took the easy 'just charge em a fat nightly fee' model... because the motivations are more than just problem solving...

CaptainAmerica

Not according to @lentesta . #InLenITrust
You have to narrow the list down considerably to get at what I was talking about. I'm excluding locals. Obviously nobody is going to fly from Ft. Lauderdale. I'm also not especially concerned with DVC or other pass holders, since this doesn't apply to them. Of people 1) far enough to fly and 2) normal non-DVC, non-passholder guests, drivers are a minority.

CaptainAmerica

Except for all those people who live within 1-2 days worth of driving... who would rather drive then fly. How dare they!

If congestion on property was the real problem to be solved, Disney could have made moves to DISCOURAGE churn by making it more costly to LEAVE the parking lot... vs arriving, parking and just staying. Simply making you pay for in/out privledges, etc. Instead, they took the easy 'just charge em a fat nightly fee' model... because the motivations are more than just problem solving...
Except that logic doesn't follow. If what they wanted is what you're describing, they would have just raised prices on EVERYONE, not just the drivers.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It says "Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter"

So if I book my reservations for June and August RIGHT NOW, will the parking fees still be there when I arrive?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Drivers are 1) a small fraction of guests and 2) not very valuable from a PCGS perspective. They bring groceries, eat offsite, shop on 192, etc. at much higher rates than fliers. If Disney can trade a driver moving off property for a flier that now doesn't rent a car, they'll make that trade every single day.

More bogus thoughts passed off as facts.

The entire SE portion of the country is within driving distance of WDW, and as anyone who drives I-95 knows... a ton of people still drive! When your family grows to 4, 5, or more you'll get it when flying ANYWHERE becomes an extreme cost due to the multipliers.

Capsin4

This. EXACTLY this. Priority 1 of this change is to get resort guests to stop renting cars. The actual cash associated with the fee is a distant second.
Oh it’s definitely about cash. Much the same way that extra fees that didn’t used to exist take in billions for the airline industry. People compare prices before fees. If it happens to reduce guest spending elsewhere, no big deal. It’ll probably displace spending that requires employees and inventory to collect😯

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except that logic doesn't follow. If what they wanted is what you're describing, they would have just raised prices on EVERYONE, not just the drivers.

Nope - they could still give exceptions as they are doing now (it muddies the system... but so does their current exception process). Even if they didn't... take away the free theme park parking for resort guests and that makes a huge dent... add in in/out costs and you get where you want without having to charge HUGE fees like they are now.

If they were actually trying to fix congestion... there are easier, more direct ways than what they chose... and they aren't big thinking exercises.

surfsupdon

I feel some of those Value and Moderate Resort parking lots are huge and expansive!!! Shrink them down and grow more green spaces. CBR, Riverside, and Pop all come to mind as having way too many parking spots.
Besides, Disney can make more money turning once parking views into garden/woods views.

nickys

Premium Member
I haven't used ME, but don't you need to give them a flight number that you're on, and don't they pick up your luggage?

You'd be better off parking at the $3/day lot and then Uber/Lyft to your resort.

You don't have to have a flight number to use MDE. Anyone with a resort reservation can use it.

You either call them and tell them roughly what time you want to to be picked up and return to MCO, or chose a flight number near the time you want.

They only pick up luggage with the special yellow tags on them. You can collect luggage and load it into the coach.

BuddyThomas

Yes, it's true. We will now be taxed by Disney for staying at resorts with already inflated pricing.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/
Look! Your dream is coming true!

OneofThree - February 8 - speaking of crowd issues:
"What makes sense however (and however unpopular), is address the issue in the same way these problems are dealt with in other industries -supply and demand. I hate to say it, but the way to fix this by financially feasible methods is through pricing."

Last edited:

Mainahman

The entire SE portion of the country is within driving distance of WDW, and as anyone who drives I-95 knows... a ton of people still drive! When your family grows to 4, 5, or more you'll get it when flying ANYWHERE becomes an extreme cost due to the multipliers.
Were a family of 3. I live 701 miles from the world. its 75 bucks in gas round trip, and i have a new car. Im not paying 500 in flights that makes me fly to Washington DC, then to orlando, restricts when i arrive, and when i leave, and what i can buy while there. Easy as that, This happens just as we made a choice to upgrade for the next trip from POP to WL, we may look at the annual pass, and stay off site and squeeze in a couple more shorter trips a year.

CaptainAmerica

My family is already 4, I have two daughters.

I don't have anything against people who drive. I rent a car myself sometimes and, as I said, I was a local for three years. But you're mistaken if you're denying that a core philosophy of the strategy and pricing folks in TDO is to keep as many guests as possible on property without a car. Without a car you're buying breakfast, lunch, and dinner right from Disney. All your souvenirs too. That's worth WAY more than $20 per room per night. And I'm not saying the fee itself plays no part. Of course it does. But captive guests are the bigger prize.

KRW101

Were a family of 3. I live 701 miles from the world. its 75 bucks in gas round trip, and i have a new car. Im not paying 500 in flights that makes me fly to Washington DC, then to orlando, restricts when i arrive, and when i leave, and what i can buy while there. Easy as that, This happens just as we made a choice to upgrade for the next trip from POP to WL, we may look at the annual pass, and stay off site and squeeze in a couple more shorter trips a year

We are in a similar situation, about 900 miles away, we drive straight through. So in addition to having to pay for the bus transportation we don’t use, we have to pay to park at the resort. Eventually, they will probably take away free parking at the parks for resort guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom