News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

mousland

I do not understand the justification for this beyond "Other resorts do it" That is the worst justification ever. To me this is bad press for Disney and one that I hope they will reverse. I am a Vacation Club member so as I understand the new policy it will not impact me but I hate that it will impact non-Vacation Club members. I have paid parking fees at resorts in the past but they were usually in big city centers i.e. Philly, Chicago, NYC where parking is at a premium and the garages are monitored.

mousland

Not all hotels on Disney property are resorts. They can't possibility charge a resort fee for Pop and All-Star. It's not a resort! Hell you can get those rooms for $80 a night during off peak months. Then they are going to tack on a $20 a night fee (industry standard) and a $30 a day to parking? That sounds a little extreme even for Disney.
If you read the info carefully even Value hotels (still considered resorts) are included at ~$13 per night.

POLY LOVER

The way it is we get a trip usually every 6 years due to costs. My wife wants to be in the disney bubble, but this may change her mind. the next trip we were planning was to be next year, the 2 of us. a week at Wilderness lodge, 5 day park tickets, dining etc. We drive so tack on another close to 200 putting our amount due to like 4500.

If i pay my own food, grab a hotel and tickets via my employers discount im looking at before food and gas to drive, 1186, and thats with free parking at said hotel... if we stayed offsite and drove in every day, a park a day, we could go yearly if not twice....

I have never seen a company so hell bent on pushing its loyal customer base out the door with fees.

disneygeek90

Serious question-

Are people really being serious about parking offsite and ubering to their Disney resort? I can’t imagine that many would go thru that hassle.
And by the time you uber over... you're looking at about $20. No real savings, with even more hassle. Not to mention the uber back to get your car, and if you actually want to use it throughout your trip.

Cmdr_Crimson

Sooner or were going to have to pay for the air we breathe within the confides of the resort...
VX9hUJZ.gif

21stamps

depending on where you stay, the offsite hotel can be as close if not closer than alot of the Disney Resorts. Especially if you are going to Animal Kingdom, there are a ton of hotels right on West Irlo 192 right at the WDW property line.

But can you just leave your car at those hotels? Wondering if your car was towed would be a lot of anxiety to carry around every day.

Gringrinngghost

Some Additional Theories:

1. Push to get more people to join the DVC.
2. To attempt guests from going to other parks while staying at Disney World. (I can see this one happening since some resort guests like to visit Universal while staying at Disney)
3. To keep more guests in the Disney Ecosystem

Let's face it, Disney is estimated to make if they have FULL lots, over $50,000 per day ($18.25 Million per year). So they have to afford those general markups somehow, plus all the expansions... They don't care unless it negatively impacts them which will be interesting to see how this proceeds forward. I am interested to see if the SureSpot Units come into play with this...

laben594

I get why Disney is adding the parking fee, it is a standard at the nicest resorts in Florida and I'm sure elsewhere. However, when is the last time I stayed on property and thought "wow, this is one of the nicest resorts I've ever stayed in!"

Most of the resorts are worn down, old, and are "fancy" quality inns. We have been staying at the Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, and the Waldorf for a few years now because I couldn't stomach paying the astronomical prices that Disney charges for a subpar room when I could be spending the same price at a real luxury resort. The ONLY reason we have stayed on property the few times in the past couple years is because I knew we wouldn't be charged a resort or parking fee.

Sorry Disney, I feel like you are getting a little carried away with the nickle and diming.

Anyone looking for an amazing hotel stay at the Flamingo crossings townplace suites or spring hill suites. Great prices, free breakfast, no resort or parking fee, and right by animal kingdom

alphac2005

Prime example of the price grabbing with Team Disney Orlando grabbing every cent out of your pocket in Florida: It's cheaper to park at the Disneyland Resort than at the Walt Disney World parks. $22 in Florida versus $20 in California and from merchandise to food, we found many similar items priced slightly lower in Anaheim, which completely defies economics of California versus Florida. Not that it is any surprise, just an observation.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just curious, can you provide evidence that invalidates his theory and supports yours? If not then I don't think you can unequivocally dismiss his opinion anymore than you would want others to dismiss yours as proletariat bellyaching.

Interestingly, they've been "eroding goodwill" ever since I joined the boards 14 years ago. They are still posting record numbers.

While I don't agree with this decision and others, I don't think the message board laments of "eroding goodwill" and "short term thinking" are particularly valid after a decade and a half of the same Chicken Little (underrated movie, by the way) proselytizing.

I hadn't been on the "erosion of goodwill" beat until a few years ago. I still had hope that they would not focus solely on bottom-line numbers. Sadly, I think that dream is but a dot in the rear-view mirror now.

What I fear will happen is that these types of moves will only increase the number of guests who visit, and then they can puff their chest out and say, "I took my kids to Disney World!!!" as some kind of badge of honor. It could very well lead to more one-and-done visitors, as I don't see how they can continually attempt to wring more $$$ out of guests without some kind of consequence. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the appetite of WDW guests truly has no financial limitation. An economic downturn and we'll find out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom