News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Creathir

How long until there are off site parking lots for $10/night that shuttle you to your resort? You then take a shuttle and pick car up at the end of your vacation.
Hey, we could even add value to the proposition: Have your groceries waiting for you on the shuttle if you pre-arrange it.

Make sure we have covered lots to keep the cars cool and protected during storms.

Of course the shuttle will conveniently go to the Universal parks and resorts as well...

Honestly, why the hell not? It’s not like there is an absense of available land to build lots on, like say NYC, where parking fees make sense.

Pathetic cash grab by Disney.

Mainahman

We just enjoyed our last free parking last week. The money if we choose to stay on campus will have to come from somewhere so we will likely cut Park Hoppers or dining plan and do what sharing we can.

WDWYankee15

Except to go stay at Disney Springs, I pay less for a room 100 sq feet bigger with more amenities. At Universal, the resorts are significantly less money. If they added this while lowering the price of a room slightly (or heck not increasing the price as they have), I think most would be fine with this.
See the problem with your thinking is they don't care if you're not fine. Other people will be fine with it or upset but still book their rooms. Unless their occupancy rates drop... which they won't, then they don't need to worry about how you, me, or the brick wall feels. It's sad, but true. They already know their rooms are mostly booked now and will be packed when Star Wars Land comes in 2019. With Extra Magic hours probably being one of the only ways you even sniff Galaxy Edge in the first 2 years or so, the room prices will soar and so will those clamoring for reservations. Honestly, we already know Disney is not worried about occupancy at their resorts, when they opened the 60 day FastPass booking window to "partner" resorts in Downtown Disney area a few months back.

You just need to read the tea leaves. The signs are all there.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This will make less people rent vehicles. And more people dependent on Minnie Vans when they are on property. For my family however that drives to WDW will be enjoying our final trip with “free” parking this April.

Which is one of the overall resorts stated strategies. Most of the things they are doing now such as the gondola's and Minnie Vans are intended to (over time) slow the growth of vehicle traffic around the property. The massive amount of road work underway right now is something that simply cannot be sustained for growth into the future. They can't just keep widening roads and adding more fly-overs- at some point you hit a wall and some days I sense they aren't all that far from that wall. They need to look at any and all strategies that might reduce the number of cars on the property by pushing guests to things like Magic Express, Minnie Vans, Gondola's, and anything else they are considering for the future to manage the ever increasing flow of people to and around the whole property.

Rescue Ranger

Glad I'm already booked and will avoid this greed. Not much else to say. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this for paying resort guests. Always more for less these days.

Be my last traditional stay. Only renting DVC going forward after this.

carnini

This will make less people rent vehicles. And more people dependent on Minnie Vans when they are on property. For my family however that drives to WDW will be enjoying our final trip with “free” parking this April.

I agree that I would be less likely to rent a car if need be, having it sit there and have a daily charge would add up.

Mainahman

I just can't agree here. Why would I pay 400 bucks for my wife and I to fly and use the bus from mco when I can spend 75 bucks round trip for gas and drive... Yet now I'm being punished because I'm close enough and there isn't a good route and direct flights are expensive

Zeromancer

Damn. I always rent a car when we fly to orlando for disney and go to universal for a day or 2 with that car . Not going to spend 200+ dollar just for car parking... . Can anyone tell me what the best / cheapest way to universal is from disneyhotels ?

Bledley

I haven’t brought a car to Disney in years. I completely understand not everyone can do this, but I’ve just ubered everywhere. It’s cheaper than renting a car (even cheaper now with parking fees), and, at least in my experience, faster than Disney Buses.

tk924

I was looking at long term airport parking and there are offsite lots for as low as 3.00 a day. Park there, use their shuttle to the airport and the magic express to WDW.
Now that this has been posted, expect this price to double or even triple.

This policy will definitely make us change the length of our future stays. We are not to the point of quitting Disney... yet.

LSLS

See the problem with your thinking is they don't care if you're not fine. Other people will be fine with it or upset but still book their rooms. Unless their occupancy rates drop... which they won't, then they don't need to worry about how you, me, or the brick wall feels. It's sad, but true. They already know their rooms are mostly booked now and will be packed when Star Wars Land comes in 2019. With Extra Magic hours probably being one of the only ways you even sniff Galaxy Edge in the first 2 years or so, the room prices will soar and so will those clamoring for reservations. Honestly, we already know Disney is not worried about occupancy at their resorts, when they opened the 60 day FastPass booking window to "partner" resorts in Downtown Disney area a few months back.

You just need to read the tea leaves. The signs are all there.

You are correct. More than likely this won't provide a significant impact this year or the next few years. They will take a small hit. But I'm willing to bet nearly all that small hit is coming from people like me who would go a couple times a year. The question will be once you alienate your repeat customers, can you continue to sustain on one timers?

Cmdr_Crimson

Han can you help out....
giphy.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So, if Disney is just "following the norm" of other hotels with parking fees, does that mean Disney can build lower quality rides and attractions because "that's the norm" and that'll just be OK to the defenders because "that's the norm"? Not that Uni is doing that, but you get the point here.

A single paper cut won't kill you, nor will a single added fee/up-charge. But when you get more and more...

Creathir

Which is one of the overall resorts stated strategies. Most of the things they are doing now such as the gondola's and Minnie Vans are intended to (over time) slow the growth of vehicle traffic around the property. The massive amount of road work underway right now is something that simply cannot be sustained for growth into the future. They can't just keep widening roads and adding more fly-overs- at some point you hit a wall and some days I sense they aren't all that far from that wall. They need to look at any and all strategies that might reduce the number of cars on the property by pushing guests to things like Magic Express, Minnie Vans, Gondola's, and anything else they are considering for the future to manage the ever increasing flow of people to and around the whole property.
This has NOTHING to do with lowering vehicle counts.

Pure, unadulterated greed is all this is.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You are correct. More than likely this won't provide a significant impact this year or the next few years. They will take a small hit. But I'm willing to bet nearly all that small hit is coming from people like me who would go a couple times a year. The question will be once you alienate your repeat customers, can you continue to sustain on one timers?

This. It's the erosion of the goodwill that was built up over 60+ years of Disney theme parks. Once it's gone, they can't get it back.

Gringrinngghost

Disney only cares about the potential of $3600 (Estimate of Poly parking revenue) a night in the parking lot... guess they need to figure out a way to afford the 50th-anniversary work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom