News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Kman101

Right. I rented a car because I am traveling with an infant and figured it would be better to be able to get around under our own power for this trip. I made those plans months ago, have a car rental reservation, and skipped DME. So now I'm just supposed to hand over an additional couple of hundred bucks?

Unfortunately, they know most will. I hope people complain up a storm. I should have with Universal. It's just so wrong for what we pay to enter the parks and stay in the rooms. I don't care if it's a $250 room a night or a $600 room a night (as someone had wanted to bring up the price difference between Universal and Disney, as if that makes it OK for one to charge and not the other)

Kman101

Disagree, most of the APs I know are the cheapest people out there. No one rides for free.

I'd agree (I do buy some junk here and there and some food and drinks, but yeah, cheap is a good word for it. I'm sure my money spent means very very little to them and I know it.)

AP's are NOT the "best" customers they have. Doesn't Disneyland sort of hate they more or less rely on them?

yea ive gotten really screwed over by that in the past especially when booking on hotwire/priceline/etc

booking based on what it said was the final price then getting a nasty surprise upon arrival, they are slowly getting better with it though

Yep! Me too. I definitely do my research when I book and this has happened to me, notably one of the Disney Springs area hotels. I booked on hotels.com. They are getting better, true, I don't expect perfection but it's a bit tacky to be greeted with the parking fee by the employee at the front desk IMO. I should have already paid for the parking fee prior to checking in.

CJR

most of the APs I know are the cheapest people out there.

If they're paying for an AP, they're not the cheapest out there (at WDW).

The cheapest would be those using cast members for free admission and then using them again for free parking (or parking at Disney Springs), packing sandwiches for lunch.

DisDadWoz

So our trip begins in 3 weeks and I will be quite irritated if this hits between now and then. While I understand that it was probably going to happen (money grab? control those who park at resort? Both?) it would have been better to set the date as of 1/1/19 or something so that people could plan accordingly. I know if I go to the Swan/Dolphin that I'm going to get hit with it so I can plan, however rolling it out only a few weeks before people actually get there is whacked.

Kman101

Did you ever consider Annual Passes were never meant to be used in such a manner? Why shouldn't people who visit more pay more?

Why should parking be separate from admission? I don't agree at all that people who visit more should pay more. That's how you drive guests away. That's the opposite of good customer service. Sure your business makes more money in the short term but long term you lose customers. But they don't care about attracting new customers, I suppose, so ... You reward loyalty, you don't punish it and milk it dry, but that's what they're doing.

disneygeek90

Did you ever consider Annual Passes were never meant to be used in such a manner? Why shouldn't people who visit more pay more?
Trust me, I pay. Every day I enter I am paying for something. Whether it be another magic band, food, drinks etc. Just because I park for "free" doesn't mean my experience each day is free. However, most locals and AP's are consistent revenue of food and drink each day they go. I would be less inclined to stop by for an hour or two and purchase something if I'm being charged $25 each time.

noodles

At what point does the money grab overtake the joy of a family vacation?
Listen up, Disney. No one is forced to take these vacations. This will all play out very well for Disney for another decade, but once the worm has turned, the fun and games will be gone. Disney's sterling reputation will be replaced by a picture of avarice and tackiness.
Right now, Disney is the cool thing to do. But opinions on coolness constantly change. And when they change, you're not going to have your reputation to fall back on anymore.

asianway

Trust me, I pay. Every day I enter I am paying for something. Whether it be another magic band, food, drinks etc. Just because I park for "free" doesn't mean my experience each day is free. However, most locals and AP's are consistent revenue of food and drink each day they go. I would be less inclined to stop by for an hour or two and purchase something if I'm being charged $25 each time.
Lets start with the guy who's gone to DL every day for 6 years and work our way down from there. There needs to be some way to charge the AP visiting for 365 days just a wee bit more then the 2 week a year guest who buys it just because its a more cost effective admission media option.

and while you may buy something every time, theres a dozen locals who do not.

the_rich

Maybe there doing this as a way to persuade people to not rent cars for their vacation. This way they can't leave to go to universal et al.

disneygeek90

Lets start with the guy who's gone to DL every day for 6 years and work our way down from there. There needs to be some way to charge the AP visiting for 365 days just a wee bit more then the 2 week a year guest who buys it just because its a more cost effective admission media option.

and while you may buy something every time, theres a dozen locals who do not.
So one person doing that out of thousands means the system is flawed? In Disneyland no less. Where they are notorious for having an AP problem because the sheer amount of locals that are in the vicinity. Orlando doesn't have that problem. Not even by a long shot.

Right. And there's also dozens that pay monthly and don't make it to the parks for whatever reason. They're paying $40+ a month and guess what, that's free money for Disney if they don't show.

asianway

So one person doing that out of thousands means the system is flawed? In Disneyland no less. Where they are notorious for having an AP problem because the sheer amount of locals that are in the vicinity. Orlando doesn't have that problem. Not even by a long shot.

Right. And there's also dozens that pay monthly and don't make it to the parks for whatever reason. They're paying $40+ a month and guess what, that's free money for Disney if they don't show.
Orlando is the crown jewel when it comes to people who move there with the specific motivation of going to the park daily. They would live in their cars rather than give up the AP.

At least the people in LA have jobs.

bunnyman

I've argued in the past when discussions regarding "resort fees" came up that you're already paying for these items (including parking) in the very high daily room rates. The argument that other hotels charge these fees is meaningless when their daily rates are lower on average than WDW resorts. Also, to say that DL charges these fees is not a good comparison as land out there is at a premium. It they start with daily parking fees, and I'm sure other fees to follow, then what exactly are you getting with your high daily room rates?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I've argued in the past when discussions regarding "resort fees" came up that you're already paying for these items (including parking) in the very high daily room rates. The argument that other hotels charge these fees is meaningless when their daily rates are lower on average than WDW resorts. Also, to say that DL charges these fees is not a good comparison as land out there is at a premium. It they start with daily parking fees, and I'm sure other fees to follow, then what exactly are you getting with your high daily room rates?

A bed and the “convenience” of being on site.

CJR

Orlando is the crown jewel when it comes to people who move there with the specific motivation of going to the park daily. They would live in their cars rather than give up the AP.

At least the people in LA have jobs.

I don't believe there's a lot of factual data on that, that's more of an educated guess. Most of the people who move to Florida to be close to Walt Disney World, from what I can see, work at Walt Disney World, or at least did when they moved to Florida. Cast members are not AP holders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom