News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If people commenting on rumors need to get a hobby, what about people commenting on people commenting on rumors?

They need to get back to planning their vacations.

SuKM1zz.jpg

Figment4President

I wouldn't be surprised to see this. Typically, hotel chains have a fee for "resort" locations. Typically, they claim the "resort" fee includes things like wifi, beach chairs, etc.. While it is not an official WDW resort, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolfin have a resort fee - however - they do waive it for Platinum SPG members.

Bocabear

I wouldn't be surprised to see this. Typically, hotel chains have a fee for "resort" locations. Typically, they claim the "resort" fee includes things like wifi, beach chairs, etc.. While it is not an official WDW resort, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolfin have a resort fee - however - they do waive it for Platinum SPG members.
they also give you a couple bottles of water per day... and I often find that The Dolphin is less expensive than the CBR...even with the resort fee...(which we always have waived)...Nicer quality room amenities and better location too.

bhg469

they also give you a couple bottles of water per day... and I often find that The Dolphin is less expensive than the CBR...even with the resort fee...(which we always have waived)...Nicer quality room amenities and better location too.
Last time I was at the CBR I spent more time resort hopping to get away from there. Now CBR is out of my price range but the swan and dolphin are more attainable... Nice job disney!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
DOOM! DISASTER! Seriously, yet again it's a rumour and people already start frothing at the mouth.

Some people need a hobby.

Sorry, I don't pander to pixie dusters. Given TDO/TWDC's history with up-charges and wanting every last penny from the walking ATM's (aka. Guests), this "rumor" seems much more realistic and likely. And since that will impact me and my family, even though we are DVC members but do sometimes pay cash for a room, I will not be silent on this. Deal with it.

DougK

How do you get the resort fee waived at the Dolphin?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, I don't pander to pixie dusters. Given TDO/TWDC's history with up-charges and wanting every last penny from the walking ATM's (aka. Guests), this "rumor" seems much more realistic and likely. And since that will impact me and my family, even though we are DVC members but do sometimes pay cash for a room, I will not be silent on this. Deal with it.

And I'm equally sure DVC members will be subject to this fee even though we ALREADY pay all facets of resort operation through our MF's. Disney will do this because they can and because in the contract we agreed to individual arbitration.

But this should be a big enough violation to allow the courts to waive the arbitration clause

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And I'm equally sure DVC members will be subject to this fee even though we ALREADY pay all facets of resort operation through our MF's. Disney will do this because they can and because in the contract we agreed to individual arbitration.

But this should be a big enough violation to allow the courts to waive the arbitration clause

If that does happen, I guess we'll find out just how much clout DVC members have. I don't think it's to the level that California AP holders had/have, but it'll be interesting to see. I would hope that our clout is significant, seeing as how we've each shelled out thousands to tens of thousands of dollars to TWDC for our respective DVC interests. I know that DVC word-of-mouth can be a powerful tool, so Disney can either benefit from that or fear it, it's their choice.

danniyell

If that does happen, I guess we'll find out just how much clout DVC members have. I don't think it's to the level that California AP holders had/have, but it'll be interesting to see. I would hope that our clout is significant, seeing as how we've each shelled out thousands to tens of thousands of dollars to TWDC for our respective DVC interests. I know that DVC word-of-mouth can be a powerful tool, so Disney can either benefit from that or fear it, it's their choice.
I most definitely will not stand and be quiet about this - I will kick up a fuss because $30 a day is quite frankly ridiculous for every overnight stay for guests that are staying at their Home resorts!
Especially so as an overseas DVC member that pays £600 for a return flight, annual dues for 250 points every year- I am afraid 21 nights stay would be an extra $630 dollars which works out around 1/2 the cost of my dues....and tip me over the edge. Yes it is my choice to be a DVC member in the U.K. To which I always pay for my flights but that's just silly when we pay annual dues for the up keep of those car parks. Yes charge off resort guests but not those that already pay towards the upkeep of the resort. I've been disgusted in the past few years by hearing how many people park on the monorail resorts to just waive the car parking fees that are not DVC members and not staying at those on site - just chance it and if it works saves $20 a day. All being said I've stayed in those non Disney hotels at Disney Springs area and paid the resort fees - so I'm not having a moan about that.
I just feel that a DVC members shouldn't have to pay more.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I don't think Disney cares about us DVC members much at all, Have not heard from my guide in 2 years and I suspect I no longer have one.

BigRedDad

From the earnings report, Disney needs to generate more revenue/profit by any means necessary. That means continued price hikes on resorts, tickets, and removal of other benefits. Parking is an extremely easy one to tack on. It is relatively inexpensive to implement, they have the guards at the entrance of each resort already, and it will be a cash cow. Even if only 10% of the rooms have cars @ $30 per day, that comes out to $32M in free revenue. The number is much greater than that though. The next thing will be charging for internet. Since everyone is reliant on it for the app, charging $10 a day for internet access will be a cash cow. But I can use my 4G signal? Not if they make the app only accessible through wifi. Rough estimate that 25% of the people will require access to the app and $10 for each, this comes out to $135M in cheap revenue. It is a current free benefit that they can easily charge. Next, they can attack FP+. By having this as an addon like Memory Maker, they can make a killing. It is currently free, but what happens when they charge $5 for each FP? That's $15 per person per day comes to $660M a year. Those 3 changes alone come out to almost $850M a year with very little cost to implement.

contrariwise

From the earnings report, Disney needs to generate more revenue/profit by any means necessary. That means continued price hikes on resorts, tickets, and removal of other benefits. Parking is an extremely easy one to tack on. It is relatively inexpensive to implement, they have the guards at the entrance of each resort already, and it will be a cash cow. Even if only 10% of the rooms have cars @ $30 per day, that comes out to $32M in free revenue. The number is much greater than that though. The next thing will be charging for internet. Since everyone is reliant on it for the app, charging $10 a day for internet access will be a cash cow. But I can use my 4G signal? Not if they make the app only accessible through wifi. Rough estimate that 25% of the people will require access to the app and $10 for each, this comes out to $135M in cheap revenue. It is a current free benefit that they can easily charge. Next, they can attack FP+. By having this as an addon like Memory Maker, they can make a killing. It is currently free, but what happens when they charge $5 for each FP? That's $15 per person per day comes to $660M a year. Those 3 changes alone come out to almost $850M a year with very little cost to implement.
When you put it that way, I'm surprised they haven't already done it. :in pain:

Rodan75

I think that is where the analysts come in, as much as I normally hate them, they are already pointing out that Occupancy and Attendance is down at WDW and are clearly blaming price increases. If Disney gets too aggressive that will be detrimental to Occupancy and Attendance which needs to grow over the next 2 years before SWL opens.

My bet is that Parking fees hit Poly, GF, Contemporary, and WL for non-DVC stays and maybe Boardwalk. And that the other hotels with ample parking are left alone until SWL opens.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see paid incremental FP+ by the day SWL opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom