News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

SorcererMC

I asked my TA about it too. She hasn't heard anything.
She usually knows when something is about to increase. I don't know if you guys have inside connections or receive a heads up..but I'm taking it as a good sign if TA's haven't been informed of this.

Yes - The resort fee issue gets regular attention in the travel industry since it impacts both business and leisure travel; nearly every major travel site (and some major news sites) have had articles about it in the past month....it won't go unnoticed if Disney implements it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Under this regime I think that car rentals on-property are an endangered species and UBER and Lyft will probably be barred from property as a 'safety' measure.
Any reliable stats on how many Disney CMs are driving Uber and Lyft in the off-shift hours?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Remember - Disney is "the leader" in the Orlando area. They charge more for admission, and then others follow, not the other way around. So if Universal charges $12-20/day for parking, Disney isn't going to follow, they are going to lead - $30/day for parking. (*DI$ mic drop*)

They've wanted people basically captive on-property for years, ever since they introduced Magical Express. That will remain "free", though, it will just be part of the TBA resort fee, under "Complimentary Disney Transportation". And let's be honest, any costs associated with it were always baked into your room price. Just don't expect room rates to drop much when they implement the resort fee. And I could easily see Disney banning Uber and Lyft, essentially, by not allowing them thru the security gates, both at the parks and at the resorts. I'm not saying they for certain will, I'm just saying I can see them doing it. Why? Because...

This no longer my father's Disney, it is not the Disney of my childhood/20's/30's, and it sure as hell isn't Walt Disney's Disney. It's now just a bunch of cutthroat MBA's completely beholden to Wall Street analysts and large shareholders who view guests as nothing more than walking ATM's, and their goal is to extract as much money from those ATM's as they can. If they can make more money by banning ride-sharing services, they will do it. And a captive audience is a money-making audience. If you can't go off-site, then all your money has to be spent on-property. It's all about the brand, now, remember? It's no longer THE Walt Disney World Resort, it's Walt Disney World Resort. It's not THE Magic Kingdom, it's Magic Kingdom Park. And I, for one, HATE that, it makes me vomit in my mouth a little every time I see or hear it.

Now, that being said... Resort fees? Count on them, eventually, as sure as the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. People can look at this thru Disney-colored MAGICAL!!! glasses or look at this thru the view from reality. But either way, they are going to happen, it's only a matter of when. It's a multi-multi-million dollar annual revenue stream with minimal expenditures required, and TWDC & TDO have shown an unending desire for those types of things. End of story.

Edit: Fixed some spelling mistakes.
Every day it reminds me more and more of Roller Coaster Tycoon... "Guests are commenting that your admission price is very low. Perhaps you should check your gate and consider increasing admission prices."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That brings up a good point. Existing properties would have a difficult time adding resort fees to new contracts. I'd be ****ed as hell if an additional 100 points added to my existing ownership at Poly resulted in a $30 night resort fee when I stay at my home resort. But I could see Disney potentially charging me a fee when staying at a non-home resort. But what about those of us who are owners at Boulder Ridge? If Disney decides to add a resort fee to the new Copper Creek resort and charge such a fee to everyone but those with a leasehold, they absolutely must exempt owners at Boulder Ridge since we're already paying for the common areas - fitness center, pool, lobby, etc.

Just considering if/how to treat DVC members at DVC resorts will be an administrative nightmare for DVC. And since that appears to be where TWDC is adding occupancy, why **** off that lucrative market? And cash guests? It's not going to be win-win for Disney. Imagine people clamoring to stay at CR for the 50th - especially those who were there in 1971. And 50 years later you decide to tack on a resort fee for things that used to be included in your room rate. :banghead:
It all depends on how they structure things. They legally cannot charge DVC members twice for the same things so anything that is already covered by maintenance fees cannot be used to "justify" a resort fee. Parking is another thing that could be a grey area. If the lots at the DVC resorts are maintained using the capital reserve budget for that resort than I don't think they can charge a parking fee on top of that. I don't think it matters if it's a new resort or existing property, the same timeshare laws would apply.

What they could do is remove the parking lot from the maintenance fees and then charge a parking fee. That would essentially make it something like a restaurant or lounge that is a profit center for the resort that is operated independently from the timeshare. As far as the resort fee they would need to be careful to craft up a list of amenities that are not currently covered by maintenance fees. They cannot use things like park transportation, WIFI or other current resort amenities as an excuse since owners are already paying for that stuff.

Biff215

It all depends on how they structure things. They legally cannot charge DVC members twice for the same things so anything that is already covered by maintenance fees cannot be used to "justify" a resort fee. Parking is another thing that could be a grey area. If the lots at the DVC resorts are maintained using the capital reserve budget for that resort than I don't think they can charge a parking fee on top of that. I don't think it matters if it's a new resort or existing property, the same timeshare laws would apply.

What they could do is remove the parking lot from the maintenance fees and then charge a parking fee. That would essentially make it something like a restaurant or lounge that is a profit center for the resort that is operated independently from the timeshare. As far as the resort fee they would need to be careful to craft up a list of amenities that are not currently covered by maintenance fees. They cannot use things like park transportation, WIFI or other current resort amenities as an excuse since owners are already paying for that stuff.
Well said. If a resort and/or parking fee is instituted, I highly doubt it would apply to DVC members staying on points. Sure it complicates things, but it's far better than dealing with the legal issues you mentioned. This will also allow DVC to market this as something that's included in membership, and may ultimately be creatively worked into our dues, who knows. I don't want to see fees for anyone, but it would make me a happy DVC owner if I got to avoid them should they come along.

Cosmic Commando

Every day it reminds me more and more of Roller Coaster Tycoon... "Guests are commenting that your admission price is very low. Perhaps you should check your gate and consider increasing admission prices."
I always used to make the umbrellas crazy expensive when it rained, and everyone would still buy them. I guess this is how the universe pays me back...

I am Timmy

I think it's the price combined with the hassle. If WDW was truly an awesome experience that it was in years past, I don't think the money would be as much of an issue. More people would end their vacations intending to return....someday.
Agreed. We're the only family we know that is a "Disney" family. In fact, many friends and coworkers have looked into Disney vacations and have been scared off - literally. They've commented on everything from price, amount of pre-planning, sheer magnitude of information, and the number of MONTHS you have to know where you'll be, and when, ahead of time. These things seem to terrify the normies, and I admit it can be daunting. How many of us don't get anxious over the planning? And most people are expecting the "perfect" trip for that level of planning and money. Are they getting it?

SorcererMC

and the number of MONTHS you have to know where you'll be, and when, ahead of time.
True that, however it might be REALLY short notice. Marie

Most families probably plan at least 6 months out, and the resort fee disclosure is supposed to occur prior to final booking. So that could be a real problem (a potential lawsuit), with families who have already booked their trip and then getting hit with added fees.

matt9112

We're already paying for upkeep through our annual dues. You want us to now pay for parking at a resort we hold a lease title in? BTW, we're not "locked into the sale" - we can sell our interest at any time. There's quite an active third party market for DVC resales.

*shakes head*

A third party market disney could close down any moment since they reserve the right to buy first. Hardly an argument. I'm not saying you SHOULD im saying disney is the kind of company lately that wouldn't care if you had too. Revenue is revenue and at the world you guys are the biggest piggy banks.

ryguy

Resort fees increased in Orlando December 2015-June 2016 17%. What's the point of the FTC if they don't go after garbage like this.

lazyboy97o

Most families probably plan at least 6 months out, and the resort fee disclosure is supposed to occur prior to final booking. So that could be a real problem (a potential lawsuit), with families who have already booked their trip and then getting hit with added fees.
Even with short notice, it would just be on all new bookings after the start date. Just as is the case when room rates increase or ticket prices increase or anything else has a price increase.

Bandini

However, I would imagine Disney has something in their fine print saying that additional fees may be applied at any time, prior to resort arrival.

Laketravis

Resort fees increased in Orlando December 2015-June 2016 17%.....

As far as I know Rosen properties still don't charge resort fees, not even the upper tier like Shingle Creek. Those who know the backstory on Harris Rosen would understand if WDW were to implement these types of charges, Rosen would have a field day with it.

mikenatcity1

I sure hope this isn't the case. A $30 fee would be almost double what i've paid at DL hotels (both on property and good neighbor). From what I remember, I paid $17/night for staying at the Grand Californian in the fall 2015. When I stayed there on my DVC points, it was free. If I had to pay while using points, I would think twice about staying at WDW. And a little tidbit- in my work travels to suburbs of Chicago and the state of Delaware (along with my home in Columbus), i've never once had to pay for parking (and my company puts us up in nicer hotels).

Prince Thomas

Oh, the horror of it all. I just hate having to pay money for things on my luxury vacation. Seriously, I could have sworn that Disney already charged resort fees.

I don't see the big deal and the other resorts do this for a reason. So, why not Disney?
Some families arent as privileged as you apparently. Its going to hurt pockets that may already be kinda empty from the trip itself. I dont wanna see that happen.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can see Disney charging resort fees to DVC members, IANAL but since DVC members as part of their contract submit to binding individual arbitration so it would be difficult to hold DIsney's feet to the fire so to speak.

And now with Iger extending his contract expect more revenue enhancing addon's to keep the stock buyback fund flush with cash but expect little investment for the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom