News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

RobbinsDad

I think that is where the analysts come in, as much as I normally hate them, they are already pointing out that Occupancy and Attendance is down at WDW and are clearly blaming price increases. If Disney gets too aggressive that will be detrimental to Occupancy and Attendance which needs to grow over the next 2 years before SWL opens.

My bet is that Parking fees hit Poly, GF, Contemporary, and WL for non-DVC stays and maybe Boardwalk. And that the other hotels with ample parking are left alone until SWL opens.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see paid incremental FP+ by the day SWL opens.
I think if they eventually monetize FP+ it will be using the same system as tiered fastpass. No one is paying to watch Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but they certainly will for the Star Wars battle ride.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think that is where the analysts come in, as much as I normally hate them, they are already pointing out that Occupancy and Attendance is down at WDW and are clearly blaming price increases. If Disney gets too aggressive that will be detrimental to Occupancy and Attendance which needs to grow over the next 2 years before SWL opens.
That's not the context in which this was discussed. Lower attendance is actually a good thing if the price increase is a greater percentage. It allows for a reduction in operating costs. You'd rather have $200 per day from 25 guests than $100 per day from 50 guests. The revenue is the same but it's a lot cheaper to serve the 25 guests.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That's not the context in which this was discussed. Lower attendance is actually a good thing if the price increase is a greater percentage. It allows for a reduction in operating costs. You'd rather have $200 per day from 25 guests than $100 per day from 50 guests. The revenue is the same but it's a lot cheaper to serve the 25 guests.

It also helps drive out those pheasants who shouldn't be at Disney anyway. Only wealthy people should afford to visit Disney more than once in their lifetime. :angelic:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It also helps drive out those pheasants who shouldn't be at Disney anyway. Only wealthy people should afford to visit Disney more than once in their lifetime. :angelic:
Yes, wealthy people can afford more than poor people. They can buy more vacations, cars, houses, jewelry, and iPads. What's your point?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

My bet is that Parking fees hit Poly, GF, Contemporary, and WL for non-DVC stays and maybe Boardwalk. And that the other hotels with ample parking are left alone until SWL opens.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see paid incremental FP+ by the day SWL opens.

I thought they just reported hotel occupancy was around 91%? That doesn't sound like an occupancy problem to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And I'm equally sure DVC members will be subject to this fee even though we ALREADY pay all facets of resort operation through our MF's. Disney will do this because they can and because in the contract we agreed to individual arbitration.

But this should be a big enough violation to allow the courts to waive the arbitration clause
Disney is about as passive aggressive as possible for a large corporation. They go to painful extents to avoid direct conflict with guests. There is no way they want open conflict, especially with DVC members.
Would some MFs be lowered since the resort fee overlaps with it?
Maybe this could happen, but my guess is that the resorts that are joint DVC/hotel get a better benefit from offsetting shared costs by having DVC members pay a portion of their costs than they would get from resort fees. In other words it makes no sense for Disney financially.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wealthy has nothing to do with it. A poor sucker with a credit card can (and often will) run up a bigger bill than a wealthy guest. They just want people who are willing to pay for all these extras. Whether they can actually afford it is not a concern to the execs calling the shots.

bhg469

I thought they just reported hotel occupancy was around 91%? That doesn't sound like an occupancy problem to me.
Did they have a lot of rooms "under construction"? they play with those numbers to make occupancy seem higher. Its hard to tell what are the real numbers. They have them for sure but to report a number lower than 80% would sound quite an alarm.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Wealthy has nothing to do with it. A poor sucker with a credit card can (and often will) run up a bigger bill than a wealthy guest. They just want people who are willing to pay for all these extras. Whether they can actually afford it is not a concern to the execs calling the shots.

/sarcasm :)

bhg469

I have been saying this for years. Disney has priced me out of visiting for a full vacation but I know plenty of people that will just throw the trip on a credit card weather they can pay it off or not. It has been going on a long time where people will just find a way to go when they definitely shouldn't

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney is about as passive aggressive as possible for a large corporation. They go to painful extents to avoid direct conflict with guests. There is no way they want open conflict, especially with DVC members.

Maybe this could happen, but my guess is that the resorts that are joint DVC/hotel get a better benefit from offsetting shared costs by having DVC members pay a portion of their costs than they would get from resort fees. In other words it makes no sense for Disney financially.

Agree that WDW is passive aggressive but I think the toxic brew of desperation borne of ESPNs struggles and WDWS arrogance that the guests will always come will lead to something stupid like levyying fees against DVC owners

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the idea DVC reservations would have to pay a resort fee is just fearmongering. It doesn't make any sense. If Disney wanted to get that money, they'd just raise their management fees or costs to DVC and get it from everyone.

csmat99

I think the idea DVC reservations would have to pay a resort fee is just fearmongering. It doesn't make any sense. If Disney wanted to get that money, they'd just raise their management fees or costs to DVC and get it from everyone.
No you aren't correct. By florida law they have to justify the dues they charge each year. Why you get a breakdown in what everything costs. Be it a roof being replaced. To new linens to housekeeping costs. They can't just tack on an extra million because they feel like it. But I'm sure they can get creative and find a way to charge DVC members a resort fee. They will say it's for the WIFI or something that isn't in the maintenance costs. Same way they starting charging DVC members for valet parking when they decided to outsource it because then it no longer fell under the home resort. It was just a direct cost past along to guest. haha

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No you aren't correct. By florida law they have to justify the dues they charge each year. Why you get a breakdown in what everything costs. Be it a roof being replaced. To new linens to housekeeping costs. They can't just tack on an extra million because they feel like it. But I'm sure they can get creative and find a way to charge DVC members a resort fee. They will say it's for the WIFI or something that isn't in the maintenance costs. Same way they starting charging DVC members for valet parking when they decided to outsource it because then it no longer fell under the home resort. It was just a direct cost past along to guest. haha
DVC members already pay for the WIFI and all the other resort amenities. They are covered by the MFs. If they wanted to add a resort fee they would have to justify it by adding something currently not offered or by saying it is for something like EMHs or FP+ which are not paid for by MFs. As @flynnibus said, if they really wanted to get more money from DVC owners they could ask for an increase in the management fee line item. It's easier to justify that than try to come up with justification for charging the resort fee.

Minthorne

If they added a fee as this is described it would have to be optional. They could not block an owner from using the room by requiring an additional fee. I could see DVC not getting Fastpass+ at 60 days, Extra Magic Hours and DME if they opted out of the fee.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No you aren't correct. By florida law they have to justify the dues they charge each year

Sure.. but Disney would simply charge DVC more for something. Do you really think you have a full accounting of why the Management Fee DVC pays Disney is what it is? Or why Disney charges X for transportation? Or how about utilities?

You're line of thinking is too blind to the reality that while the line item in the budget needs to be justified - the PRICE you pay for it really isn't. Is DVC out competitively bidding for contractors, utilities, professional services? No.. it's buying all those things from its parent.. who can make money while passing those through.

If parent wants to make more off of DVC - just increase a fee a few cents/unit and there you go.

Why you get a breakdown in what everything costs. Be it a roof being replaced. To new linens to housekeeping costs

You are just hearing the justifications for the summary items moving.. you aren't seeing the ledger.. nor are you able to breakdown the costs that someone is charging you. So you bought new linens.. did you know if those linens were bought on the open market or were they sourced through Disney who could charge their own margin on top? It these kinds of games that can be played at all levels... DVC is not an independent.

RobbinsDad

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything, but I can't imagine DVC owners having to pay resort fees. 3 reasons:

1. Isn't this what dues are for anyway? Resort upkeep and stuff?
2. There are enough guests staying on property at one time that charging DVC owners isn't adding that much to the pie.
3. There are plenty of non-DVC owners staying in DVC resorts that Disney could just charge them. If you buy points from a DVC owner, or book directly through Disney, you pay.

21stamps

Yes, wealthy people can afford more than poor people. They can buy more vacations, cars, houses, jewelry, and iPads. What's your point?
Stating facts is not welcome here. I've read one too many from you today, elitist.
Dial down on the common sense.

All of these fees are coming. WDW wants near empty parks only occupied by the top .05 percent of the country. I think that's what this thread is saying anyway..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom