News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
It's not who booked before Wednesday. It is how it affects things after Wednesday. It will take a while to actually sink in and take hold if anything is really going to sink in and take hold.

Correct. The only metric Disney is concerned with is how does this impact bookings (future occupancy levels). They probably expect to take a small hit for a very short period of time before things normalize. We can only speculate. Disney spends gazillions of dollars acquiring survey data. They must feel it will have little to no impact. I hope they're wrong on this one.

21stamps

European Union law insists that all fees are clearly outlined up-front in the advertised costs of things like hotel stays etc. Many UK travel companies still produce printed brochures and to ensure that they do not fall foul of the EU rules, they enter into contracts with Disney to lock-in the advertised prices. It is believed that as a result, Disney cannot then charge extra fees for parking at resorts within the contract period. Hence the situation where many UK guests will not have parking applied until the expiry date of existing contracts.

This part is confusing to me.. I understand the reason for the laws, and I’m not an expert on hospitality, but I’ve never heard of a hotel/resort waiving fees for European guests.

I acknowledge that they’re currently selling packages.. but why wouldn’t Disney just realease new packages to the UK or all EU countries? Is that not possible? Does Disney have a division specifically for the UK?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct. The only metric Disney is concerned with is how does this impact bookings (future occupancy levels). They probably expect to take a small hit for a very short period of time before things normalize. We can only speculate. Disney spends gazillions of dollars acquiring survey data. They must feel it will have little to no impact. I hope they're wrong on this one.

I'm not suggesting anything different...what I'm saying is that people gave more money before they were prepared too...which really didn't serve them all that much. Good day for bob though

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
European Union law insists that all fees are clearly outlined up-front in the advertised costs of things like hotel stays etc. Many UK travel companies still produce printed brochures and to ensure that they do not fall foul of the EU rules, they enter into contracts with Disney to lock-in the advertised prices. It is believed that as a result, Disney cannot then charge extra fees for parking at resorts within the contract period. Hence the situation where many UK guests will not have parking applied until the expiry date of existing contracts.

There was one country leaving the EU...I can't remember which one...🤔

Last edited:

asianway

This part is confusing to me.. I understand the reason for the laws, and I’m not an expert on hospitality, but I’ve never heard of a hotel/resort waiving fees for European guests.

I acknowledge that they’re currently selling packages.. but why wouldn’t Disney just realease new packages to the UK or all EU countries? Is that not possible? Does Disney have a division specifically for the UK?
Disneyland Paris always has to wait to make reductions until the offering period is up. They can't just pull this crap in a weeks time

DisneyFans4Life

I'm a DVC member and thus this current parking fee doesn't impact me one iota right now (as long as I don't pay cash for a room, which does happen from time to time). But it's not the "silly" parking fee. It's tacking on a parking fee on top of the already-overpriced resort rooms on top of the more-than-doubled 7-day park hopper tickets and annual passes over the past 12 years on top of upcharges on top of the now-ridiculous food prices on top of merchandise that has decreased in quality but increased in price, from a division that has made net profits in excess of $15 billion since 2010 while reinvesting a pittance of that in the theme parks over the same amount of time. That's called milking the cash cow. That affects me and so many others, and that's why it bothers me and so many others. If you don't understand or see that perspective, there's no point in continuing. Go have fun in the parks and happily pay whatever Disney charges. I still have fun, but I don't get to do it nearly as often as in years past because the rate of price increases has far outstripped the increase in our income.
Are price increases not expected? No one in their right mind should expect to pay the same prices as they did 30 years ago or even 10 years ago. It's not that I don't see the other perspective, because I see where others are coming from, but I don't personally have an issue with it. When I go to a theme park, or any entertainment venue, my expectation is to overpay for things. No one likes the analogy of sporting events or concerts because they're absolutely the right analogy. This is a Disney forum for Disney fans, but all anyone does on this forum is complain about what Disney is doing wrong and how they're greedy and just out for money grabs. You don't see forums dedicated to football, baseball or hockey games where a 12oz. beer is $15 or concerts where a t-shirt is $45, plus parking, plus fees, etc. No one complains that ticket prices for those things have increased over the years, yet the music isn't any different, songs aren't any longer. Are the rooms overpriced? Sure...but that's not exclusive to Disney. Every resort in Orlando is overpriced. Why? Because they can. Orlando is a tourist city, so one should expect to pay more. We've seen a Fantasyland expansion, the opening of Pandora, and the soon to be opening of Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land....and oh by the way a completely new park in a new country. Pardon Disney for not making every inch of their parks perfect. Disney is our family's hobby. We don't do other events because our choice is Disney. We also live an hour away and go very frequently. We also have a friend who is a CM, so we get a discount for our hotel, but that discount doesn't help with the dining plan, parking or merchandise. We pay that ourselves and fortunately get a discount for being APs. We're just finishing up a 10 day vacation at Port Orleans and I'm already planning next year's vacation. I know what I paid for this trip and what I'll need for next year's, so it's just a matter of saving money each month so that we have enough. If that means cooking one more dinner at home versus going out to eat, then so be it. I by no means make a ton of money and I'm not that guy who rolls up to Polynesian to have my Benz valet'd. I simply budget throughout the year for my family of 4 so that we can enjoy a Disney vacation, and everything that comes with it.

Goofyernmost

...why? If I might ask?
It is very involved, but, just suffice it to say that when people lose money, if the economy falters because other investing people from other nations have lost confidence that we are still a stable and good place to invest a whole lot of the economy slows down and that is the only part of trickle down economics that actually will trickle down. If you are worried about financial security the last thing anyone will do is throw money away on something as unnecessary as a theme park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is very involved, but, just suffice it to say that when people lose money, if the economy falters because other investing people from other nations have lost confidence that we are still a stable and good place to invest a whole lot of the economy slows down and that is the only part of trickle down economics that actually will trickle down. If you are worried about financial security the last thing anyone will do is throw money away on something as unnecessary as a theme park. We are not immune from economic downturn just because some reflective orange guy says he knows what he is doing. We've heard the chicken in every pot promise before.
Lol...no I got all of that...I've had plenty of economics...

I'm more asking "why worry"?

I was just working in New York today...and found it refreshing that most haven't lost their sense of reality - they know what's gonna happen...it was never in doubt.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are price increases not expected? No one in their right mind should expect to pay the same prices as they did 30 years ago or even 10 years ago. It's not that I don't see the other perspective, because I see where others are coming from, but I don't personally have an issue with it. When I go to a theme park, or any entertainment venue, my expectation is to overpay for things. No one likes the analogy of sporting events or concerts because they're absolutely the right analogy. This is a Disney forum for Disney fans, but all anyone does on this forum is complain about what Disney is doing wrong and how they're greedy and just out for money grabs. You don't see forums dedicated to football, baseball or hockey games where a 12oz. beer is $15 or concerts where a t-shirt is $45, plus parking, plus fees, etc. No one complains that ticket prices for those things have increased over the years, yet the music isn't any different, songs aren't any longer. Are the rooms overpriced? Sure...but that's not exclusive to Disney. Every resort in Orlando is overpriced. Why? Because they can. Orlando is a tourist city, so one should expect to pay more. We've seen a Fantasyland expansion, the opening of Pandora, and the soon to be opening of Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land....and oh by the way a completely new park in a new country. Pardon Disney for not making every inch of their parks perfect. Disney is our family's hobby. We don't do other events because our choice is Disney. We also live an hour away and go very frequently. We also have a friend who is a CM, so we get a discount for our hotel, but that discount doesn't help with the dining plan, parking or merchandise. We pay that ourselves and fortunately get a discount for being APs. We're just finishing up a 10 day vacation at Port Orleans and I'm already planning next year's vacation. I know what I paid for this trip and what I'll need for next year's, so it's just a matter of saving money each month so that we have enough. If that means cooking one more dinner at home versus going out to eat, then so be it. I by no means make a ton of money and I'm not that guy who rolls up to Polynesian to have my Benz valet'd. I simply budget throughout the year for my family of 4 so that we can enjoy a Disney vacation, and everything that comes with it.

It's not the increase...it's in the percentage. Having things increase 125% (easily the average) in price in 15 years - including during the largest recession in modern times - is neither appropriate nor sustainable. It's bad for both sides.

Lyman

1521863192212.png1521863230846.png
1521863192212.png
1521863192212.png

1521863230846.png
1521863230846.png

Micky says "I'm glad you are paying there fees but must be
1521863655350.png

USofA scott

It's not the increase...it's in the percentage. Having things increase 125% (easily the average) in price in 15 years - including during the largest recession in modern times - is neither appropriate nor sustainable. It's bad for both sides.

I am not sure what tickets you are looking at, but my annual pass in 2003 would be 455.00 and here we are 15 years later and I paid 569 That is a 25.05% increase in 15 years.
All Stars Value season was 49.00 in 2003 plus tax. Same room last month was 84.00 (Feb 6-8 preferred view) that is a whopping 71.4% increase. Even if I had a parking fee then, it would have been 97 and 97% increase
The DVC points were 89.00 per point at Boulder Ridge in 2003. Today they are 165 that is 85.39% increase.
We can look at dues 4.05 for Boulder Ridge in 2003 and today they are 6.5448 (61.6% increase over 15 years)

Let's not exaggerate or make up facts. (source for historical prices are DVCinfo and All Ears dot Net) Facts not opinions!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not sure what tickets you are looking at, but my annual pass in 2003 would be 455.00 and here we are 15 years later and I paid 569 That is a 25.05% increase in 15 years.
All Stars Value season was 49.00 in 2003 plus tax. Same room last month was 84.00 (Feb 6-8 preferred view) that is a whopping 71.4% increase. Even if I had a parking fee then, it would have been 97 and 97% increase
The DVC points were 89.00 per point at Boulder Ridge in 2003. Today they are 165 that is 85.39% increase.
We can look at dues 4.05 for Boulder Ridge in 2003 and today they are 6.5448 (61.6% increase over 15 years)

Let's not exaggerate or make up facts. (source for historical prices are DVCinfo and All Ears dot Net) Facts not opinions!

Day tickets went from $52 to $119...buffets went from $16.99 to $39...wilderness lodge went from $119 to 355 base rate.

And the cheapest all star rack rate is $108 for 2018...but you were right about the $49

Grand floridian went from $329 to ONLY $646...so that's like only 90%...whatta deal.

I have property wide prices from 2003 ingrained in my memory banks - I worked in revenue control for a stint.

So let's not....be patronizing. Cause the facts are something diffeeent.

You have to compare base/rack pricing...you can't do discounts or promos because they are inconsistent. You can't count on discounts...they are not guaranteed. You have to use the established starting points. It's the only valid was to analyze.

Here's another fact...after the housing crash, when everyone was being coupon crazied with all the "free food"...they bumped the standard rates steadily to whallop you on the other side. Indeed menu and dining plan prices are double what they were circa 2007...

The promotions ended...the regular prices never do.

I gave the example the other day: they advertised a promo in 2010 for a week at value with tickets for 4 for $1600...the "discount" this week was $2134 for 4 days at all star (note: pop has already been quietly phased out of that lowly tier)...so my rough math gets us to 100% or more increase on a discount.

Sorry...the numbers are what they are.

And ya cherry picked the annual pass argument too...where'd you get that $569 price? Sounds a lot like the dvc promo that's on s $769 regular price that won't be there next year...

Comparing grapes to grapefruits

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I'm not making up numbers, I'm using AllEars. A regular AP in 2003 was $369. A Platinum AP today is $869. You can do the math. If you want to compare an AP in 2003 with a Silver AP today, you aren't comparing apples to apples and your argument and math are invalid.

Boulder Ridge pricing is now $171/point thru Disney. But that's "old inventory". Copper Creek is $182/point. Poly is $220/point.

I've already priced out a room at All Star Music in "value" times later this year (early September and early November), and they are a minimum of $120/night. No special pricing or deals or promos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom