News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

DisAl

I sent an email too. So far have only received the automated response and will be surprised if I get anything else.
One thing we are missing here is that the people who make these decisions are making millions of dollars a year already, and if they meet financial goals they will be paid millions MORE. If they can pocket an extra few million by charging for parking they are going to do it.
They simply do not care about those of us who have to save up for 2 years to take the grandkids to WDW.
I fully expect my letter to have all the impact of a porpoise passing gas in a category 5 hurricane, but at least I sent it.
I got a reply back from Disney. From their comments on several subjects they actually did read the letter. The CM was courteous in the way he replied, but the bottom line is that my porpoise might as well take some Gas-X.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I got a reply back from Disney. From their comments on several subjects they actually did read the letter. The CM was courteous in the way he replied, but the bottom line is that my porpoise might as well take some Gas-X.

It's been a week...and the lazy wdw clientele doth not spoken...as expected.

And I bet many hurried up and booked by Wednesday to "avoid the fee"

Death, taxes, and stupidity

DisneyFans4Life

I think you ticked every "Pixie duster" checkbox there is with these posts...
Pixie Duster, fan of Disney, someone who enjoys going to the parks with my kids, someone who isn't going to let a silly parking fee keep me away...sure...all of the above.

Sorry if I don't get all bent out of shape over something so minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

HauntedMansionFLA

It's been a week...and the lazy wdw clientele doth not spoken...as expected.

And I bet many hurried up and booked by Wednesday to "avoid the fee"

Death, taxes, and stupidity
Disney is just like any other business. Just seeing how far they can push the limits with the parking fees. You are right, most booked before the deadline. Next, there will be a deadline for the “free” Magical Express Transportation People will book for its a fee. Deadline for paying for Fast Pass. People book before the deadline. Deadline for Extra Magical Hours. People book before the deadline. Price hikes before Gondolas. People book before the deadline. Price hikes before Star Wars Land. People book before the deadline.
It becomes a pattern.

wannabeBelle

Which just puts off the inevitable. If people are so bothered by the parking fees, they may continue with an onsite trip they already had booked before the fees took effect but next year will be a different story. Same with any other fees or charges that may come about. 2018 may not be the downturn, but 2019 could be a very different story. Marie

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wonder how discretionary this fee will be. Do the front desk staff or managers have the authority to waive it, or a part of it? I'm not advocating fabricating things for the sole purpose of gaming the system, but if there is an issue....

As an example, one year I stayed at Swan while the Gartner Conference was going on. The Swan lot was so crowded, the majority of the time I had to park at the Dolphin lot (which was recommended by the Swan) and lug a double stroller through the Dolphin, down the elevators, around the lake, and ultimately to the Swan almost every night. When checking out, I mentioned the hassle, and without hesitation the entire parking fee was waived.

Another time was at Hilton Bonnet Creek during a medical conference. The pool was so over-crowded it was ridiculous (due to not only overnight attendees - I found out while talking to some - that about 25% were day attendees along with their families who were not even staying there). Couldn't have eaten in the restaurant if I wanted to. Mentioned to the front desk that I felt the resort fee was unwarranted due to the situation. - Immediately waived.

Again not looking to game the system. If a resort charges fees, I'll pay the fees. But if there are situations like these that happen I hope Disney has some sort of flexibility other than "contact guest services when you get home"
That's a good point. I don't think it'll affect me personally, but if I was paying $24 per night to park, and I couldn't find a parking spot relatively convenient to my resort, I'd be livid.

Bartledvd

while i have read alot of the pages not seen if it has been posted but this will not apply to uk bookings untill 2020 at least . Email below is a friend of my wifes. 269FE70E-18CA-4933-A1A1-60792579B621.jpeg

jimbaker84

Pixie Duster, fan of Disney, someone who enjoys going to the parks with my kids, someone who isn't going to let a silly parking fee keep me away...sure...all of the above.

Sorry if I don't get all bent out of shape over something so minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

The problem is however that the parking fee is just the latest in a series of price increases and may be the straw which breaks the camel's back for many would be guests (especially those who drive in order to save money on air fares).

I think it's also the fact that we are now expected to pay for something that had always been considered to be part of the standard room rate. We aren't getting anything additional for the extra $13/$19/$24 than we did before. Also, why charge differing amounts for parking based on resort classification, is it simply because they think they'll get away with it for those guests naturally paying more for their hotel stay?

For me personally, the parking fee alone won't put me off visiting when i'm next in Florida, however this may change if the cumulative effect of more previously free add ons reaches a certain point.

Last edited:

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Which just puts off the inevitable. If people are so bothered by the parking fees, they may continue with an onsite trip they already had booked before the fees took effect but next year will be a different story. Same with any other fees or charges that may come about. 2018 may not be the downturn, but 2019 could be a very different story. Marie

This is what we are doing. We are keeping the trip we have booked for September and the next time we go to Orlando we will stay off site and most likely visit Universal and Sea World instead of just spending our 2 weeks on Disney property.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I'm a DVC member and thus this current parking fee doesn't impact me one iota right now (as long as I don't pay cash for a room, which does happen from time to time). But it's not the "silly" parking fee. It's tacking on a parking fee on top of the already-overpriced resort rooms on top of the more-than-doubled 7-day park hopper tickets and annual passes over the past 12 years on top of upcharges on top of the now-ridiculous food prices on top of merchandise that has decreased in quality but increased in price, from a division that has made net profits in excess of $15 billion since 2010 while reinvesting a pittance of that in the theme parks over the same amount of time. That's called milking the cash cow. That affects me and so many others, and that's why it bothers me and so many others. If you don't understand or see that perspective, there's no point in continuing. Go have fun in the parks and happily pay whatever Disney charges. I still have fun, but I don't get to do it nearly as often as in years past because the rate of price increases has far outstripped the increase in our income.

LSLS

The problem is however that the parking fee is just the latest in a series of price increases and may be the straw which breaks the camel's back for many would be guests (especially those who drive in order to save money on air fares).

I think it's also the fact that we are now expected to pay for something that had always been considered to be part of the standard room rate. We aren't getting anything additional for the extra $13/$19/$24 than we did before. Also, why charge differing amounts for parking based on resort classification, is it simply because they think they'll get away with it for those guests naturally paying more for their hotel stay?

For me personally, the parking fee alone won't put me off visiting when i'm next in Florida, however this may change if the cumulative effect of more previously free add ons reaches a certain point.

Also need to factor in that rates went up 3-5% this year. You are talking about around a 10-15% increase in hotel costs from just last year. Can't really call it minute at that point. I'm not sure it keeps me from visiting the parks permanently (though man taking cruises are becoming an addicting alternative), but it absolutely has pushed me off site (be it Disney Springs or elsewhere). And offsite means I will visit the parks at least 2-3 days less than I otherwise would.

jsand99

Well I just returned the call to the lady who has been trying to call me. She definitely had her script and talking points ready and defended Disney to the point that it seemed she would give her life for it. She gave me the "align with industry standards and the majority of Orlando hotels charge for parking" speech. I asked why Disney was wanting to align themselves with other resorts instead of being the industry leader that every other resort, theme park, etc wants to be. She said "oh we are the industry leader! You can't go anywhere else and get the experience you get at Disney! You get so much staying at a Disney resort you can't get anywhere else like emh, fp+, transportation." I said well you can get a nicer room at a Disney Springs hotel for less than the cost of a Disney value resort and get all the benefits. Her response was basically you can't see a giant buzz lightyear and be immersed in the magic at the Holiday Inn. She also said parking fees were never included in room price and parking lots need maintenance. She also said that they were working on a new experience at the resorts where cast members will give guests a personal welcome experience. That's the first I've heard of that. She also talked about how no other company cares about their guests as much as Disney and wants everyone to have a magical experience! She said she knows personally how much Bob, Bob, and George care about us! I mentioned that a lot of "guests" recent experiences haven't been very magical. She said that I shouldn't go by what others say but go and judge for myself. I then asked if she didn't think that all the negative publicity that Disney was getting over this would have any sort of affect. She didn't seem to care about that and brushed it off as just a few people complaining on social media. I also asked if anyone had given any thought to how the parking fee would affect the already overcrowded and unreliable bus system. She said she couldn't comment on that beyond hypotheticals but on busy park days the buses will be busy. Also they make every effort to make sure the buses are running as timely and efficiently as possible. She also told me that guest should call when they have bad experiences with the buses and also talk to a manager about it. I told her most people on vacation don't want and shouldn't have to go through that trouble. I finished by telling her many feel that Disney is losing it's value. You no longer get what you are paying for at Disney. She said she doesn't believe that and started talking about all the new lands and rides again. It could have easily been a huge argument if I would have been just a little more aggressive. I was surprised at how intense she was in her defense of Disney. Now doesn't that make everyone feel better???

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm a DVC member and thus this current parking fee doesn't impact me one iota right now (as long as I don't pay cash for a room, which does happen from time to time). But it's not the "silly" parking fee. It's tacking on a parking fee on top of the already-overpriced resort rooms on top of the more-than-doubled 7-day park hopper tickets and annual passes over the past 12 years on top of upcharges on top of the now-ridiculous food prices on top of merchandise that has decreased in quality but increased in price, from a division that has made net profits in excess of $15 billion since 2010 while reinvesting a pittance of that in the theme parks over the same amount of time. That's called milking the cash cow. That affects me and so many others, and that's why it bothers me and so many others. If you don't understand or see that perspective, there's no point in continuing. Go have fun in the parks and happily pay whatever Disney charges. I still have fun, but I don't get to do it nearly as often as in years past because the rate of price increases has far outstripped the increase in our income.

Personally hit my breaking point in 2015, and I've been going since I was a kid but there is no longer any 'Disney' in DisneyWorld. Used to be my happy place where I could check out from the world. The Following tune from Joni Mitchell is appropriate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well I just returned the call to the lady who has been trying to call me. She definitely had her script and talking points ready and defended Disney to the point that it seemed she would give her life for it. She gave me the "align with industry standards and the majority of Orlando hotels charge for parking" speech. I asked why Disney was wanting to align themselves with other resorts instead of being the industry leader that every other resort, theme park, etc wants to be. She said "oh we are the industry leader! You can't go anywhere else and get the experience you get at Disney! You get so much staying at a Disney resort you can't get anywhere else like emh, fp+, transportation." I said well you can get a nicer room at a Disney Springs hotel for less than the cost of a Disney value resort and get all the benefits. Her response was basically you can't see a giant buzz lightyear and be immersed in the magic at the Holiday Inn. She also said parking fees were never included in room price and parking lots need maintenance. She also said that they were working on a new experience at the resorts where cast members will give guests a personal welcome experience. That's the first I've heard of that. She also talked about how no other company cares about their guests as much as Disney and wants everyone to have a magical experience! She said she knows personally how much Bob, Bob, and George care about us! I mentioned that a lot of "guests" recent experiences haven't been very magical. She said that I shouldn't go by what others say but go and judge for myself. I then asked if she didn't think that all the negative publicity that Disney was getting over this would have any sort of affect. She didn't seem to care about that and brushed it off as just a few people complaining on social media. I also asked if anyone had given any thought to how the parking fee would affect the already overcrowded and unreliable bus system. She said she couldn't comment on that beyond hypotheticals but on busy park days the buses will be busy. Also they make every effort to make sure the buses are running as timely and efficiently as possible. She also told me that guest should call when they have bad experiences with the buses and also talk to a manager about it. I told her most people on vacation don't want and shouldn't have to go through that trouble. I finished by telling her many feel that Disney is losing it's value. You no longer get what you are paying for at Disney. She said she doesn't believe that and started talking about all the new lands and rides again. It could have easily been a huge argument if I would have been just a little more aggressive. I was surprised at how intense she was in her defense of Disney. Now doesn't that make everyone feel better???

You have to feel sorry for those whose job is defending the indefensible, She's passionate because her paycheck depends on her being passionate.

In answer to your question, Absolutely not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom