News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

TangledUpInKnots

This might have already been asked but since this is a long thread, I'm going to ask again. Who should I write to. I'm aware that it won't change anything but I want someone to hear a complaint of mine. Gives me the false illusion that I'm being heard.

Kman101

wondering if the Universal hotels are as nice as everyone says...

I've only stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal and I loved it, personally (with an AP, I got a rate of about $110 a night I believe and they often send me e-mails for room discounts, yet I get next to nothing from Disney). It helped I had a first floor room right near my car in Americana and within great walking distance, less than a minute to the bus stop and a very short walk to get food and drinks and the pool. The resort was great, room felt quite large and shows you how to stay in theme but also be clean and modern and not sterile (hi, Disney). Check-in people were friendly and informative without being obnoxious. Honestly castmembers seemed happy to be doing even the most mundane chore. Morale must be really high because it's noticeable.

Yes, they charge for parking, which is odd to me as an AP holder because I don't pay to go the parks, but it wasn't a big deal because the room is a heck of a lot cheaper ... and nicer than some newer rooms at Disney (Pop Century, my old go to, I'm looking at you).

But I also stay at a Disney Springs hotel, usually for less than $90 a night (I book on hotels.com so probably no FP+ a zillion days in advance for me) and they started charging a small parking fee a couple of years ago, along with installing the gate-arm that goes up and down when you scan your parking key. And, again, it's not a big deal for the fee because I pay like nothing for a very nice room with a balcony. It's always clean and the drive to the parks isn't bad at all ...

Last edited:

bigrigross

For some people, the road trip is part of their vacation.

Thats how my wife and I see it. I enjoy driving and its about a 16 hour drive for me from Indiana to Orlando. We leave around 10PM and get there around 3PM the next day. We then get a hotel on Idrive to rest and do other things outside of Disney before checking in at Disney the next day.

Flying is just stressful. Maybe if you live next to the airport it would be worth it, but it takes us 1.5 hours to get to the airport, and then you at least have another hour or two more there. Then layovers, and then getting a rental. Rather just take my time and enjoy the drive.

Indy_UK

Surely these price increases are also scaring people who are maybe considering DVC as well? The annual dues are increasing as always, they are over the $200 a point and perks are slowly being taken away.

When I'm thinking about buying in but then I see all the other ways, I'm probably going to be nickel and dimed along the way, I'm not sure if it's much of a deal or something I want to invest in long term

deeevo

I'm just going to leave this here.....
26g0p9.jpg
Disneyland resort is 88 acres and Disney World is 10,500 acres. This is a money grab that is why people are losing their minds.

Last edited:

Kingoglow

The thing is, it is not like their buses are empty or anything.

They can try to force people to leave behind their cars and use their mass transit system but is already packed full. While I have always gotten onto a bus when it arrives (at a value) in the morning, there are several times when the bus lines at park close are so long you wont make the bus. You will wait for the next one (another 20ish minutes) and be standing in the aisle after a long park day.

Indy_UK

I've only stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal and I loved it, personally (with an AP, I got a rate of about $110 a night I believe and they often send me e-mails for room discounts, yet I get next to nothing from Disney). It helped I had a first floor room right near by car in Ameircana and within great walking distance, less than a minute to the bus stop and a very short walk to get food and drinks and the pool. The resort was great, room felt quite large and shows you how to stay in theme but also be clean and modern and not sterile (hi, Disney). Check-in people were friendly and informative without being obnoxious. Honestly castmembers seemed happy to be doing even the most mundane chore. Morale must be really high because it's noticeable.

Yes, they charge for parking, which is odd to me as an AP holder because I don't pay to go the parks, but it wasn't a big deal because the room is a heck of a lot cheaper ... and nicer than some newer rooms at Disney (Pop Century, my old go to, I'm looking at you).

But I also stay at a Disney Springs hotel, usually for less than $90 a night (I book on hotels.com so probably no FP+ a zillion days in advance for me) and they started charging a small parking fee a couple of years ago, along with installing the gate-arm that goes up and down when you scan your parking key. And, again, it's not a big deal for the fee because I pay like nothing for a very nice room with a balcony. It's always clean and the drive to the parks isn't bad at all ...

I loved my stay at Cabana Bay. Agree with everything you say

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This might have already been asked but since this is a long thread, I'm going to ask again. Who should I write to. I'm aware that it won't change anything but I want someone to hear a complaint of mine. Gives me the false illusion that I'm being heard.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/ for an online form,
or email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com,
or write either of these two gentlemen:
Robert A. Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Bob Chapek
Chairman
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Kman101

There are many much closer than I drive. Heck, the DS hotels may have those fees, but most still come out under $200/night, and they have great amenities and much larger rooms.

I pay under 90 for one usually ... and yeah the one I stay at added a parking fee a few years ago. But for the price it's not a problem to me. I still don't appreciate being asked to pay a parking fee at check-in, that should be part of the resort fee or room price. JMO. But that's another argument for another day lol.

And now that the DS hotels have added EMH, that makes it even better to me. I'm glad they've gone back to that. Makes the decision easy for me to keep staying there.

And busses are available too, of course. Disney Springs you could walk to. The busses are pretty reliable imo. It's often on the money. But it's still bus service that combines parks when picking up and dropping off, etc. but the busses aren't often packed to the brim ....

21stamps

Nor do the Williamsburg hotels or the Greenbrier in WV. Both upper level hotels in the vacation world.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that some hotels have parking fees and some don’t. Most have a blanket fee, to all visitors.

The Hotel Breakers comparison just illustrates how far the amusement park industry is taking their rates. People make the same complaints on Cedar Point’s FB page as we’re reading here. Prices keep going up.. more fees keep getting added. It’s nearly impossible to go to that park on a weekend without paying $120 per person for a Fast Lane Plus Pass, on top of your admission ticket. The hotel itself doesn’t have impressive rooms, and the dining options are horrible, yet- they get away with charging $400 per night because of location.

I think the industry in general is just booming right now, so they’re seeing how far they can capitalize on it. Apparently this parking fee was one more way for Disney to do just that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Surely these price increases are also scaring people who are maybe considering DVC as well? The annual dues are increasing as always, they are over the $200 a point and perks are slowly being taken away.

When I'm thinking about buying in but then I see all the other ways, I'm probably going to be nickel and dimed along the way, I'm not sure if it's much of a deal or something I want to invest in long term

See I think part of the strategy is to drive them into dvc.

Look: today we "members" have a brand new "perk" that we did not at breakfast yesterday...and yet nothing changed. Snake oil, basically...

The problem for dvc is that it didn't sell for 10 years and it was a really good deal. And those people are mostly baby boomers and still quite around.

Bob hates them...or even gen Xers like me...

Come to think of it...he actually hates me for two reasons: I also remember what a good Star Wars is supposed to make you feel like 😜

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

I've only stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal and I loved it, personally (with an AP, I got a rate of about $110 a night I believe and they often send me e-mails for room discounts, yet I get next to nothing from Disney). It helped I had a first floor room right near my car in Americana and within great walking distance, less than a minute to the bus stop and a very short walk to get food and drinks and the pool. The resort was great, room felt quite large and shows you how to stay in theme but also be clean and modern and not sterile (hi, Disney). Check-in people were friendly and informative without being obnoxious. Honestly castmembers seemed happy to be doing even the most mundane chore. Morale must be really high because it's noticeable.

Which Disney Springs hotel do you stay at? If you don't mind me asking.

LSLS

I read a post on this site a while ago.. can’t remember what thread.. Anyway, the poster said that Shades of Green encourages their guests to use Poly transportation.

I’ve seen several other posts talking about Resort hopping or eating and leaving car at a monorail or Epcot Resort while they go to a park.
I would be a-ok with Disney addressing those issues.
The parking fee for overnight guests is annoying because it doesn’t address any of those issues.

Anyway, I will be curious to see if this actually has an impact on reservations. I doubt it.

Honestly everyone has to draw a line somewhere. Sure $25 doesn't feel like much at that price point. But, keep in mind Beach club raised their rates by 5% for 2018. Now add in another 6%. That is an 11% increase over last year. That's not chump change. For a moderate like POFQ, it's even worse. You are talking about 13% increases. I can honestly say my line has been met.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Honestly everyone has to draw a line somewhere. Sure $25 doesn't feel like much at that price point. But, keep in mind Beach club raised their rates by 5% for 2018. Now add in another 6%. That is an 11% increase over last year. That's not chump change. For a moderate like POFQ, it's even worse. You are talking about 13% increases. I can honestly say my line has been met.
You're absolutely correct. When you find it not to be a good value, its time to move on or find cheaper options.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The Hilton on Disney Springs (not the Palace) is very reasonable. I think there is a rate right now for Labor Day around $95 a night plus the fees of course.

LSLS

Let me also add, I did those numbers based on the most expensive and least expensive value season options. Another thing to keep in mind, they have now split value more. So whereas in 2017 you had a Sunday-Thursday rate and a Friday/Saturday rate, this year they split out Sundays and Thursdays. Again, back to values, if you stay From Sunday-Sunday at POFQ, you are talking about a 15% increase in the cost of your room from last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom