News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It does the opposite for us. We usually drive to the resort and don't drive again till we leave. We are already booked 4 times this year but next years 4 trips we will stay off property and drive to the parks instead. Also we will save so much staying off property that we are getting Universal passes as well. This year we are giving Disney over 12,000 dollars before food. Next year it will be about a 3rd of that. This was finally the push I needed to leave Disney property. So in that case I guess I like it.

No offense, but you're not gonna make them
Earn it really at all...let's face it. Goes to pattern.

I'm not judging...i and many tend to be somewhere on the same boat.

It sucks...we are the backbone that allows the place to operate, but they've declared war on us for clowns around Wall Street to fuel their ego...and keep going back for more.

slappy magoo

Dvc has lots of extra visibility due to being a timeshare, but not true open market or transparency since the relationship is so incestuous with Disney.

But it's the incestuous relationship with Disney I'm talking about...and here's hoping talk of Disney and incest never extends beyond this.

You brought up the spas. I honestly don't know how the spa at Saratoga operates, but my guess is WDW "rents" the space for the spa from DVC for pretty much nothing, and it's all numbers on a spreadsheet so it's not like money changes hands. And in exchange for the sweet rental DVC members get discounts on services, so goody on us. But that's how Disney profits from DVC without DVC members necessarily sharing in those profits. Similar deals with any restaurant or lounge services in the DVC resorts - DVC has a contract with WDW where DVC rents out the space, WDW uses the space for kitchens and dining areas and shops and bars etc, DVC in theory isn't exposed to the "risk" of running their own restaurants and bars and gets a flat fee. WDW assumes the "risk" but reaps the profits.

But the roads are different. Paying for parking would in theory have to go back into DVC's account, and the profits would then have to be shared back with DVC members in the form of stabilized or reduced maintenance fees, which could become problematic. The only way to get around that is to argue DVC does not own the property where the lots reside.

But it's also possible you're right, DVC DOESN'T own the lots attached to the resorts, and at any point they can start charging DVC members for parking. Or they choose to pit DVC members who drive against those who don't "sure, you're paying to park, but now everyone gets a rebate, why should people who take Magical Express to WDW have to pay to maintain the lots they never use?" But I think then the argument would be "well, the DME and theme park buses DO use the roads and lots so members who don't drive DO assumed some responsibility for them. And if I never use the pool or the gym or the community hall, why should my maintenance fees go to THOSE services, I demand a rebate!" I think it's behooves WDW AND DVC AND its members not to get into that kettle of fish by saying "DVC members still get to park free, it's a 'perk,' y'all!"

CaptainAmerica

It does the opposite for us. We usually drive to the resort and don't drive again till we leave. We are already booked 4 times this year but next years 4 trips we will stay off property and drive to the parks instead. Also we will save so much staying off property that we are getting Universal passes as well. This year we are giving Disney over 12,000 dollars before food. Next year it will be about a 3rd of that. This was finally the push I needed to leave Disney property. So in that case I guess I like it.
Resort occupancy is so high right now that Disney will have no trouble filling your room with someone who is either willing to pay the fee of doesn't have a car in the first place. That's why they don't really care if this turns some people off. There are enough people who want to go but can't because of capacity issues.

CaptainAmerica

But it's the incestuous relationship with Disney I'm talking about...and here's hoping talk of Disney and incest never extends beyond this.

You brought up the spas. I honestly don't know how the spa at Saratoga operates, but my guess is WDW "rents" the space for the spa from DVC for pretty much nothing, and it's all numbers on a spreadsheet so it's not like money changes hands. And in exchange for the sweet rental DVC members get discounts on services, so goody on us. But that's how Disney profits from DVC without DVC members necessarily sharing in those profits. Similar deals with any restaurant or lounge services in the DVC resorts - DVC has a contract with WDW where DVC rents out the space, WDW uses the space for kitchens and dining areas and shops and bars etc, DVC in theory isn't exposed to the "risk" of running their own restaurants and bars and gets a flat fee. WDW assumes the "risk" but reaps the profits.

But the roads are different. Paying for parking would in theory have to go back into DVC's account, and the profits would then have to be shared back with DVC members in the form of stabilized or reduced maintenance fees, which could become problematic. The only way to get around that is to argue DVC does not own the property where the lots reside.

But it's also possible you're right, DVC DOESN'T own the lots attached to the resorts, and at any point they can start charging DVC members for parking. Or they choose to pit DVC members who drive against those who don't "sure, you're paying to park, but now everyone gets a rebate, why should people who take Magical Express to WDW have to pay to maintain the lots they never use?" But I think then the argument would be "well, the DME and theme park buses DO use the roads and lots so members who don't drive DO assumed some responsibility for them. And if I never use the pool or the gym or the community hall, why should my maintenance fees go to THOSE services, I demand a rebate!" I think it's behooves WDW AND DVC AND its members not to get into that kettle of fish by saying "DVC members still get to park free, it's a 'perk,' y'all!"
Incorrect assumptions. The State of Florida regulates and audits timeshares extremely vigorously. There is real cash that changes hands at arm's length market rates.

MileZXO

Probably an unpopular opinion but Disney want you to stay on property. this is to deter you from using a car and visiting the other parks imo. they dont want you spending money elsewhere.

Because anyone who does just disney has no use for a car.

Resort occupancy is so high right now that Disney will have no trouble filling your room with someone who is either willing to pay the fee of doesn't have a car in the first place. That's why they don't really care if this turns some people off. There are enough people who want to go but can't because of capacity issues.

I know you are correct. I honestly meant I happy they did it. At first I was ticked like a lot of people on here, but it just hit me "what do we really get for all the money we and many others spend?" We will still go to Disney because we love it, but it will never be just Disney again. If the value was still there 200 extra dollars wouldn't be a big deal, but for my family i would rather spend way less on food and lodging so that we can afford other Florida parks while we are there. We are AP holders and will keep our passes for at least a couple year longer, but we will also be Universal passholders next year. I'm serious when I say it's a win win for us.

ace1323

its had reverse effect on me as well - stay on property every year, but will be offsite next trip. Can accept the higher rates for on property hotels to comparable offsite as there is a different experience and convenience factor there as well - but the added parking fees just push it over the top at this point.

they just invested how much on this gondola system i have yet to really see how someone believed that was a great idea - but looks like they are going to do everything in their power to force you to stay there and use it and this minnie van and anything else they can do to ensure once you get on property you are not easily leaving.

wendysue

I wish I hadn't renewed our AP's in February. I am just plain tired of all the upcharges. I know you can say that they do it EVERYWHERE. That may be true, but I don't want to go everywhere, I just like going to WDW. (Well, I did.) We do have a trip still in July, and won't have to pay to park then, since we booked in January, but after then, will try to get another trip or two in to make use of our AP's, (not getting a rental car) but that will be the end for us. I can see extra charges coming for ME as well, and that will really be the nail in the coffin.

J_Krafty24

How will they determine who has a car? Will they take your word for it? Paper passes on the dashboard and tickets or towing for any cars without the passes? Magic band scans when entering the parking lot, in which case will you be charged if you scan in a car that is just dropping you off?

Mainahman

Silly option really! just fly!
I live 701 miles to be exact from the world. I can pay 75 bucks in gas to drive, park my car, and use disney transportation, as i did last week. the best cheaper route out of nashville, puts me going up to DC, then down to orlando, and if i fly., im restrticted in when i can arrive to the world, when i can leave, and what i can bring back, all for the tune of 500 bucks for 2 of us.
Thats where im miffed. For us its far cheaper, and easier to Drive. We dont leave, we dont want to. we just want to be able to travel cheaply.

John park hopper

Silly option really! just fly!
You are not serious. From Charleston SC it takes me 7 hours to drive at a cost of $100 . To fly it takes 6 or more hours- there are no diect flights to Orlando at a cost far greater than i can drive with my wife. Having my car at the resort has no impact as we take on site transpotation. The car is parked until we leave

disney4life2008

I hate added fees. However, I do think this will help with 2 problems WDW has, too many cars parking at the Parks and traffic on the roads. With SWGE and the 50th coming and all the crowds WDW needs to reduce the number on cars onsite. Then there is the downside to the number 1 rental car site in the US, MCO airport. This will reduce the number of cars rented and encourage more use of the Magic Express, thus hurting the rental car industry.

Traffic on what roads? There is virtually never traffic within Disney property except major holidays and park closing. If you are referring to i4 those people are likely not staying at Disney.

Mainahman

You are not serious. From Charleston SC it takes me 7 hours to drive at a cost of $100 . To fly it takes 6 or more hours- there are no diect flights to Orlando at a cost far greater than i can drive with my wife. Having my car at the resort has no impact as we take on site transpotation. The car is parked until we leave
We are the same! its like a 12 hour trip with time change, and stops for food and fuel and costs us maybe 100 round trip with food. NO good flights out of nashville either.

Rumrunner

So I figure DW and I are paying for a $7000 trip, (no discount included) plus the extra things we will pay for during our stay, (souvineers, snacks). We are now having to add on about $270 for parking.
The parking fee is a slap in the face. This is on top of higher resort fees, higher ticket prices, and the ridiculous early closing of the parks,, esp MK at 10:00 or earlier. It seems Disney has this new arrogant attitude that they are free to treat patrons as they wish. Not sure if I will continue to be a Disney fan.

LSLS

We are the same! its like a 12 hour trip with time change, and stops for food and fuel and costs us maybe 100 round trip with food. NO good flights out of nashville either.

Yup, we are around 12 hours. Closest airport is around 2 hours away. By the time you park at the airport for say a 6 day trip (cheap is like $10/day), buy 4 plane tickets round trip ($200 each at least), and pay your bag fees ($25 or so per person), you are comparing $100 ($200 if we do it over two days on the way down) vs. almost $1,000. Not to mention, by the time you drive to the airport getting there 2 hours early, fly, get out of the airport, get on the MDE and get dropped off, you are really only saving around 2-3 hours (and that is assuming you get a direct flight). They aren't hurting now, and they probably won't in the short-term. All I can say is we have stayed our last time on site, and we will be drastically cutting trips to Disney Parks (though not to Florida).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom