News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

larandtra

So I have pondered this since it was announced and did a realistic comparison for a trip memorial day weekend. AP Holder with TIW. 3 Adults
Riverside 297
AKL 516
All Star 171
BDW Inn 451
Poly 590

I took a cross section using their best offer for a double standard, no special views. Keep in mind this is Without the Parking fee and I have stayed at all of these at one time or another

Now lets look at Springs resorts:
B Resort- 147 + 27 Resort Fee+22 Parking Fee: Double with Disney View Total 196
Wyndham Lake Buena Vista: 150/ Night plus 25 resort fee plus 15 Parking Double with Lake View Total 190
Best Western 104 Plus 14 Resort Fee plus 8 Parking Fee Double with lake view Total 126
Hilton Buena Vista Palace 208 Plus 30 Resort Fee Plus 10 Parking Double with Lake View 248
All of these I can get EMH if need be, shuttles to and from parks or with an AP I dont pay for parking anyway.

Other Hotels of note
Bonnet Creek Wyndham All Fees total 240/ Night two bedroom suite
Hilton Bonnet Creek 165 plus 35 Resort Fee plus 27 Parking fee Double pool view suite Total 227
Courtyard Marriot 145/Night with fees plus free breakfast Double
Gaylord Palms 175/Night all fees included Double tower plus food discount and free breakfast
Marriot Cypress Harbor 165/Night all fees Double tower room
Various HGVC Resorts Checked 3 of them and they range from 150-210/ night for a 2 bedroom suite all fees included

And then the budget resorts off property that for a short one or two night stay:
Baymont 75/ Night with fees Double
Red Lion 60/Night with fees double
BarefootNResort 108/Night With fees 2 bedroom suite
Legacy Golf Resort 125/Night with fees 2 bedroom suite

So realistically, What is going to make me want to stay on site with even more fees being added? The "value" resorts are trash and cost as much or close to resorts which are much better off site. Some even have EMH( SPrings hotels). I get better service, better rooms, and better perks because I can generally get upgrades, free drinks, etc. And IM not dumb enough to think this matters to Disney at all, but, more and more people who drive and have APs will find their way off property. If you go with a large group you can rent a 5 bedroom house for less than 300/ Night. They are going to do this regardless and the people who just go once or twice a year or every couple of years will pay these fees happily ( Resort fee will be next, the a WiFi Fee, etc) because they dont have much of a choice and believe they have to stay on property to get the "experience". For people like me, staying on property will happen when the AP discount ( when there are rooms) is decent or they drop their rates to be competitive, or sometimes a special occasion. But, in those cases, Ill leave my car at my brothers who lives 5 minutes from property and just uber to the resort.

jbolen2

I didn’t realize how lucky we are with cheap direct flights to mco out of Birmingham. My wife and I are flying round trip first week of may to meet my parents at the fort for 237$ total on frontier.

Mainahman

Yup, we are around 12 hours. Closest airport is around 2 hours away. By the time you park at the airport for say a 6 day trip (cheap is like $10/day), buy 4 plane tickets round trip ($200 each at least), and pay your bag fees ($25 or so per person), you are comparing $100 ($200 if we do it over two days on the way down) vs. almost $1,000. Not to mention, by the time you drive to the airport getting there 2 hours early, fly, get out of the airport, get on the MDE and get dropped off, you are really only saving around 2-3 hours (and that is assuming you get a direct flight). They aren't hurting now, and they probably won't in the short-term. All I can say is we have stayed our last time on site, and we will be drastically cutting trips to Disney Parks (though not to Florida).

Amen!

Were still discussing whats next. We were looking at spending our 10 year anniversary at Wilderness lodge, but with this... the cut has to come from somewhere, so we will see. Its far cheaper for us that live within reason to drive vs over inflated airline fees on top of over inflated disney fees.

SAV

We drive because of the cost to fly. 75 in gas or like 600 in flights. I dont leave, I use disney transportation once im there, yet now i get to pay to park with no additional perks...

I saw this mentioned somewhere else, but if you truly just park your car and never use it once on property, you can always park the car at an off-site airport parking spot for $8 per day, shuttle to the Airport, take DME to your resort, then when done do the reverse back to your car. It would save at least half of your parking fee.

Mainahman

I saw this mentioned somewhere else, but if you truly just park your car and never use it once on property, you can always park the car at an off-site airport parking spot for $8 per day, shuttle to the Airport, take DME to your resort, then when done do the reverse back to your car. It would save at least half of your parking fee.

Thats not a horrible idea, but it still limits when i can put items in the car, grab water from the car ( we buy cases of water to take with us for the drive, and into the parks) Not to mention all the extra luggage we create from buying stuff ha! Definitely something to look at though. My aunt also lives in Lakeland, and i have an Uncle in the general area too. I could totally park there, and have them drop us off for the week, and then pick us up with our car before we leave. Kill 2 birds with one stone. See family and get no fees.

OneofThree

I mean, correct me if I am wrong but in February, you appeared to advocate for higher pricing to thin the very large crowds. They are doing that....with fees, upcharges, etc.

Some people on here are already saying they are "priced out". I thought that this new move would be appealing to you.......but now, as you say, it's a "tax".

Serious question, not snark: Do you just want them to "price out" the people who can't afford to stay on property?

I think you're reading a lot of intent into my comments on pricing, intent that just isn't there as such. I also disagree that Disney is implementing this to address crowding problems -there is no function to this latest charge beyond the cash grab, save maybe the idea Disney would prefer you did not have access to a personal vehicle or rental. I had no issues with them raising resort rates this year, and we all know the reasons we pay more to stay on property. Others have suggested here that it doesn't matter, that it's all about the bottom line vacation cost -i.e. "market value" of the accommodations. I disagree with lumping in this sort of fee with the thinking that it should be taken as part of the way the rooms are valued. Reason being, the fee doesn't function to bring rooms "up" to market value, because if it did, Disney would not still be discounting rooms most of the year.

yensid67

I am upset now though because it is going to be harder to find a place to stay offsite until the smart people build hotels and not charge parking fees.
Hey Goofy...if you're looking for a nice 3 star hotel with no parking fees, look at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista(clarionlbv.com) I got 8 nights for $676 including Buffet Breakfast! 24 hr security, pillow top mattresses, 2 pools deli, convenience store game room and bar! Its part of Rosen Hotels, all the sister hotels are the same room set up, so if ya go to another you know what you are getting! They have 2 'Deluxe' hotels that are cheaper than a Disney Deluxe! All are on International Drive except Clarion LBV, Clarion is right behind the Crossroads Shopping Center at 8442 Pal Parkway.
It says "Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter" So if I book my reservations for June and August RIGHT NOW, will the parking fees still be there when I arrive?
Yes, you answered your question before you asked it! Parking fees will take effect March 21, 2018 UNLESS so many people call email or write letters to show their disapproval of this unnecessary fee, it will begin on March 21 for all reservations from that point!

PLEASE WRITE TO DISNEY IN SOME WAY TO MAKE YOU FEELINGS KNOWN! IT WON'T CHANGE UNTIL ENOUGH GUESTS COMPLAIN ABOUT ALL THE NICKEL AND DIMING! PLEASE WRITE!

DisAl

Charging for parking at a motel may be the industry standard, but considering the premium prices you already pay for staying on property this STINKS. :mad:
Since they can't collect daily parking from people who fly in and take the DME they will probably start charging for that too.

ELG13

You're going to wait until April to get a room for May-June? That's... chancy.

You can reserve just the rooms now with just a deposit. When the tax refund comes in, call to upgrade your room to a package.
Im pretty sure you have to have a package for the option of the deposit. I think if it's just rooms you pay upfront. That was my experience. The deposit for any package regardless of price is $200 and final payment is due a month prior to check in.

Im pretty sure you have to have a package for the option of the deposit. I think if it's just rooms you pay upfront. That was my experience. The deposit for any package regardless of price is $200 and final payment is due a month prior to check in.

No you can pay a deposit on a room only. Pay the rest when you check in. Or pay it off by phone before you go.

Frankiepopsicles

I got this from a Facebook Group
Anyone who is worrying about Disney parking charges, here is an update from Disney

HOTEL PARKING AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

You may have seen reports that standard overnight hotel self-parking for guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels at Walt Disney World Resort will incur a fee that will be applied to hotel folio upon check-out.

For UK and Ireland guests this only applies to reservations made December 31st 2019 and after.

All EXISTING and NEW 2018 and 2019 UK and Ireland guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels will continue to enjoy free hotel parking for 2018 and 2019, and free parking at the theme parks and at Disney Springs”

yensid67

This next trip will more than likely be MY LAST TRIP! I don't stay on property, so the parking isn't the issue. It's all the little things they charge for and in the process they take away things that could justify it sometimes! To expensive=Disney downfall...people will stop or at least limit their Disney trips causing Disney to go BANKRUPT! LOL That's not going to happen, but the high prices will put a damper on their crowds, just what they wanted to do. I think it s cheap trick to do it this way and just keep raising prices so the average American CANNOT afford to go! It will soon become a playland for the upper percentage that have money to burn!

USofA scott

So I have pondered this since it was announced and did a realistic comparison for a trip memorial day weekend. AP Holder with TIW. 3 Adults
Riverside 297
AKL 516
All Star 171
BDW Inn 451
Poly 590

I took a cross section using their best offer for a double standard, no special views. Keep in mind this is Without the Parking fee and I have stayed at all of these at one time or another

Now lets look at Springs resorts:
B Resort- 147 + 27 Resort Fee+22 Parking Fee: Double with Disney View Total 196
Wyndham Lake Buena Vista: 150/ Night plus 25 resort fee plus 15 Parking Double with Lake View Total 190
Best Western 104 Plus 14 Resort Fee plus 8 Parking Fee Double with lake view Total 126
Hilton Buena Vista Palace 208 Plus 30 Resort Fee Plus 10 Parking Double with Lake View 248
All of these I can get EMH if need be, shuttles to and from parks or with an AP I dont pay for parking anyway.

Other Hotels of note
Bonnet Creek Wyndham All Fees total 240/ Night two bedroom suite
Hilton Bonnet Creek 165 plus 35 Resort Fee plus 27 Parking fee Double pool view suite Total 227
Courtyard Marriot 145/Night with fees plus free breakfast Double
Gaylord Palms 175/Night all fees included Double tower plus food discount and free breakfast
Marriot Cypress Harbor 165/Night all fees Double tower room
Various HGVC Resorts Checked 3 of them and they range from 150-210/ night for a 2 bedroom suite all fees included

And then the budget resorts off property that for a short one or two night stay:
Baymont 75/ Night with fees Double
Red Lion 60/Night with fees double
BarefootNResort 108/Night With fees 2 bedroom suite
Legacy Golf Resort 125/Night with fees 2 bedroom suite

So realistically, What is going to make me want to stay on site with even more fees being added? The "value" resorts are trash and cost as much or close to resorts which are much better off site. Some even have EMH( SPrings hotels). I get better service, better rooms, and better perks because I can generally get upgrades, free drinks, etc. And IM not dumb enough to think this matters to Disney at all, but, more and more people who drive and have APs will find their way off property. If you go with a large group you can rent a 5 bedroom house for less than 300/ Night. They are going to do this regardless and the people who just go once or twice a year or every couple of years will pay these fees happily ( Resort fee will be next, the a WiFi Fee, etc) because they dont have much of a choice and believe they have to stay on property to get the "experience". For people like me, staying on property will happen when the AP discount ( when there are rooms) is decent or they drop their rates to be competitive, or sometimes a special occasion. But, in those cases, Ill leave my car at my brothers who lives 5 minutes from property and just uber to the resort.

When I can come down it is only for 2 days usually. Quick trips in and out of the world. So here are the real clinchers for staying on property.

DME. two people with MEARS booked directly is 74.00. Adds the equivalent of 37.00 per night to the room
Disney Transport buses. They run every 15 minutes. Disney Springs Area shuttle runs every 30 minutes. Offsite shuttles are even less often
<note, the way everyone complains about paying for parking, I wish the airport had free parking. 10 per day, way out in BFE>

In your example, i will take All Stars or Riverside. In full disclosure I am DVC, so I have points to use for a couple of the trips each year. Last year I made 8 trips and paid cash for 5, points for 3. Cash trips were Caribean Beach, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports (twice) and Pop. DVC were OKW and SSR studiosm, once each and then Jambo 1 BR when we brought family.

Capsin4

Oh it’s definitely about cash. Much the same way that extra fees that didn’t used to exist take in billions for the airline industry. People compare prices before fees. If it happens to reduce guest spending elsewhere, no big deal. It’ll probably displace spending that requires employees and inventory to collect😯
I drove to 2 parks one day in November. Never again.
Went back to our room, parked the car, took an Uber to MK.
depends on when we go and what time we get to the parks. When we rope drop MK in late August, we can walk to the gate from the front lots.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I guess I am used to paying for parking at the Swan and Dolphin for years, so this isn't anything shocking. I'd recommend staying at the S&D for the folks who haven't already or have their #1 priority as location. I find them to be great values for the most part (sometimes conventions can jack up the prices). We are going Labor Day, the Dolphin's rate is $162, when you factor all fees (including parking) its roughly $245. To me that is a value compared to the area Resorts (Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk) which will cost you well over $350 to $450 a night.

21stamps

After that baby died a few years ago they added gates around the pool. Once that baby got ate by the alligator they took away the ability to walk on the beach.

Not true. You can still walk and play on the beaches. There’s just a fence and rocks separating the beach from the water now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can understand why everyone is so upset about this change. However, as a long time DVC member and a former CM, the only way they are going to change is when people 100% stop spending money at the parks and resorts. People can call, write, ***** and complain, but it is going to do nothing until it drastically effects the incoming cash flow.

If you want to make Disney know you are not happy, stop going to the resorts, parks, Disney Springs, ESPN Sports complex, water parks, ect! Until that happens, they are going to keep taking more and more money from you in different ways.

$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

Some of us are already there,

Stopped visiting Disney, Sold our DVC (we were charter members at 2 resorts) and will return when hell freezes over.

21stamps

That's coming.

I’d be fine with it.

Not staying at a monorail resort? Pay $X.00 for a launch. Pay $X.00 for monorail access from one of this resorts.
Not staying at POR/FQ/OKW- Pay $X.00 for use of the boat to DS.
Not staying at BWI/BC/YC- Pay $X.00 for the friendship boat to Epcot.

I would be ok with that, because it would make sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom