News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

mikejs78

Premium Member
For us this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. After 26 years at Poly CL nothing has angered us more. The $24 per night is only part of it. It’s that parking is free for people who just want to visit and just look around. So I have to pay to park at a resort that costs $900 plus a night in CL and still no guarantee that I will get a parking spot. So I can still go through the hell of trying to find a spot while somebody parks there saying they are visiting simply to get free parking to go to MK. What genius thought this was a great idea. Take care of your paying resort guest first Disney!

So, was just about to book this year’s trip but we’re not going to now. This really is too much. Angry email to Guest Communications on its way.
In the past I've gotten more of a response by emailing George Kalogridis, Bob Chapek, and Bob Iger than just Guest Communications.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We do also get insane discounts on rentals here too, so thats a thought i didnt think of. Is there one near Disney springs? Usually when we go we come on a saturday, and leave on a saturday.

A few...

1521057266538.png

Legendary

This is ridiculous. I am all for businesses making money but at the same time the business needs to provide something to the customer. Recently Disney has been taking, taking and taking. What is changing at the resorts to justify a parking fee? Value resorts are not a value anymore. Moderates and Deluxes are so overpriced. Better true resort style accommodations can be found elsewhere. Instead of installing parking gates how about putting love back into the parks which desperately need it. Disney needs to stop wasting their energy trying to figure out ways to squeeze every last penny from their customers and use that energy to figure out how to build more attractions faster and build them faster.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I am with you. This year was to be trip 46.. all on Disney property. If we end up going (so mad Im undecided), I will most definitely be staying off property for the first time. Disney will get my vacation scraps from now on rather than the bulk of it all.
You should let them know. Email George and the Bobs.

Keith2426

The benefits of staying on property have disappeared. This is the final straw.! We used to stay on property for the extra magic hours and that benefit for the most part has disappeared in lieu of hard ticket events. As if the prices for the deluxe hotels weren’t high enough, Now Disney has a new way of nickel and diming their guests by adding a parking fee. Way to go Disney! Time to take our vacation business elsewhere.

IanDLBZF

You should let them know. Email George and the Bobs.
Better yet, email George and Jim first. Save the Bobs as a last resort.
I'd follow the technique shown here first, if that doesn't help then email the Bobs:
http://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-resolving-a-consumer-dispute/
Where are those email addresses located? I would like to share my feelings.
George and Jim's emails are here: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/disney-world/

Legendary

I have a feeling this will create a negative effect for Disney. A lot of people save and scrape up to go on a Disney Vacation. Choices will have to be made with this additional fee. Onsite or offsite? Cut the trip by a day or two. Reduce the souvenir budget. Forgo a dining reservation. Cancel a desert party reservation. Unfortunately with the way the prices are right now most guests can’t afford everything that Disney nickels and dimes for, so we will have to make our vacation less magical In order to pay for parking.

daringstoic

Most hotels do a pay at exit or use a room card to enter/exit to track and charge parking. It's really not that hard and Disney is really one of the last hotels to implement this so there are plenty of examples to follow.
The "most hotels" part is only true in cities and downtown areas. I travel almost every week throughout the US for business and stay in Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Express/and Hampton Inn level hotels and the only times I've paid for parking at my hotel were in NYC and Chicago. Places like where I'm currently at in suburban Buffalo don't charge for parking or have any kind of room key control on the parking lots. You just drive up and walk in, and that's been true at 99% of the hotels I've stayed at in 4 years of constant travel.

I've always factored free parking into my cost/benefit assessment of staying on property or not, but clearly that won't be a factor any more...which reminds me that I need to go rewrite that section of the blog post I have saved in my drafts folder.

scarr13311

The Disney bus service is really slow. One cold evening in December we were at Hollywood Studios and waiting in line for the bus to take all the guests to the Pop Century it took the bus driver over 40 minutes to come to pick up the guests. All the other guest to the other resorts were being picked up, and there was two buses parked on the side by the bus lanes just sitting there doing nothing. We were the last to be picked up. That is why we decided from that night on to rent a car. Benefit of staying at Disney going away.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I already called Disability Services. While folks with a handicap sticker will not pay the new overnight fees, how will Disney police those that choose to "borrow" a handicap pass from dear old mom or dad to skirt the fee? Better add more spots or more valet attedants.

How does this make any sense? From what I understood in the past Valet would park a handicap car for no fee as a courtesy. As parking was free they were just giving the service as a courtesy to those with special needs.

However how is it fair that now that parking is being charged, handicap placards recive free parking while a non placard vehicle does not? Why should a placarded vehicle get off from the charge of parking? I could see the valet remaining free for them, and I would argue it should, but why the parking it makes NO SENSE!

It goes along with the stupidity of the pricing structure. Would love to see them try and explain how a spot of pavement in a value is any differnt then a Deluxe and why I should pay $10 more for it.

lentesta

Premium Member
Most hotels do a pay at exit or use a room card to enter/exit to track and charge parking. It's really not that hard and Disney is really one of the last hotels to implement this so there are plenty of examples to follow.

Imagine the line to get out of the parking lot an hour before park opening. I don't think this is how Disney's going to do it. The logistics are too difficult.

s8film40

The "most hotels" part is only true in cities and downtown areas. I travel almost every week throughout the US for business and stay in Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Express/and Hampton Inn level hotels and the only times I've paid for parking at my hotel were in NYC and Chicago. Places like where I'm currently at in suburban Buffalo don't charge for parking or have any kind of room key control on the parking lots. You just drive up and walk in, and that's been true at 99% of the hotels I've stayed at in 4 years of constant travel.

I've always factored free parking into my cost/benefit assessment of staying on property or not, but clearly that won't be a factor any more...which reminds me that I need to go rewrite that section of the blog post I have saved in my drafts folder.
Yeah I’m talking about 4 and 5 Star/diamond hotels like the Disney Deluxe resorts not the value type hotels like you mentioned. Because Disney wants to maintain a 4 Diamond rating they have to offer valet. This is the primary reason almost all hotels that have valet also charge for parking, it’s the only way to make the business work. Disney or rather the valet company has been losing money on the valet operations so this was likely a big reason behind it amongst others:

Brian

How does this make any sense? From what I understood in the past Valet would park a handicap car for no fee as a courtesy. As parking was free they were just giving the service as a courtesy to those with special needs.

However how is it fair that now that parking is being charged, handicap placards recive free parking while a non placard vehicle does not? Why should a placarded vehicle get off from the charge of parking? I could see the valet remaining free for them, and I would argue it should, but why the parking it makes NO SENSE!

Because some people have medical conditions that require the use of their own specialized transportation throughout their vacation.

s8film40

Imagine the line to get out of the parking lot an hour before park opening. I don't think this is how Disney's going to do it. The logistics are too difficult.
A wave of a magic band can open a gate no big deal at all. Go visit practically any other hotel that charges for parking and you’ll see a similar system. Also I’ve never seen the long lines at the park toll plazas deter them from charging for theme park parking.

jbolen2

We’re any surveys done to see how many people would switch to flying over driving? I could see an added load on dme and the resort transportation from less people having a vehicle.

Luckily we are campers so we get 1 free with our spot.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Because not everyone drives. Why should I pay a parking fee when I never have a car at WDW?
I don't use the pools the price of witch is rolled into the room so I want a discount. Same with the refrigerator, the ice machine, the play ground, bus service, the ironing board and bell services.

Disney charging for parking at resorts that I am already paying to stay at where parking is plentiful and has been there for decades is a truck load of nickel and dime BS. I don't care if other places do it. It is nickle and dime BS there as well.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
So, to clarify some disparities between my understanding from more than a year ago about the plans and what was released today, here’s what I believe is happening:

What was announced today is a temporary measure. That doesn’t mean the parking fees will ever go away, it’s just temporary in how the fees will be assessed.

Eventually you will see the hardware installed at all the parking lots in the resorts to track parking. Once that happens, day guests will be charged as well, but have a validation system in place to keep it free if you are dining.

As for the price disparity, well, all I can say there is that my original information was either wrong or they had some MBAs do more research into what the fees are that people would be willing to pay for each resort category.

Anyway, I still believe resort fees are coming down the road. So there’s something for you to look forward to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom