News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

RETLAW

I can understand why everyone is so upset about this change. However, as a long time DVC member and a former CM, the only way they are going to change is when people 100% stop spending money at the parks and resorts. People can call, write, and complain, but it is going to do nothing until it drastically effects the incoming cash flow.

If you want to make Disney know you are not happy, stop going to the resorts, parks, Disney Springs, ESPN Sports complex, water parks, ect! Until that happens, they are going to keep taking more and more money from you in different ways.

$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

Last edited:

matt9112

There was barely any parking available at all when I was staying at GF on Thanksgiving weekend in 2016.
My girlfriend had to park by the convention center.. all the way at the end. I guarantee that the lot wasn’t full from hotel guests only.

the deluxe resorts fill much more often due to the ease of getting to MK and such but the value and moderates parking lots are not only huge but often have tons of spaces left. FOR deluxe resorts I couldx understand this from an operational point of view but for moderates and values it's a pure cash grab. with that said dining reservations and day guests can still park free so even at the deluxe resorts it's a cash grab and has nothing to do with ops. oh the irony it's heavy.

matt9112

How long until there are off site parking lots for $10/night that shuttle you to your resort? You then take a shuttle and pick car up at the end of your vacation.

with how cheap land is generally speaking in Florida still I could see this for sure. granted universal has no issue but also much smaller customer base.

RETLAW

Most are assuming resort fees will be next. The problem with what you are saying is it won't put an end to parking at the resorts to head to the parks for free, you can still park for free during the day, it's only overnight guests being punished.. I think most understand they are doing it to keep people on site and bring in a lot more revenue, but it is still insane considering what they charge for rooms at this point.

per the WDW website...

"Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

I have a feeling this means you will have to spend a certain dollar amount at the resort (and prove it with a receipt), in order to not be charged. I would not be surprised, if in the small print that has not been released yet, you will be charged theme park parking prices if you park at the resort, and go to the parks. I know most people are going to say that WDW has no way to know if you do this, but trust me, it takes a matter of seconds to check a ticket, magic band, or a name and see what they have been doing all day.

Mainahman

the deluxe resorts fill much more often due to the ease of getting to MK and such but the value and moderates parking lots are not only huge but often have tons of spaces left. FOR deluxe resorts I couldx understand this from an operational point of view but for moderates and values it's a pure cash grab. with that said dining reservations and day guests can still park free so even at the deluxe resorts it's a cash grab and has nothing to do with ops. oh the irony it's heavy.
We were at POP last week. We drove. Resort had to be at capacity with groups. There was still a ton of un used parking.....

s8film40

For the deluxe resorts it’s all about making the valet operation viable. They couldn’t keep raising the valet rates to pay for valet without charging for self parking. There’s a point where valet becomes ridiculously expensive and people stop using it.

matt9112

Right. They're so cheap that they won't even add the necessary equipment and labor to validate cars parking for ADRs. Nor will they spend the money to fix the giant ADR loophole in the app. So you can drive right in, no ADR or fee, free parking. But they will crush the hotel guests with these fees because it's easy

this x100 this is a cheap lazy policy that costs them nothing to implement and doesn't correct any (however minor) operational issues but snags more cash....due to this lazy implementation it's indefensible as well as arrogant and is driven only by profit margins and keeping you on site. Nothing in this new policy hints and or inclines this is for any operational parking issue that may or may not be valid.

3BratsToDisney

So to clarify if you made your reservations before March 21st you are exempt from this ridiculous outrageous parking fee? We have no choice but to drive every year because of the insane prices of airfare for our family of 5 and the fact DH isn't crazy about flying. With this added fee it now tacks on another $190 for our 10 night stay just to park a car we hardly use while we are on site. We now have to budget this in on our upcoming trip in July!?#@$

Rumrunner

Well, I know it's been a while, but now I'm back with some new news. I wish I could say it was good news, but I don't know how to see this as anything but bad.

WDW, by leadership of Bob Chapek, is planning to start charging resort fees and parking fees at all WDW resorts. They should begin as soon as new parking gate systems are installed. The thinking here is that Disneyland has charged for parking at the hotels for a long while now, and many other hotels around WDW also charge for parking. The resort fees are also the "industry standard" so the management believes that they will be able to get away with those with no worries.

From what I understand as far as resort parking:
The first 30 minutes will be free. $5/hr after that up to a max of $30.
Daily overnight self-parking will be $30 at the resorts. Valet will be raised to $50.
Although there is no validation planned currently for eating or shopping at the resort, evidently Tables in Wonderland members will still receive free valet parking, though that isn't set in stone.

The resort fees have not been decided upon yet, or if they have, the prices haven't leaked to me. If you have information about the fees or anything else, please drop me a message. I'm sure this thrills all of you as much as it does me.

UPDATE MARCH 14 2018
Disney to begin charging for overnight self-parking at its Walt Disney World Resort hotels
This is a bad move by Disney.

Mainahman

So to clarify if you made your reservations before March 21st you are exempt from this ridiculous outrageous parking fee? We have no choice but to drive every year because of the insane prices of airfare for our family of 5 and the fact DH isn't crazy about flying. With this added fee it now tacks on another $190 for our 10 night stay just to park a car we hardly use while we are on site. We now have to budget this in on our upcoming trip in July!?#@$
Even for 2 people its above our budget! it cost me 75 bucks in gas over this past trip. its close to 500 for 2 of us to fly....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom