WDW Resorts Reopening Thread

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know how you spin this as anything other than what it is, it's not because they want to leave the place shut down for a refurb. This is the Poly. It's a core deluxe property. They bent over backwards just a few years ago to keep it online with massive renovations.

This isn't at all like 2002 when Port Orleans was taken off-line, or like in 2008 when there were systemic 'refurbs' to portions of resorts around property to close-off buildings. This is the Poly. I mean, wow. This is perhaps one of the most mind-blowing indicators yet to me that TWDC's read on future bookings is nothing short of dire.
It’s 850 rooms that average $600 a night and the resort probably runs at 90%+ occupancy. They are likely losing just shy of $15M a month in revenues keeping it closed. Costs are down, but not completely gone since the DVC rooms are open. Not good for Disney. If they don’t open GF when NBA leaves will they close the resort monorail loop? CR is a short walk to MK and GF has boats plus the new path opens soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So by my math if you add Poly to the additional resorts that are closed indefinitely that’s over 10K hotel rooms off line. If AoA, GF or CSR don’t reopen when planned that’s an additional 3K hotel rooms. 13K rooms is over half of the non-DVC Disney owned hotel rooms. That’s a lot of lost revenue.

SteamboatJoe

So by my math if you add Poly to the additional resorts that are closed indefinitely that’s over 10K hotel rooms off line. If AoA, GF or CSR don’t reopen when planned that’s an additional 3K hotel rooms. 13K rooms is over half of the non-DVC Disney owned hotel rooms. That’s a lot of lost revenue.

It would only be lost revenue if the demand was there.

Touchdown

Not to mention, Disney usually does “rolling refurbs” where they take a block of rooms out of circulation but still keep most of them open. The Polynesian is the monorail resort that’s the most popular, fills up the fastest and the least likely resort to be discounted. The fact that they are just shutting down the property for 6-9 months speaks volumes of their expected demand.

GimpYancIent

Taking into consideration the current circumstances, which Disney can not control, the organization is doing well and working to meet its own mission statement.
1598894545925.png

SteamboatJoe

Not to mention, Disney usually does “rolling refurbs” where they take a block of rooms out of circulation but still keep most of them open. The Polynesian is the monorail resort that’s the most popular, fills up the fastest and the least likely resort to be discounted. The fact that they are just shutting down the property for 6-9 months speaks volumes of their expected demand.

It really is something. I figured there would be extended resort closures but I thought for sure the flagship MK resorts would stay open with the impact mostly on the values, Coronado (no conventions), AK Lodge, and Port Orleans (no direct non-bus transit service to a park).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see the Ceremonial House will be under construction. Does that mean the restaurants/shops will be closed, like Kona Cafe?
Good question. They have to have some food on site with 380 DVC rooms open, especially with the monorail station closed. O’Hana isn‘t open yet so maybe they stagger it and refurb that area first then open that and do Kona Cafe
later. I assume the luau won’t run either.

JoeCamel

I've done that walk about as far as it will go. It's a trek. I wouldn't want to do it in the morning or afternoon, but I probably wouldn't mind it at night in lieu of waiting.
I've walked from TTC to the MK and back in another trip. It is a fair hike that I couldn't do today.

JoeCamel

The only way you would get me to do that is if the monorail and boats were both down.
They were, no bus it sucked and under the bridge is nasty. But it was years ago so I don't know what it is today.

Worst was I had been parked under a light pole when I got back to my car...... it was ugly and I learned where not to ever park no matter what the CM says.

DVCakaCarlF

They were, no bus it sucked and under the bridge is nasty. But it was years ago so I don't know what it is today.

Worst was I had been parked under a light pole when I got back to my car...... it was ugly and I learned where not to ever park no matter what the CM says.
Happened to me last year when a lady jumped off a ferry boat in seven seas...no ferry, no resort launches, no monorail, only buses...talk about screwed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom