WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVCakaCarlF

Furthermore, July 4th is a great day to claim “independence” from COVID19. I can see a special ticketed event for this “experience.”

Again, my money is on late June soft opening and July 4th grand reopening.

Last edited by a moderator:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I link to what? To the entire sum of medical data? Lol. Your assertion is that if there isn't a link to an online story pertaining to the smallest part of my message that it's not valid? LMAO. My post is contrary to your beliefs so it's time to whip out tactics. I've seen your posts to be well thought out and intelligent other then when dealing with the idea that covid-19 isn't as bad as originally feared. It's simply not. We know enough about it now.
Someone else provided a link.

(Lol)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Furthermore, July 4th is a great day to claim “independence” from COVID19. I can see a special ticketed event for this “experience.”

Again, my money is on late June soft opening and July 4th grand reopening.
No shot. The last thing Disney wants is a huge mob the day they open. If they decide to open the first week of July it will likely get pushed until 7/5.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any response to WDW, DL, etc. opening is 99% perception, and 1% science. The additional spacing, wash stations, masks, temperature screening, and phasing are all part of “checking the boxes” so the consumer is confident to attend, and government officials feel like they are covered.
I agree with this. Most of the measures are done to make people feel more comfortable and make the public/government accept them being open. Disney wants to have the PR spin that they are going above and beyond to make guests safe. Social distancing is not really practical in a theme park.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I’m not sure we know much about this virus at all. What we do know is not based on scientific studies but observational data which can be right or very wrong. It will be 6 months to years until we know definitely exactly how this virus works and why some people at the same age and with the same underlying conditions are asymptomatic while others end up in the ICU on a ventilator. I’m not interested in debating that. We can agree to disagree on how much we know.

From the perspective of WDW and the travel and leisure economy in general, 20% of the adult population is over 65, close to 1/3 of adults have high blood pressure, 20% have diabetes, 15-20% have asthma, 30-40% of the adult population is obese. Some of those things cross each other with older people who have high blood pressure and diabetes. If you then factor in people who directly care for a high risk person (someone who takes care of or lives with their elderly parent, the parent of a kid with asthma, etc) you may get to over half the population. The point of all of this is WDW and the travel economy in general can’t be sustained long term with half the customers sitting out. The biggest false narrative going is that the government stay at home orders tanked the economy. The pandemic and the virus tanked it.

Even if the government opened everything up you can’t force people to show up. What’s best for the economy (and WDW in general) is for a slow and steady opening. That’s the best chance to get people comfortable with coming back. I get that people have trips booked and ADRs and FP reservations made and it’s disappointing. I get that some people feel they are at low risk so they want to get back to life. Things will open, but if we go too fast it could lead to a setback and more damage to the economy. We need to stick to the plan and use data and statistics, not emotion to make decisions on re-opening.
I'm with you 98% here. Lol. I believe that medical data is enough to do what we need to do now. But I've thought about how a lot of Disney visitors are in that target group. I'm not saying open everything up instantly and stupidly or base it in me going nuts inside, but based on the pure numbers I see. So I agree that we should not base things on emotion. I do see a lot of emotions on here disguised as logic. Ha. You, however, have a well thought out concept and grasp on the situation and I respect that even if we slightly disagree.

DVCakaCarlF

I'm with you 98% here. Lol. I believe that medical data is enough to do what we need to do now. But I've thought about how a lot of Disney visitors are in that target group. I'm not saying open everything up instantly and stupidly or base it in me going nuts inside, but based on the pure numbers I see. So I agree that we should not base things on emotion. I do see a lot of emotions on here disguised as logic. Ha. You, however, have a well thought out concept and grasp on the situation and I respect that even if we slightly disagree.
Humans are emotional beings...99% of the population’s decisions are clearly based off this assumption.

Epcotbob

I’m not sure we know much about this virus at all. What we do know is not based on scientific studies but observational data which can be right or very wrong. It will be 6 months to years until we know definitely exactly how this virus works and why some people at the same age and with the same underlying conditions are asymptomatic while others end up in the ICU on a ventilator. I’m not interested in debating that. We can agree to disagree on how much we know.

From the perspective of WDW and the travel and leisure economy in general, 20% of the adult population is over 65, close to 1/3 of adults have high blood pressure, 20% have diabetes, 15-20% have asthma, 30-40% of the adult population is obese. Some of those things cross each other with older people who have high blood pressure and diabetes. If you then factor in people who directly care for a high risk person (someone who takes care of or lives with their elderly parent, the parent of a kid with asthma, etc) you may get to over half the population. The point of all of this is WDW and the travel economy in general can’t be sustained long term with half the customers sitting out. The biggest false narrative going is that the government stay at home orders tanked the economy. The pandemic and the virus tanked it.

Even if the government opened everything up you can’t force people to show up. What’s best for the economy (and WDW in general) is for a slow and steady opening. That’s the best chance to get people comfortable with coming back. I get that people have trips booked and ADRs and FP reservations made and it’s disappointing. I get that some people feel they are at low risk so they want to get back to life. Things will open, but if we go too fast it could lead to a setback and more damage to the economy. We need to stick to the plan and use data and statistics, not emotion to make decisions on re-opening.

Good observations, there is still a lot we don’t know. As the re-opening goes on we find an unsustainable uptick in cases, but we might not....we can speculate, but no one knows. We may find Florida was foolhardy for opening too early, but it’s quite possible that everything will turn out fine and it was right and smart for them to get the ball rolling.

DVCakaCarlF

They will have to notices up before you get to the parking booths.
I agree, I’m just amazed how many people show up at 11:00 at the TTC to buy tickets, forget their FL proof of residency, didn’t realize their coupon didn’t work, why are prices so high, what is park hopper, why doesn’t the monorail go to HS, where’s grandma, and so on...

These people literally back up the entire process.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good observations, there is still a lot we don’t know. As the re-opening goes on we find an unsustainable uptick in cases, but we might not....we can speculate, but no one knows. We may find Florida was foolhardy for opening too early, but it’s quite possible that everything will turn out fine and it was right and smart for them to get the ball rolling.
Just my opinion, but so far I think Florida seems to be following a decent plan. Like you said we won’t know for sure until after the fact. So far so good.

CLEtoWDW

Yet another encouraging study. Herd immunity may be closer than originally estimated.

Attachments

• 95B82196-97B9-4904-87DE-E4A6D56068CA.png
    95B82196-97B9-4904-87DE-E4A6D56068CA.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 127

bartholomr4

Who is the “Well Being Trust and the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care”?

Launched by Providence St. Joseph Health in 2016 as an independent 501(c)(3) public charity with an initial seed endowment of $100 million plus an additional $30 million to be invested in California from 2017 to 2019

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Launched by Providence St. Joseph Health in 2016 as an independent 501(c)(3) public charity with an initial seed endowment of $100 million plus an additional $30 million to be invested in California from 2017 to 2019
Thank you. I’ll wait for a more official source. As nice as it would be, anyone can claim facts nowerdays. Such is the power of the internet for better or for worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom