WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrConbon

This is false. CityWalk makes money. Regardless, UO has announced nothing in regards to opening anything.
When did I ever saw Citywalk doesn’t make money? It doesn’t matter if Universal announced anything. Multiple locations at Citywalk have told their team members to prepare to return to work May 11th.

Getachew

When did I ever saw Citywalk doesn’t make money? It doesn’t matter if Universal announced anything. Multiple locations at Citywalk have told their team members to prepare to return to work May 11th.

And this is based on what? twitter? The same twitter accounts are saying they will be open in full 6 days from now.

MrConbon

And this is based on what? twitter? The same twitter accounts are saying they will be open in full 6 days from now.

Um no? My source is knowing multiple people who work at Citywalk and then being told that the current plan is go back to work May 11th

Getachew

Um no? My source is knowing multiple people who work at Citywalk and then being told that the current plan is go back to work May 11th

"Going back to work", doesn't equate to everything will be open by the 11th. Shanghai Disney CM's were working over a month already, and the opening is the 11th. Last official announcement UO made with regards to everything, including City Walk, was they were closed through May 31st. Nothing you've stated has changed that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrConbon

"Going back to work", doesn't equate to everything will be open by the 11th. Shanghai Disney CM's were working over a month already, and the opening is the 11th. Last official announcement UO made with regards to everything, including City Walk, was they were closed through May 31st. Nothing you've stated has changed that.
Never said that everything would be open by the 11th. How about you don’t put words in my mouth? I said they are returning to work May 11th. They wouldn’t be returning to work if an opening wasn’t expected sometime shortly after.

Last edited by a moderator:

Getachew

Never said that everything would be open by the 11th. How about you don’t put words in my mouth? I said they are returning to work May 11th. They wouldn’t be returning to work if an opening wasn’t expected sometime shortly after.

So it could be after May 31st, as they originally said. Gotcha. The articles linked said everything was expected to open in CityWalk next Monday. Regardless, as pointed out, CityWalk has nothing to do with the parks.

MrConbon

So it could be after May 31st, as they originally said. Gotcha. The articles linked said everything was expected to open in CityWalk next Monday. Regardless, as pointed it, CityWalk has nothing to do with the parks.
It could be but that would be a huge waste of finances to have a server at a restaurant show up to work for weeks and be paid for wiping down an unused table for the thousandth time. Never mentioned anything about any articles. Citywalk is directly connected to the parks. They’re owned by Universal. “Nothing to do with the parks” is laughable. It’s a part of the resort.

TrojanUSC

It could be but that would be a huge waste of finances to have a server at a restaurant show up to work for weeks and be paid for wiping down an unused table for the thousandth time. Never mentioned anything about any articles. Citywalk is directly connected to the parks. They’re owned by Universal. “Nothing to do with the parks” is laughable. It’s a part of the resort.

Again, I ask you, what is your reasoning for Disneytown opening for many weeks prior to the parks reopening?

Getachew

You don't know what their plans are, what protocols and specific training they may need under these new circumstances. And regardless, a few restaurants in City Walk calling back workers doesn't prove anything with regards to a full opening. Also, with regards to the parks, you seem to be missing the point. Even Disney today indicated opening Springs (they didn't say Springs, but it's obvious what they meant by "retail stores and restaurants" before the parks).

TrojanUSC

This is painful. Please. They are ramping up to open the parks. That’s obvious. You and your stupid “gotcha” moments are trying too hard. They are going to open and based on timelines, it will be soon

It is still illegal in Florida to open. You do realize that right?

HansGruber

I'm simply commenting on your conclusion to say that even if we don't have a big change in our understanding of the virus, there's still a decent chance that WDW will open before November, vaccine or not. Whether it should or not can be debated, but I think an opening past your proposed timeline is getting into worst-case scenario territory.
Your entire response hasn't progressed the conversation nor does it validate why you believe the park will open by November.

I'm stating the obvious that opening the park will lead to an increase in infections. Disney and the medical community have no way to counter or combat this. This is precisely the reason why we have all been quarantined for the last 2 months! Until they do, there is no reason to even attempt to open the park.

Imagineer45

Apparently, you didn't read my entire post (conveniently quoting only the most polarizing part)....

As we currently understand the virus, reopening the park will most likely lead to an increase in infection rate. What does "de-escalation" have to do with this?! Mitigation methods are a short term solution until a long term solution can be discovered. We currently don't have any long term solutions.
Flattening the curve through social distancing was intended to prevent an initial rush on the hospitals, overwhelming the entire system. Lessening social interaction leads to slower spread. With a flattened curve, the same number of people get sick, but over a larger period of time, therefore allowing the hospitals to be able to cope with the number of patients at all times and never have to turn anyone away seeking lifesaving treatment. The idea of socially distancing until there is a vaccine was not discussed at all until more recently, but that has always been completely unrealistic from an economical point of view.

If DS opens, it will be a small reopening of only limited restaurants to appease third party operators. I have a feeling they won’t want to promote that given the unknowns and what that says about the parks.
Shanghai opened Disneytown almost exactly two months before the proposed SDL opening date. If WDW is truly shooting for a July 4th opening, DS would likely open soon to follow Shanghai's example. There have been some signs that it will open soon, as Florida has loosened restrictions and one of the garages opened. Tenants will likely make the final push in either direction based on how other restaurants and shops perform in the area.

Citywalk frankly is not a draw. There’s no point in opening up Citywalk with a Starbucks and a few other restaurants if the plan isn’t to open up Universal parks shortly after. Nobody is gonna be going directly to Citywalk for a Starbucks.
CityWalk Orlando is popular among locals, more than Disney Springs from what I have heard. I do not live in Orlando, but my friends who do say that CityWalk, and Universal in general, is preferred by the locals over Disney Springs, and WDW, due to convenience and price.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Yes, theme parks are Phase 2.
Yeah, did you mean 1?
Flattening the curve through social distancing was intended to prevent an initial rush on the hospitals, overwhelming the entire system. Lessening social interaction leads to slower spread. With a flattened curve, the same number of people get sick, but over a larger period of time, therefore allowing the hospitals to be able to cope with the number of patients at all times and never have to turn anyone away seeking lifesaving treatment. The idea of socially distancing until there is a vaccine was not discussed at all until more recently, but that has always been completely unrealistic from an economical point of view.

Shanghai opened Disneytown almost exactly two months before the proposed SDL opening date. If WDW is truly shooting for a July 4th opening, DS would likely open soon to follow Shanghai's example. There have been some signs that it will open soon, as Florida has loosened restrictions and one of the garages opened. Tenants will likely make the final push in either direction based on how other restaurants and shops perform in the area.

CityWalk Orlando is popular among locals, more than Disney Springs from what I have heard. I do not live in Orlando, but my friends who do say that CityWalk, and Universal in general, is preferred by the locals over Disney Springs, and WDW, due to convenience and price.
Yeah, I've been saying the same thing about stay at home orders were to flatten the curve to protect the hospitals from being overrun. They're ready now and know more about what their dealing with all the time. It was never the goal to stay inside long enough to stop the spread completely until recently. But I'll wear a mask, wash hands too much, whatever. Being smart about getting out.

VaderTron

I agree with you but don't use the bad publicity idea as reasoning around here. You'll get a rehash of where the virus was picked up, how you can get flu anywhere, how people should always wash their hands, etc. and that people will follow social distancing and mask-wearing guidelines (should the latter be in place). Because everyone knows that humans all get along and do the right thing.
Today I was about to abandon my cart and leave our local Walmart. They have stickers all over the store floor showing what 6ft of distance is, encouraging masks, and they even have stickers on the floor for one-way cart and foot traffic in aisles. They even put DO NOT ENTER signs at the exit side of each one-way aisle. What is the reality? Half or more of all customers don't wear masks, people are all up in your space taking stuff from shelves when you are trying to select items. They all come in whatever side of the aisle they want. If you wait 6ft back from a shelf while someone else selects an item, two others walk around you and go up to the same shelf...only to be followed by more until you give up and move to another area and wait to come back. People are picking their nose, rubbing their face/nose/eyes, and coughing without covering their mouth. It's like a germaphobe's nightmare! Why do people think that everyone is all of a sudden going to be totally different than the gross, disrespectful, selfish morons that make up a large segment of society?

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Yeah, did you mean 1?

No. Phase 2. Orange County's proposal was that they could open in Phase 1, but the STATE says large theme parks can not open until Phase 2.

Phase 2 of Florida's reopening plan states: "Theme parks may consider re-opening with capacity limits, strict social distancing and proper measures to clean and disinfect." However, with phase 1 beginning today, it is unclear when phase 2 could be put into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom