WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

I think they are purposely being non-committal on the parks. Wait and see approach......
I agree with being non-committal but they need to stop taking new reservations til they have a more firm date. They are the only theme park company doing that. Universal maybe taking reservations but they haven't been putting dates out giving people false hope.

Touchdown

What is the evil in taking reservations? They have no cancellation fees and if you don’t book your travel with an entity that doesn’t have the same that’s on you. As I’ve said, I have a reservation in late June, I also have a plane booked (Southwest.) I do not expect this trip to occur, but if it’s canceled so be it, I’ll get my money back. No harm, no foul.

Epcotbob

I agree with being non-committal but they need to stop taking new reservations til they have a more firm date. They are the only theme park company doing that. Universal maybe taking reservations but they haven't been putting dates out giving people false hope.

Yep, agreed. I think they want to have it opened by then....just don't to commit yet.

havoc315

There won’t be any lawsuits...Congress and other legislative bodies will waive any liability by law. After 9/11, no one could sue the airlines by law.

Congress has limited jurisdiction here, it's more a state issue. Whether the state of Florida will grant liability.. they haven't yet. And it's not something that's easy to do retroactively. In other words, if Disney opens BEFORE such an immunity statute is passed, then it wouldn't necessarily shield Disney. And critically, any "absolute" liability would likely be a violation of Florida's state constitution, though I fully admit I'm not well versed in Florida state law.
Typically, when immunity is given, it's given with conditions attached and alternative remedies. For example, an employee can't sue an employer for a work-place injury BUT they can pursue remedy through the worker's compensation system, which still makes the employer pay.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I’ll be interested to see what happens with DLP. Europa Park is set to open May 29th assuming the German government doesn’t backtrack on their phases. I think that may force their hand since they’re easily the biggest competitor to DLP.

Getachew

I’ll be interested to see what happens with DLP. Europa Park is set to open May 29th assuming the German government doesn’t backtrack on their phases. I think that may force their hand since they’re easily the biggest competitor to DLP.

I saw something earlier about maybe mid July? Don't quote me on that.

Higginbotham587

Just about every word of the below is wrong. Congress can do what it likes to shield public accommodations from liability, it can do so retroactively, as can Florida, and there aren’t typically conditions. The 911 Act cited by another is a good example. Limited airline liability to the extent of their insurance coverage.

Congress has limited jurisdiction here, it's more a state issue. Whether the state of Florida will grant liability.. they haven't yet. And it's not something that's easy to do retroactively. In other words, if Disney opens BEFORE such an immunity statute is passed, then it wouldn't necessarily shield Disney. And critically, any "absolute" liability would likely be a violation of Florida's state constitution, though I fully admit I'm not well versed in Florida state law.
Typically, when immunity is given, it's given with conditions attached and alternative remedies. For example, an employee can't sue an employer for a work-place injury BUT they can pursue remedy through the worker's compensation system, which still makes the employer pay.

DVCakaCarlF

I’ll both admit and agree that I’m not clearly versed in the applicable statutes at both the state and federal level, but I don’t see a world where people can sue employers, businesses, etc. over getting infected with the corona virus.

Furthermore, if Disney expects any payout from business disruption insurance, they will need Congress to act.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

I’ll both admit and agree that I’m not clearly versed in the applicable statues at both the state and federal level, but I don’t see a world where people can sue employers, businesses, etc. over getting infected with the corona virus.
It should come down to reasonable precautions. I'm opposed to blanket indemnity, but I believe that a business should merely have to demonstrate that it followed the applicable guidelines for their locality and type of establishment. We shouldn't be letting companies off the hook for deliberately endangering their employees and/or customers (i.e. failing to provide required protective gear or forcing sick employees to come back to work), but we also shouldn't let them be held at fault for accidental exposure or frivolous lawsuits.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I saw something earlier about maybe mid July? Don't quote me on that.

That's what I've seen as well but if Europa can open with little issues, I can see Disney trying to work political pressure on the Paris Prefecture/French government to let them open early. It's hard to have your biggest European competitor (and actually a higher ranked theme park from my understanding - maybe @marni1971 can weigh in on this as I'm not well versed on the Europa/Efteling/DLP debate) open and let your park just sit idle. I understand they're in different countries in different stages of the pandemic, but still.

I dont know what, if anything, but I was just alerted (DVC - BLT - 6/7-6/14) to begin Check-In and finish my Magic Band order that I was unable to do this 2 days ago........not sure what this means, but thought I would mention it to the group......

That is very interesting to say the least.

Getachew

That's what I've seen as well but if Europa can open with little issues, I can see Disney trying to work political pressure on the Paris Prefecture/French government to let them open early. It's hard to have your biggest European competitor (and actually a higher ranked theme park from my understanding - maybe @marni1971 can weigh in on this as I'm not well versed on the Europa/Efteling/DLP debate) open and let your park just sit idle. I understand they're in different countries in different stages of the pandemic, but still.

That is very interesting to say the least.

I think Disney is more interested in the actual data and what health experts think more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom