WDW Promotions! NOT THAT GREAT

tterrag24

:veryconfu

Why does it seem that right now the promotions are horrible compared to two years ago when they had buy 4 get 3 free? Am i mistaken ?
Im looking to take my family (girlfriend & daughter (3) ) to disney world this summer and compared to the rate we paid in the summer of 09 its CRAZY?
Is it me or did prices go up???? Way up.

I know the economy is in better shape then it was then but:( IDK
maybe im just being cheap

360rico1

Disney travel agency say they do that as well but they don't they will refund your money and you have to rebook and what they don't tell you is that your refund will show up on their next billing cycle which could be up to 3 months.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Is this smart of Disney? I don't know.

It's a principle known as "price discrimination." The people who book far in advance (like yourself) will pay a premium to do so. The discounts often come late in the process where selection may be limited and Disney is scrambling to fill rooms. If you got your rooms for $150 a night when you're willing to pay $250, WDW loses $100 per night. With this system, the people willing and able to pay $250 do so, and Disney can gradually cut prices and introduce promotions as the willingness to pay wanes.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Disney travel agency say they do that as well but they don't they will refund your money and you have to rebook and what they don't tell you is that your refund will show up on their next billing cycle which could be up to 3 months.

Hi Rico, This is not exactly correct. I know that Disney, and Kingdom Konsultant Travel will absolutely change your reservation over to take advantage of any discounts that may come out. Disney will do it on request, we tend to do it proactively. The only time we have to cancel a reservation and rebook it is if it is a different type of reservation. So if you have booked a room only reservation and want to take advantage of a package discount, yes we have to cancel the room only booking and book a new package reservation. If you book a package from the beginning there is no need for us to cancel and rebook it. We can simply apply the discount to your existing reservation, based on availability. Your reservation number will even stay the same!!! As far as who else has this policy, that does differ agency to agency so be sure to ask. I know of at least two others that definitely look out for their clients in the same way we do so they are out there. Hope this is helpful!!! Marie

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The only DVC rooms available have to be cash rooms. I have been looking to change resorts from SSR for 5 months and all the other DVC resort's have been completely booked for the week of Dec 04 - 11 at least on points. The week after is no problem. I really hope they all stay over at WWS since it is Pop Warner week!
Tell me about it. I procrastinated on getting my room for my 12/3-12/5 trip and now it looks like I will be staying off property.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The only DVC rooms available have to be cash rooms. I have been looking to change resorts from SSR for 5 months and all the other DVC resort's have been completely booked for the week of Dec 04 - 11 at least on points. The week after is no problem. I really hope they all stay over at WWS since it is Pop Warner week!

Absolutely true!!!! One of my friends owns DVC and months ago there wasnt a room to be had through DVC points at any of the properties on property. She ended up switching to one of the Disney resort collection to get those dates. As Richard has been saying though, there hasnt been a reasonably priced room on property for quite a while now. Sorry!!! Marie

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Master Yoda and belle, why is it so bust the week of Dec4 -11? We arrive on friday the 10th, will it be busy that week of the 12?

Having been that week a few years back, I just don't think it's a "secret" anymore. It's less expensive to go that week than Christmas, but you still get the same shows and decorations. The slow seasons have become pretty much non-existent at Disney.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda and belle, why is it so bust the week of Dec4 -11? We arrive on friday the 10th, will it be busy that week of the 12?

Having been that week a few years back, I just don't think it's a "secret" anymore. It's less expensive to go that week than Christmas, but you still get the same shows and decorations. The slow seasons have become pretty much non-existent at Disney.
The captain pretty much summed it up. Pop Warner is also that weekend which is filling up at least one of the value resorts.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The captain pretty much summed it up. Pop Warner is also that weekend which is filling up at least one of the value resorts.

Emphasis on at least one. I know All Star Sports and usually at least one of the other All Stars are slated for this as well as at least part of PO Riverside and possibly French Quarter. Marie

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

This thread scares me a bit. I've kept our Poly reservation for July, in hopes that by January I'll have either paid enough off or get a Bounceback offer while at WL in January. If not, I'm going to switch (or attempt to) to Riverside. If it was just a few days, I wouldn't worry about it. But given it's 16, I'm afraid it may be sold out.

Hey Kidd. I hate for you to miss out on Poly. Maybe another idea would be to book a 2nd reservation at the moderate without cancelling Poly. Just do the deposit. When discounts do finally come around for your travel dates then weigh the options of what you have, see what you can get discounted, and cancel what you don't want. If your Poly ressie is a package you can cancel outside that 45 day window. I'm sure any discounts will be announced well ahead of that. Just a thought. I was sorta sad when you said you were scared and wanted to switch now. Cross that bridge when the time comes if you can. So much can happen between now & then. Ya know? Just sayin. :wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Hey Kidd. I hate for you to miss out on Poly. Maybe another idea would be to book a 2nd reservation at the moderate without cancelling Poly. Just do the deposit. When discounts do finally come around for your travel dates then weigh the options of what you have, see what you can get discounted, and cancel what you don't want. If your Poly ressie is a package you can cancel outside that 45 day window. I'm sure any discounts will be announced well ahead of that. Just a thought. I was sorta sad when you said you were scared and wanted to switch now. Cross that bridge when the time comes if you can. So much can happen between now & then. Ya know? Just sayin. :wave:

I thought of doing that. It just seemed wrong to hold 2 rooms, knowing I'd only be using 1 of them, know what I mean? Sort of like having 2 ADR's for the same time. Truth be told, I really don't know what else to do to be 100% covered.

And don't feel sad. This isn't a bad problem to have. I'm grateful I get to go to Disney every year. I have nothing to whine about.

Upvote 0

BoardwalkGlenn

Also wondering this. :shrug:

Was this Pin Code through June 2011 a room discount? Any blackout dates?

Thanks,

Yep...here's what mine said...
And for stays most nights 1/2/11–4/16/11 and 5/1/11–6/5/11, you can enjoy great savings on a stay at select Disney Resort hotels—making it easy to experience a world of magic...and to make a world of memories. Plus, since the lines can be shorter and the weather may be more comfortable, these are also the times when you could enjoy the Walt Disney World experience most.

40% at Deluxe Villas (30% at BCV)
35% at Deluxe (25% at GF)
30% at Moderate (15% at POFQ)
25% at Value (15% at ASMovies)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I you are around we will be at the wishes dessert party on Saturday the 4th. Always looking for company.
Sadly I will be at Tokyo dining that night blubbering like a baby....errr I mean getting fireworks debris out of my eyes during the peace on earth tag.:lookaroun I am still fleshing out the details but I will probably be at MK on Friday night and at DHS on Sunday. Send me a PM and we will see if we can line something up.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I thought of doing that. It just seemed wrong to hold 2 rooms, knowing I'd only be using 1 of them, know what I mean? Sort of like having 2 ADR's for the same time. Truth be told, I really don't know what else to do to be 100% covered.

And don't feel sad. This isn't a bad problem to have. I'm grateful I get to go to Disney every year. I have nothing to whine about.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the double room booking thing. You'll be canceling well in advance & someone will pick up the discarded room. You definitely have a good perspective going. I have a feeling things will work out for you.
:wave:

Upvote 0

tizzo

:veryconfu

Why does it seem that right now the promotions are horrible compared to two years ago when they had buy 4 get 3 free? Am i mistaken ?
Im looking to take my family (girlfriend & daughter (3) ) to disney world this summer and compared to the rate we paid in the summer of 09 its CRAZY?
Is it me or did prices go up???? Way up.

I know the economy is in better shape then it was then but:( IDK
maybe im just being cheap

Going back to the original question (in case anyone cares) - I remember the 4/3 deal getting a lot of attention when it was first announced, suggesting that it was unprecedented, or at least very rare. So it's not really reasonable to expect to continue to be able to get as good a deal this much later.

Also, I don't know how widely this would have been reported nationally but locally it was news because WDW is such a large employer, but while the 4/3 deal was successful at filling both beds and parks, it wasn't all that great for the bottom line. They're obviously giving up some revenue to offer the deal, but from what I've heard they expected to make up for it in dining and merchandise, and that just didn't happen. In other words, it is my understanding that 4/3 was a failure from Disney's perspective.

Anyway, just sharing what I've heard.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Going back to the original question (in case anyone cares) - I remember the 4/3 deal getting a lot of attention when it was first announced, suggesting that it was unprecedented, or at least very rare. So it's not really reasonable to expect to continue to be able to get as good a deal this much later.

Also, I don't know how widely this would have been reported nationally but locally it was news because WDW is such a large employer, but while the 4/3 deal was successful at filling both beds and parks, it wasn't all that great for the bottom line. They're obviously giving up some revenue to offer the deal, but from what I've heard they expected to make up for it in dining and merchandise, and that just didn't happen. In other words, it is my understanding that 4/3 was a failure from Disney's perspective.

Anyway, just sharing what I've heard.
I have heard similar things. The 4/3 got people to the parks in droves but the guests that came did not exactly open their wallets.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I have heard similar things. The 4/3 got people to the parks in droves but the guests that came did not exactly open their wallets.

We did the 4/3 in January '09 when we stayed at the Contemporary. I might've saved a bundle on the room but we made up for it spending elsewhere. That was our 2nd most expensive trip to date. Golly, if we hadn't been there it might've been waaaaay worse on Disney's bottom-line. :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom