WDW Pirates Updates *VIDEO and PICTURES*

XSTech

Original Poster
I just returned from the Magic Kingdom after riding the newly-updated Pirates of the Caribbean twice! :) Soft openings were today (as rumored) and the wait time was around 30 minutes to get on. The ride did shut down for 10 minutes while I was in line (both times) but everything was fully functional when I rode.

Here's a 640x480 high-quality video of the new show elements:
http://www.distantcreations.com/insidethemagic (See top section called "WDW Pirates Update Video")
pirates.jpg

Tune in to Sunday, July 2nd's show for a binaural recording of the ride and discussion!

And here are pictures ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/insidethemagic for high-res copies):

178432513_de77393841.jpg

178432541_c4e6a219ec.jpg

178432546_548f2a896b.jpg

179281295_8a5330d17f.jpg

179281298_668d4b8e23.jpg

179281300_7b2283a696.jpg

clarkstallings

I'm not a fan of the outside signs. I liked the simple, conservative, non-cartoony signage. I always thought it was neat that such a great attraction was in such a buttoned-up building.

dxwwf3

clarkstallings said:
I'm not a fan of the outside signs. I liked the simple, conservative, non-cartoony signage. I always thought it was neat that such a great attraction was in such a buttoned-up building.

I can see that argument as well. And I do miss the parrot on the outside with the old signs.

I don't miss them enough to where I would prefer that over what was just done, but I can see your viewpoint.

clarkstallings

Now I can articulate why specifically I'm not a fan of the signage. I couldn't with my earlier post and had to dwell on it. The new tattered signs basically say upfront "This is going to be an Adventure!" The old signs didn't give many clues and helped take you from being in this old spanish fort, getting on this boat, then finding yourself smackdab in the middle of the pirate chaos. The new signs show chaos from the beginning by being dynamic looking with the holes and tatteredness.

CaptainMichael

clarkstallings said:
Now I can articulate why specifically I'm not a fan of the signage. I couldn't with my earlier post and had to dwell on it. The new tattered signs basically say upfront "This is going to be an Adventure!" The old signs didn't give many clues and helped take you from being in this old spanish fort, getting on this boat, then finding yourself smackdab in the middle of the pirate chaos. The new signs show chaos from the beginning by being dynamic looking with the holes and tatteredness.
See, I'm the opposite. I like the aura of forboding portrayed by the newly painted facade and the signs.

clarkstallings

STR8FAN2005 said:
See, I'm the opposite. I like the aura of forboding portrayed by the newly painted facade and the signs.

Having too much forboding though prior to the experience is like showing your hand. A classic Disney theme, is getting yourself into a bad situation through a normal one. How many attractions are based on the premise of "Everything's Fine, but something went wrong?" Though our Haunted Mansion, when in good repair, is superior to Disneyland's, I still like their exterior facade that has the tame look to it. I'm a fan of deception I guess.:drevil: The imagineers of today have less tact than the imagineers of yesterday. I still haven't forgiven Tony Baxter for bastardizing pirates ten years ago.

T-1MILLION

clarkstallings said:
Having too much forboding though prior to the experience is like showing your hand. A classic Disney theme, is getting yourself into a bad situation through a normal one. How many attractions are based on the premise of "Everything's Fine, but something went wrong?" Though our Haunted Mansion, when in good repair, is superior to Disneyland's, I still like their exterior facade that has the tame look to it. I'm a fan of deception I guess.:drevil:

Well of course it is classic and just basic storytelling. You have a plot, you have the antagonist..ect..ect..

I like some of the changes but I downright hate some of them to be honest. Fo the most part it seems good though.

All I really want is the parrot and jolly roger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom