WDW Picture of the Day (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIU EE

Just bought my first camera and took it to the world. I'm going to attempt to post a few pictures since a few of the hundreds taken came out kind of cool! Hope it works...

EDIT: Can someone tell me why the picture is so large when I have it saved as 320x240 in photobucket? Thanks.

2nd EDIT: It seems to have fixed itself.....curious.

Here is my ghostly bride in front of the Haunted Mansion.
P1000558.jpg

WDWFigment

A camera that is no longer on the market, impossible to find if you want to replace some inventory, and goes through one lifespan in about a month, yet we use it for years...a Nikon D70 and D70s.

But, as I've mentioned before, it isn't the equipment, but the photographer that makes or breaks a photo. A skilled photographer with a point and shoot can take a better photo than a hack with the fanciest DSLR there is.

I know the photographer is what makes the primary difference, but I think in my case, that's not the problem (or not the main problem, at least). My point and shoot doesn't have manual settings, and in bright light situations, I always have 'edge halos' (I'm sure there is different jargon for this...where the edges aren't sharp near whites. I end up spending considerable amounts of time fixing the pictures in Photoshop, even with pictures where I used a tripod, timer, and appropriate 'best shot' setting. I think a nice DSLR would help with my white balance issues, give me flexibility of manual settings, and also give the images more detail.

I guess what I'm thinking is that I've hit a wall with my P&S, and want a nice entry-level DSLR to improve some technical shortcomings.

I've heard Canon is coming out with a new XSI, and consequently, the XTI should start dropping in price. Anyone have experience with it?

sissa216

I guess what I'm thinking is that I've hit a wall with my P&S, and want a nice entry-level DSLR to improve some technical shortcomings.
I was in the same boat as you. If you're in the learning and growing stages (like I am), I decided against an entry level dslr in favor of the panasonic lumix dmc fz50.. I've only had it a few weeks (was my birthday present) and I'm impressed so far. I researched for months and months before deciding on it.
It has the manual controls I needed, and has 55mm threading to accomodate additional lenses and filters as well (it has a pretty decent zoom to begin with). It's been running $460-$490 at B&H and Amazon. I've picked myself up a few fun filters to play around with, and a remote shutter release :D

photoflight

I always have 'edge halos' (I'm sure there is different jargon for this...where the edges aren't sharp near whites.

You can run into bad cases of fringing and/or chromatic aberration with an SLR just as easily as any P&S. The big factor is the lens. Some lenses are prone to it, some aren't.

It pays to shop around and research individual lenses not just brand names, focal lengths, and prices. Sometimes great deals look great dollar-wise, but quality-wise you may be better off spending a few extra bucks.

There is a fairly good and very popular wide angle zoom on the market that runs in the $450 range but under very high contrast situations can exhibit some very noticeable CA (particularly around tree branches on a bright sky, sharp white edges, etc). For most people it isn't an issue, but those that really need that extra quality will shop (and sometimes pay) accordingly.

KeeKee

I know the photographer is what makes the primary difference, but I think in my case, that's not the problem (or not the main problem, at least). My point and shoot doesn't have manual settings, and in bright light situations, I always have 'edge halos' (I'm sure there is different jargon for this...where the edges aren't sharp near whites. I end up spending considerable amounts of time fixing the pictures in Photoshop, even with pictures where I used a tripod, timer, and appropriate 'best shot' setting. I think a nice DSLR would help with my white balance issues, give me flexibility of manual settings, and also give the images more detail.

I've heard Canon is coming out with a new XSI, and consequently, the XTI should start dropping in price. Anyone have experience with it?

It's all about the glass.

sissa216

There is a fairly good and very popular wide angle zoom on the market that runs in the $450 range
one day, one day. This right here is the reason I kept myself from going dslr (well that, and the fact that I don't know enough what I'm doing yet :lol:).
A few hundred here and there, a few more hundred more... once I have enough skill to justify it

WDWFigment

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be spending $400 per lens. I'm a student, so the income isn't exactly there for that kind of thing.

As for the camera, the only one I'm really considering is an XTI, and it's on sale at Dell right now for $489 @ Dell with a 18-55mm lens.

That's a good price right now, but people on slick deals and fatwallet are saying that the price may drop in the coming months when Canon releases the XSI. Decisions, decisions...

alilance

Just bought my first camera and took it to the world. I'm going to attempt to post a few pictures since a few of the hundreds taken came out kind of cool! Hope it works...

EDIT: Can someone tell me why the picture is so large when I have it saved as 320x240 in photobucket? Thanks.

2nd EDIT: It seems to have fixed itself.....curious.

Here is my ghostly bride in front of the Haunted Mansion.
P1000558.jpg
Wow! That's kinda spooky! All three "people" in this pic look like ghosts! Especially that guy/kid whatever on the right!! WIERD!! Cool PIC:animwink:

photoflight

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be spending $400 per lens. I'm a student, so the income isn't exactly there for that kind of thing.

The problem is, if you buy an SLR and buy cheap lenses, you may get worse results than buying a decent $250 P&S camera. Or - you might research and find something that is bargain quality.

The camera is only a very small part of the equation - the glass is the quality part.

KeeKee

As for the camera, the only one I'm really considering is an XTI, and it's on sale at Dell right now for $489 @ Dell with a 18-55mm lens.

That's a good price right now, but people on slick deals and fatwallet are saying that the price may drop in the coming months when Canon releases the XSI. Decisions, decisions...
Have you considered buy used equipment? B&H PhotoVideo sells nice used equipment that might get you into a DSLR right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom