WDW Permits Part 4

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lots of mechanical work all over property.

A Model Room Rehab at the Wilderness Lodge. What's this about?

And most humorous...El Pirata: Signage. A little late with our paperwork, are we? :)
The Company they are using is Thor, which is based in Las Vegas, but they have offices in Orlando. From their portfolio they do quite a bit of hotel work. My guess is they might be doing a few mock ups for a room refresh but on the site plan they are pointing to the lobby. :shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
My guess is they might be doing a few mock ups for a room refresh but on the site plan they are pointing to the lobby. :shrug:
Yeah, that's what it is according to some info I have.
Looks to be a model room for an upcoming room refurb.
Nothing to do with the loby.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Hard to say since I'm not sure what the rooms look like now.
I googled it and what I see looks like what the remodel will look like....:shrug:

Maybe they're just making some functional or ADA upgrades, or perhaps just new finishes and furnishings.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Did I miss the Tiki Room permits somewhere in the list? I know they are doing work in there...

I don't remember anything specific for it. I'm guessing they're considering it "repair" or "emergency" type work - which typically doesn't need a permit.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Was there not one about replacing the floor in the VIP lounge of the building?

Well, yes, there was that one. I am assuming NoChesterHester was specifically referring to permits related to the fire damage - of which there have been none, to the best of my knowledge.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, yes, there was that one. I am assuming NoChesterHester was specifically referring to permits related to the fire damage - of which there have been none, to the best of my knowledge.
From what I remember the fire damage was pretty minimal. The majority of the damage was caused by the sprinkler system which was what that floor permit was more than likely due to. Either way we both know that permits that would give us insight to a show change rarely make it to being scanned for the online archives or get filed with a description like "painting and misc work."

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
From what I remember the fire damage was pretty minimal. The majority of the damage was caused by the sprinkler system which was what that floor permit was more than likely due to. Either way we both know that permits that would give us insight to a show change rarely make it to being scanned for the online archives or get filed with a description like "painting and misc work."

Hmmm. I had just assumed the "floor" permit was unrelated and coincidental. I don't even know where the VIP lounge is. I DID know it was more water damage than fire damage (often the case).

But you're right. We don't usually reap the benefit of reading about ride/show refurbs. They must have lumped everything they're doing into one tidy little permit.

Brian_WDW74

The building is called 2011-1 and it's labelled WDI.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm curious about Project 2011-1A, which I haven't seen anyone talk about. They're installing three construction trailers, a new parking area, hardscape, utilities and a surface water management system (ie, a retention pond) near the current trailer compound next to the Stolport.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I'm curious about Project 2011-1A, which I haven't seen anyone talk about. They're installing three construction trailers, a new parking area, hardscape, utilities and a surface water management system (ie, a retention pond) near the current trailer compound next to the Stolport.

Yeah, I saw that one too. They usually only build trailer complexes when they will need Construction Management offices. And the fact that they share a project number tells me that we'll probably see a trailer complex at the south end of Stolport, and then the start of the Villas at the GF soon after.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
03/23/11 Update

One permit today for new conduit and fiber optic cable at the Expo Hall. It has a neat little sketch attached.

They're installing a 72-strand fiber optic cable from a network closet in the newly remodeled area of the Expo Hall to an office in the tunnel.

I honestly cannot comprehend what they'd need a 72-strand fiber optic cable for. That's 36 point-to-point connections, via fiber. They could push the traffic for all of the MK's daily operations over one pair of fiber, so 36 pair to this new meet-n-greet location seems a tad excessive.

Perhaps Disney doesn't believe in copper CAT cable. Maybe they run fiber as far as they possibly can to each location, and then short runs of copper to phone/computer locations.

Otherwise, they must be planning on a LOT of data being moved to/from the Expo Hall in the near future. Maybe they're beefing up their PhotoPass operations in there, and this is to deliver the photos to the kiosks faster.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
03/24/11 Update

Today's permits brought to you by SeaCastle...

...including one called Phase Three - Tents.

So, are they actually going to replace them, or is this a permit for a fix-up, paint-up?

Scott Keating's latest photos make it appear as if they've been extremely careful to protect the tents during demolition. It would make no sense to have not demolished them already unless they're planning on salvaging them. :(

jt04

Today's permits brought to you by SeaCastle...

...including one called Phase Three - Tents.

So, are they actually going to replace them, or is this a permit for a fix-up, paint-up?

Scott Keating's latest photos make it appear as if they've been extremely careful to protect the tents during demolition. It would make no sense to have not demolished them already unless they're planning on salvaging them. :(

I don't see any way the current exteriors could be salvaged. My guess is new exteriors as seen in the concept art.

Oh well. I was particularly pleased with the FLE originally because the tents were going. Foiled again.:fork: Someday though....someday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom