WDW Permits Part 4

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Is this the new hitchhiking ghost experience?

Perhaps. I don't think it's queue-related.

The contractor is InterAmerica Stage Inc. They specialize in stages and lifts and motorized rigging's. Interesting possibilities

http://www.iastage.com/products

Yeah, I googled them after I posted the permit. I can't think of anything they'd have to do with the queue work, so this is definitely interesting. Theatrical lighting, perhaps?

JustInTime

Perhaps. I don't think it's queue-related.

Yeah, I googled them after I posted the permit. I can't think of anything they'd have to do with the queue work, so this is definitely interesting. Theatrical lighting, perhaps?

Well, considering all the smoke around the possibility if us getting new Hitchhiking Ghosts, I think we may have our answer. Edwardtc, I think you should post this in the current thread as well. This rumor is blazing.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=684032&page=6

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Disney’s All-Star Movies
Now – Feb. 11, 2011: The Herbie fountain wet deck will be replaced.

Thanks Buzz, but this type of info might be better suited for the News & Rumors section, since these technically aren't permits.

Just sayin' is all :p

Star Wars Queue?

Hey Tom,

Do you know if the queue layout in the CAD drawing lines up with the current layout? I'm just curious if they are taking out certain features as they no longer line up with the storyline...

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Hey Tom,

Do you know if the queue layout in the CAD drawing lines up with the current layout? I'm just curious if they are taking out certain features as they no longer line up with the storyline...

Unfortunately, I don't have a current layout of the queue, so I can't compare. However, I imagine they're just going to "enhance" the queue, perhaps with NextGen stuff, interactivity, and more contemporary movie artifacts.

We were in the Studios a few times last week and there was no evidence of any work taking place in the queue. It basically just looked "closed".

To be honest, I wouldn't think Star Tours would be the type of attraction that they'd want to put a next gen queue in...at least outside. The inside had plenty of things going on to keep you busy (assuming they don't lose everything). The permit seems to be focusing on the external queue..unless I misread it. I'd be interested to see how quickly they'd want to roll out NextGen.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
To be honest, I wouldn't think Star Tours would be the type of attraction that they'd want to put a next gen queue in...at least outside. The inside had plenty of things going on to keep you busy (assuming they don't lose everything). The permit seems to be focusing on the external queue..unless I misread it. I'd be interested to see how quickly they'd want to roll out NextGen.

You're probably right. I was just guessing. I've only been in the queue once in my life, sometimes in the early 90s...which was when I figured out that my motion sickness tendencies prohibit any future rides on it :hurl:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/07/11 Update

Permits filed for the rock work (interior and exterior) at Mermaid.

Also, a permit filed by an A/V company for Star Tours. Ride related, or queue related?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/09/11 Update

One permit today, but quite a juicy one...

It's listed as MK Expansion - Ride Show Set, and the address is 1320 MK Drive, which has previously been matched to the "Green Shed", which is sitting roughly near Mermaid.

It was filed by Walt Disney Imagineering and Adirondack Scenic is the contractor.

Looks like Mermaid will be having its show scenes installed soon. Progress!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster

NoChesterHester

One permit today, but quite a juicy one...

It's listed as MK Expansion - Ride Show Set, and the address is 1320 MK Drive, which has previously been matched to the "Green Shed", which is sitting roughly near Mermaid.

It was filed by Walt Disney Imagineering and Adirondack Scenic is the contractor.

Looks like Mermaid will be having its show scenes installed soon. Progress!

Tom, are the buildings even dried in yet?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Tom, are the buildings even dried in yet?

Based on recent photos, Mermaid is a lot closer to being enclosed than BatB.

Based on Scott's last photo, Mermaid had it's rubber roof installed, and when I was there last week I saw a significant amount of ductwork on the roof (which wouldn't go on until the roofing was done).

BatB, however, is still just metal decking, and has several building sections that are still just skeletons.

Mermaid also has large openings in its walls where future overhead doors will go, but neither building is climate controlled, and definitely not ready for actual show scenery.

I think they just filed these early, to get the permits over with.

NoChesterHester

I think they just filed these early, to get the permits over with.

Probably. I assume these notices are when the permits are applied for, not when they are issued.

Do you know how long the permit process is in Orlando? I have seen some jurisdictions take six weeks and others issue within a day. Is there a legal reason for filing way ahead of time?

I have often wondered what the review process is for a theme park attraction... Things like; what is the occupancy classification? How do you review something for compliance when most of it is totally proprietary.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Probably. I assume these notices are when the permits are applied for, not when they are issued.

Do you know how long the permit process is in Orlando? I have seen some jurisdictions take six weeks and others issue within a day. Is there a legal reason for filing way ahead of time?

I have often wondered what the review process is for a theme park attraction... Things like; what is the occupancy classification? How do you review something for compliance when most of it is totally proprietary.

The "permits" we're looking at here are actually "Notices of Commencement". They're just forms letting the County know they're starting work. It's like a permit, except it's issued by the Contractor and simply recorded by the county. The Notices are typically valid for a year, meaning you can start the work within one year of the recording. Doing it now just gets that day's task out of the way and behind them.

Since all WDW construction takes place within RCID, that's the "local authority having jurisdiction". RCID reviews the plans and issues the permits. Everything still becomes public record, since RCID is still a public/government entity, but they can probably get away with submitting less information (i.e. no trade secrets).

As far as the review process, it's the same as any other jurisdiction. Someone (WDW, WDI, Contractor) submits the plans, RCID reviews them for code and life safety compliance, and they get a permit.

Proprietary and "secret" information like ride systems may not have to be shown on the submittal plans, since they would most likely not affect life safety. As long as egress methods are met, the building is fully sprinkled, they have rated walls and openings where needed, and everything meets ADA - they're good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom