WDW Parking Fees Poll

How many of you have contacted Disney voicing your concerns?

• Yes, I have

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Yes, got a response

Votes: 23 9.4%
  • No, but plan to

Votes: 76 31.0%
  • No, it doesn't effect me

Votes: 83 33.9%
  • I Don't Care!

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters

DfromATX

No, not just because of the parking issue. It just seems like it isn't going to get any better as far as upcharges and fees in the future, so we thought it would be a good time to just back out and get a refund on the AP's before we use them this year. We have gone many times and had great times, but being on a fixed income, it was getting harder to eat those costs. We had already gone from moderate to value (Pop) to the All-Star resorts, brought most of our own food, etc. in order to still go. I see them starting to charge for ME sometime this year and who knows what else. All the things that they have started charging extra for in the last few years used to be included. They are gouging and it was just time for us to move on.
I'm sure you will have a great time on your trip. Enjoy!

Have you ever been to Universal? It's a lot of fun (and cheaper)! As much as I love Disney, it's not the only vacation destination for us. There are lots of places to go and see. :happy:

OG Runner

Have you ever been to Universal? It's a lot of fun (and cheaper)! As much as I love Disney, it's not the only vacation destination for us. There are lots of places to go and see. :happy:

I am going to Universal in May. ( I went to Disney in January) Unfortunately, on this particular point, they currently charge $22.00 a
night to park your vehicle, if you are a resort guest.

OG Runner

Let me phrase this a bit differently. If a family of four is dropping $6000-$8000 on average for a 7 night stay, is an additional $100-$175 on top of that going to make or break the family finances? If you can't afford to add an extra fee of less than $200 to a vacation, you can't afford the vacation in the first place. I realize that, if more fees keep getting added over the years, it will eventually be enough to move the vacation price out of the range that some families can afford, but this one extra fee shouldn't make or break a vacation decision;the reason behind the cost, however, might do it.

I agree, that, that is the mindset Disney used to make the decision. However, given we have never seen a room rate reduction and the
cost to get into the parks has been going up fairly regularly also, it just feels wrong. In all honesty, I could definitely find something else
to do with $200.00 on my vacation. Like maybe a nice character breakfast.

philcan

I just did it went to contact us & sent this via email. Now that it is just my wife & I we fly but just knowing they are sticking it to people & rumors of fast pass charge Makes me sad
This is what i sent them. Hi we have been to WDW multiple times. We are a middle class family & have to save so we can go every few years. It was always worth it becasue Disney properties were the exception to others. However I want to voice my displeasure with the new parking fees & rumors of fees for fast pass. Having these free was ALWAYS a perk for my kind of Middle class family it made us feel special. Being able to get a fast pass for free made the vacation that much magical. Prices went up all over yes but If you start charging for these types of things you kill the magic for families like mine. Heck last year we had to pay full price for what was pretty much half of Hollywood Studios. These extra fees are just a money grab & you are no longer in a different class than other parks. Staying on property is not that big of a deal because you gouged me for parking. If these things happen I think we will need to look where else we can vacation in this big country. I had hoped to take my eventual grand kids here but that may not happen if Disney is not any more magical than the park down the road from you .

Goofyernmost

Disney has an enormous moat and few going to get turned off by parking fees to the point they won't go. The problems Disney has with expansion, service and show quality, crowds, lines, etc are much more impactful "issues" that need to be dealt with (some are being dealt with).

Part of the problem with going to Disney is that it's a beating to fight the crowds. I wish they'd raise fees, prices on food, tickets, parking, and gifts to get some of these people to stop showing up in droves. Like double the prices. That would improve the experience more than anything. Disney is flat out too crowded almost all the time now.
I agree, but, in order to cut down on the crowd, in that sense, it means that others are not going to be able to afford to go. Good for you! For them.... not so much. Probably the easiest way for them to do that, but, how will you feel about it when you get caught on the other side of that line?

Tootsie

I feel they are having to do this because people that aren’t staying on property don’t want to pay the park parking, so they are parking at the hotels and getting on busses. I know for a fact that cast members are having to bus in because park goers are parking in cast parking, taking up all the spaces. That’s why you can’t get a bus from Disney Springs to the parks anymore, people park for free at Disney Springs and would get on a bus to the park. Pretty soon you will have paid parking all over the Disney area like they do in California.

Raineman

IMO, Disney should never be anyone's only vacation option, or theme parks period, for that matter. Even if you stick to North America, there are so many places full of history or interesting things to do and see. It just seems like there are quite a few people on here who give the impression that if Disney parks aren't an option for them, they'll just sit at home, and I don't get that at all. You could probably take quite a road trip for the price you would pay for a week at WDW for 3 or 4 people.

Chef Mickey

I agree, but, in order to cut down on the crowd, in that sense, it means that others are not going to be able to afford to go. Good for you! For them.... not so much. Probably the easiest way for them to do that, but, how will you feel about it when you get caught on the other side of that line?
It's not my job to think about that. I don't think everyone "deserves" a trip to Disney World. Things cost money. If it's that important to you, you save and prioritize and work harder/smarter to get what you want.

Disney failed to expand at a rate that would keep up with demand. Now they have 2 options for crowd control.

1) Raise prices SIGNIFICANTLY to drive people away (at least until expansion is done)
2) Do nothing and lose quality.

They have essentially chosen #2, but have increased prices somewhat...but not enough to matter.

There is a third option, which is massive expansion, long overdue. They are doing some, but not nearly enough and it will likely just drive more people anyway.

OG Runner

Disney has an enormous moat and few going to get turned off by parking fees to the point they won't go. The problems Disney has with expansion, service and show quality, crowds, lines, etc are much more impactful "issues" that need to be dealt with (some are being dealt with).

Part of the problem with going to Disney is that it's a beating to fight the crowds. I wish they'd raise fees, prices on food, tickets, parking, and gifts to get some of these people to stop showing up in droves. Like double the prices. That would improve the experience more than anything. Disney is flat out too crowded almost all the time now.

I apologize ahead of time, and I am sure I will get in some kind of trouble for saying this, but you have to be the biggest
idiot I have even come in contact with. I can only hope one day you experience what it is like to want something for your
family, then finding out you can't afford it. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe your attitude.

Goofyernmost

It's not my job to think about that. I don't think everyone "deserves" a trip to Disney World. Things cost money. If it's that important to you, you save and prioritize and work harder/smarter to get what you want.

Disney failed to expand at a rate that would keep up with demand. Now they have 2 options for crowd control.

1) Raise prices SIGNIFICANTLY to drive people away (at least until expansion is done)
2) Do nothing and lose quality.

They have essentially chosen #2, but have increased prices somewhat...but not enough to matter.

There is a third option, which is massive expansion, long overdue. They are doing some, but not nearly enough and it will likely just drive more people anyway.
Exactly... and the need to be loyal to Disney fades with every generation beyond Walt himself. Those coattails are long, but, they are not never ending. Oh, btw, nobody wants to think about that, but, it can happen whether we think about it or not. Right now the economy is doing very well for the very rich. Those of us that are not poor, but, no where close to rich are the ones that will reach that line first.

Raineman

I just did it went to contact us & sent this via email. Now that it is just my wife & I we fly but just knowing they are sticking it to people & rumors of fast pass charge Makes me sad
This is what i sent them. Hi we have been to WDW multiple times. We are a middle class family & have to save so we can go every few years. It was always worth it becasue Disney properties were the exception to others. However I want to voice my displeasure with the new parking fees & rumors of fees for fast pass. Having these free was ALWAYS a perk for my kind of Middle class family it made us feel special. Being able to get a fast pass for free made the vacation that much magical. Prices went up all over yes but If you start charging for these types of things you kill the magic for families like mine. Heck last year we had to pay full price for what was pretty much half of Hollywood Studios. These extra fees are just a money grab & you are no longer in a different class than other parks. Staying on property is not that big of a deal because you gouged me for parking. If these things happen I think we will need to look where else we can vacation in this big country. I had hoped to take my eventual grand kids here but that may not happen if Disney is not any more magical than the park down the road from you .
To preface, I am not trying to pick on you in particular, but some of your points have been shared by quite a few people on here lately, so here goes:
-The pay for FP rumors are just that-rumors. Nothing more than speculation. Until someone with knowledge (like @marni1971 ) brings up the possibility, I wouldn't even let it enter your mind.
-Just wondering why the magic you feel at WDW is tied in proportionately to the prices you are paying? For myself, WDW magic comes from the enjoyment myself and my family get while we are there. If the cost is at a point where it is hard for me to justify the vacation, then we simply won't go-if we are there, we always have a good trip. The magic you feel from the enjoyment and atmosphere on property is the same, no matter the cost, IMO.
-Judging by the discrepancy in value and cost across all forms of transportation and entertainment in 2018, why would you expect Disney to be any different? For quite some time, Disney has been a large, profit-driven corporation. Expecting anything different from them is a fools game at this point, as sad as that sounds.
-I would, as I said in my last post on this thread, highly encourage people to vacation elsewhere as much as possible. WDW should never be your only vacation option-there are so many great things to see and do and experience in this world; don't limit yourself to one small part of it.

Chef Mickey

I apologize ahead of time, and I am sure I will get in some kind of trouble for saying this, but you have to be the biggest
idiot I have even come in contact with. I can only hope one day you experience what it is like to want something for your
family, then finding out you can't afford it. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe your attitude.
I'm not offended because I really don't care what you think. I live in reality and can tell you Disney is still incredibly cheap to the point it has a crowd problem. Just go there. I have an annual pass. Too many people at too many times of year.

Travel to any top destination in the world and you'll see how much travel really costs.

Disney's value story is incredible when you consider all you're getting. Since they failed to expand, too many people come now and it's lowered the quality standard. I'd love it if they raised prices because I'd pay double to cut crowds by even just 1/3.

You're just mad because you don't like my opinion. Doesn't make me an idiot. It makes you soft to get that upset by a post.

Last edited:

gmk3855

I feel they are having to do this because people that aren’t staying on property don’t want to pay the park parking, so they are parking at the hotels and getting on busses. I know for a fact that cast members are having to bus in because park goers are parking in cast parking, taking up all the spaces. That’s why you can’t get a bus from Disney Springs to the parks anymore, people park for free at Disney Springs and would get on a bus to the park. Pretty soon you will have paid parking all over the Disney area like they do in California.

This would be true if it was day time parking fees being added. They are adding fees for overnight parking when the parks are closed and the only people parking there are the resort guests.

Chef Mickey

You need to realize that people are not just losing the magic. The magic is being taken away from them. People are staying in the economy resorts for a reason. Now, if you drive there, you are paying around the cost of another night, over a week, for parking.
It is a money grab, it is wrong and it will affect a lot of people.
That's the idea...to affect a lot of people through a fee. Hotels charge for parking all the time, even when you stay there.

Disney actually doesn't want you to have a car there..makes it easier to leave. Want a car? Pay a fee for it. I paid to park at the Westin in an nondescript location in Baltimore.

I paid a resort fee of $75 PER DAY at the Ritz in the Caymans. This was on top of a $800 room.

Again, Disney still doesn't charge Resort Fees. Wait until they catch up to the rest of the top destinations and start doing that. You're going to hit the ceiling. Disney still hasn't maxed out on fees they CAN charge and people WILL pay.

UncleMike101

I'm not offended because I really don't care what you think. I live in reality and can tell you Disney is still incredibly cheap to the point it has a crowd problem. Just go there. I have an annual pass. Too many people at too many times of year.

Travel to any top destination in the world and you'll see how much travel really costs.

Disney's value story is incredible when you consider all you're getting. Since they failed to expand, too many people come now and it's lowered the quality standard. I'd love it if they raised prices because I'd pay double to cut crowds by even just 1/3.

You're just mad because you don't like my opinion. Doesn't make me an idiot. It makes you soft to get that upset by a post.
Apparently you're financially well off.
Congratulations.
However for the rest of us who aren't awash in money we are forced to scrimp and save to make a trip to that "incredibly cheap" resort.
Yeah........
Sucks to be us....................

scrapdolly

Ok first off the charges don't affect me yet as I was already booked and secondly the $220 on a two week stay isn't the end of the world when you look at what we are already paying, but it is the straw that broke this camels back.

Have been visiting Disney for 25 years and always loved it and felt the magic. Disney was just special
I had never ever contacted Disney other tha to express compliments and praise and thank yous. In the past18 months I have had to contact Disney re concerns on 4 occasions, three of which were e mails to the big 3 because if I have an issue I will tell them not just moan about it. All three e mails were very calm and polite and and all gained a phonecall response. They are good at that. It doesn't make any difference of course as the decisions have been made but the guest services CMs are always very polite. First was the major renovations at CBR when booked 14 months prior to the announcement ... They moved me to POR which was fab. Second was the sudden intro of dog friendly resorts with no warning and no clear details plus Conflicting info everywhere. Then there was an issue with health and safety at MVMCP and now parking charges. It isnt about the money it's about the constant Upselling and up charging, the gradual eroding of everything that made you feel special as a Disney guest, poor mouse keeping, etc etc. We stay moderate and the rooms are small compared to many off property hotels and it just doesn't feel magical anymore. We loved being on property but it seems that in recent years we have had to overlookmore and more short comings over the years. Pay to to get a good view, to do parties, after hours etc and quite frankly we are done with Disney. We have another trip booked and will make the most of it but will not be returning for a very long time, if ever. Disney won't be bothered. They will fill our room allocation easily with new people who won't know that Disney used to be different and special and magical
And to be honest, we are fine with the decision. Our Disney doesn't seem to exist anymore so we will visit other destinations. 25 years .. We had a good innings.

Raineman

If only people would get their back up and demand change for things in life that really matter, like quality of life, stable employment, clean air and water, the evils of society, etc., the same way they are passionate about what WDW should be. We all need to remember that WDW is a personaly chosen leisure activity, not a necessity of life. A little perspective in all of this would be great. Having a break from the worries of life is important, don't get me wrong, but not essential. Maybe keeping this in mind will help some of you to not stress so much about what WDW is doing.

Joebradley62

With the Resort Parking Fees current state, how many of you have contacted Disney to voice your concerns?
Here is how I see it. I have stayed at many, many resorts in my life. In the last several years any resort that is of good quality has started charging resort fees for every day of your stay, nothing extra given of course, just a new fee. It follows the airline industry lead of fees for profit. Many resorts charge for parking and have been for years. It was only a matter of time that Disney followed suit. I don't see them stopping this.

Joebradley62

Exactly... and the need to be loyal to Disney fades with every generation beyond Walt himself. Those coattails are long, but, they are not never ending. Oh, btw, nobody wants to think about that, but, it can happen whether we think about it or not. Right now the economy is doing very well for the very rich. Those of us that are not poor, but, no where close to rich are the ones that will reach that line first.
Everybody likes to make Walt Disney this mythical man who only did this to allow us to go to these parks and first and foremost he was in business and knew it. It is a well crafted persona of this cartoonist who only wanted to tell his stories and then only wanted a park for families to go to have fun, all partly true of course. BUT, in the end, he was a businessman and he was in it to make money.

Goofyernmost

Everybody likes to make Walt Disney this mythical man who only did this to allow us to go to these parks and first and foremost he was in business and knew it. It is a well crafted persona of this cartoonist who only wanted to tell his stories and then only wanted a park for families to go to have fun, all partly true of course. BUT, in the end, he was a businessman and he was in it to make money.
Where did I say he wasn't, he did, however, have a sense about him as to what it would take to build his empire and it wasn't gouging people. What my saying what I said was about is simply this, there is a huge demand for a Disney Park today because of the road that Walt paved and the reputation he, personally built concerning the quality and the worth of that quality. He died almost 52 years ago and that quality is still expected, especially in a park named after him. (Yea, they all are). People go expecting that same quality and over those 52 years, gradually at first, that quality started to decline. That was partially because he was not at the helm demanding that what he saw as quality continued. Yet, the popularity and expectations of that grandness continued on. In recent years, the only thing that matters to the Disney Organization is profit and quality has been sacrificed. What has also been sacrificed is the concern about giving that quality to the public at a fee that wasn't similar to robbery. The coattails are his influence and reputation that continue to say that there will be a unique experience to be had. That is no longer true, there are places where they have taken his playbook and improved on it and are offering quality and a good time. In other words those coattails are tattered and close to being gone.

I have read and viewed a number of things about Walt Disney and I by no means think of him as an angel. I do think of him as a genius that seemed to be able to read the minds of the public and provide something that they didn't know they wanted and, like magic, it turns out that they did want it. That is a special person and that person does not currently work for TWDC.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom