WDW literally falling apart

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is an earlier picture from the site which cannot be named that shows the frame in this state but with no barrier or construction personal.
hollywood-blvd-facade-damage-09262022-4.jpg

Casper Gutman

My complete guess based on available info - ecv hits wall in morning rush, several sections of wall become visibly loose/unsafe with some smaller sections possibly falling off entirely, cms respond to obviously unsafe condition by rapidly removing clearly unsafe sections as stopgap until construction can get there.

ToTBellHop

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My complete guess based on available info - ecv hits wall in morning rush, several sections of wall become visibly loose/unsafe with some smaller sections possibly falling off entirely, cms respond to obviously unsafe condition by rapidly removing clearly unsafe sections as stopgap until construction can get there.

I doubt a non-construction CM would remove an unsafe section when they could simply route people away from the door.

LittleBuford

So only HALF of the facade fell down. Much better! Pixiedusters, rejoice!
No, that’s no what I’m saying. Look at the photo I just posted. You can see that two large panels from the left half of the door are leaning against the structure undamaged, having almost certainly been taken down rather than collapsing. We don’t know how much of the door originally fell or was damaged; all of the available photos seem to show the door after maintenance crews had already responded to whatever happened.

peter11435

Perhaps I’m not allowed to share this screenshot (in which case moderators, please delete), but here’s a picture of the earlier stage referred to by @James Alucobond:

View attachment 669302
The light and the piece it is attached to are clearly undamaged so they too must have been removed after the original damage. If that piece with the light attached had fallen off there would be signs of damage.

lazyboy97o

No, that’s no what I’m saying. Look at the photo I just posted. You can see that two large panels from the left half of the door are leaning against the structure undamaged, having almost certainly been taken down rather than collapsing. We don’t know how much of the door originally fell or was damaged; all of the available photos seem to show the door after maintenance crews had already responded to whatever happened.
Except that’s not how a wall sconce is attached and removed. They’re not part of the panel which is why there are photos of the south sconce removed from the wall. They’re evidence of some sort of failure far more than they are of just removal.

LittleBuford

Except that’s not how a wall sconce is attached and removed. They’re not part of the panel which is why there are photos of the south sconce removed from the wall. They’re evidence of some sort of failure far more than they are of just removable.
I didn’t say they were just removed for the same of it, but in response to some sort of issue or incident.

lazyboy97o

I didn’t say they were just removed for the same of it, but in response to some sort of issue or incident.
And if you were removing them in response to something, you’d take the light off first and then the panel. Like they did on the south side. You wouldn’t pull on the panel and cut the electrical wires. The light and panel being together like that is indicative of a problem.

LittleBuford

And if you were removing them in response to something, you’d take the light off first and then the panel. Like they did on the south side. You wouldn’t pull on the panel and cut the electrical wires. The light and panel being together like that is indicative of a problem.
I don’t understand what you’re taking issue with. My point was only that the two panels in that picture clearly didn’t just collapse, since they are both undamaged. Unless you disagree with that specific point, you’re just arguing for the sake of it.

lazyboy97o

I don’t understand what you’re taking issue with. My point was only that the two panels in that picture clearly didn’t just collapse, since they are both undamaged. Unless you disagree with that specific point, you’re just arguing for the sake of it.
Your point that the panels didn’t collapse is what I am taking issue with. Those photos absolutely suggest some sort of failure of the panels.

LittleBuford

Your point that the panels didn’t collapse is what I am taking issue with. Those photos absolutely suggest some sort of failure of the panels.
I agree with that; the panels would not have been removed otherwise. That’s why I repeatedly referred to some sort of issue/incident. What remains to be determined is the cause of the failure.

lazyboy97o

I agree with that; the panels would not have been removed otherwise. That’s why I repeatedly referred to some sort of issue/incident. What remains to be determined is the cause of the failure.
Those panels being like that are indicative of some sort of underlying adhesion issue (maintenance issue), not just impact damage.

UNCgolf

It looks like there are water stains where the facade was removed, so I assume water was leaking in there -- likely rainwater where something wasn't sealed properly. That could have caused some kind of structural issue.

That does seem like the kind of thing that should have been caught at some point during inspections. Water leaking in will almost always cause an eventual problem, even if it wasn't responsible for this particular issue.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Those panels being like that are indicative of some sort of underlying adhesion issue (maintenance issue), not just impact damage.
We’re going round in circles. My point was that half the door didn’t simply fall to the ground, which is what some here seemed to believe happened.

I’m not sure how an underlying adhesion issue can be attributed to poor maintenance if the issue was previously hidden [ETA: unless, as @UNCgolf suggested, there was some sort of leak that went unaddressed].

Disney Analyst

Hardly a pixie duster here, but long life tells me that there are times when something isn't broken until it's broken. There is nothing one can do to a facade. It is either securely connected to the building or it isn't. If it was glued, which quick glance tells me was the case here, than I am open to any logical suggestion as to what type of "maintenance" could be done to see that it was eventually going to come lose and fall down. There are so many armchair handy men/women that are quick to decide that they are experts in building, or for that matter how maintenance is done. Unusual, yes! Predictable, no!

I had this thought also. Disney is usually on top of painting facades, and refurb work on facades.

Would this have even been caught during their general maintenance? Or is this a case of not knowing it’s unstable until…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom